Towmax Garbage ! Another one bites the dust !!

lucey

Here is my 2013 Cyclone 3800 just under 2 years old. Blown Towmax Chinese junker. So lets talk about this. We have big triple axle toy hauler being sent out of the factory with barely enough tire on them. I was concerned with this when i bought my unit and was assured by the US and Canadian Heartland rep that this was a internet thing and that the ST tires were not a problem. I insisted that i wanted a bigger rim and a real tire and Heartland said i was over reacting and no option was available at that time even though i saw some Cyclones with a G option.

So here are the particulars:

2013 Cyclone 3800
Tires checked prior to departure. 80PSI
Garage empty (couple lacrosse sticks and lacrosse equip bags), fuel empty, water 1/2
Storage filled with 4 chairs, table, camp chef stove, hoses and elec cords
Highway speed 55mph

I caught something out of my mirror and i was like wtf, and then the bang came. The tread was ejected off the tire and did somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000-3000 worth of damage. I changed the tire out for the spare and then decided to check the pressure of all the other tires. All within 1 lb of 80psi.

I called Heartland and they gave me the song and dance and referred me to Towmax. We will see what happens one it gets to Dynamic in Ontario this week.

If you multiply the 3520lbs by 6 you get 21120 max lbs at 80psi. Now if you believe you should run at max weight because your tires say it, i think you are in for a rude awakening. I believe you should have a buffer. I like to use 80% as a rough guide. That brings you to 17,000 lbs. Keep in mind this is my opinion and the way i choose to operate.

The weight of my rig is as follows:

Cyclone 3800 16469 lbs (camp ready garage empty, 0 water, 0 fuel)
Water 500 lbs

I was operating at around 17,000 lbs plus or minus 300 lbs.

I have noticed one of the other tires on the opposite side has a weird indent in the sidewall. This trailer will not make another mile until 17.5 rims and a good commercial grade tires are installed. I now have to find 4-7000 dollars to pay for this mess. If Heartland would of not cheaped out and put some decent standard equipment on i would be singing a different praise im sure. This is not a internet problem. This is real ! Check out the various forums and you will see this en-compasses more than the Heartland brand. It quite frankly covers many different ST tires. Having just enough weight rating to cover the trailer is not enough Heartland ! You know this is a problem ! Solve it !

Here are a couple pictures

10fxms8.jpg

ehb0x0.jpg

caissiel

I see you have the 8 lug wheels. They are most likely good for G rated tires.
My Chinese Freestars are going on 7 years old and about 50 k miles, and no problems. I plan on installing Sailun tires model 637 that are much cheaper then GYs.
Ya ST tires for me have been junk and never want any of those on my trailers not even my service utility trailer.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

Appleguy

I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me over Memorial Day weekend. But fortunately we had a lot less damage. be prepared to wait awhile for Dynamic to contact you. Tredit started a liability claim with Dynamic over a week ago and they as well as Heartland warned me that Dynamic is not real speedy about contacting folks who have filed claims. I replaced all 4 Towmaxes with G rated Geostars on the original rims. The Geostars weighed nearly 20# per tire and have real stiff sidewalls. They have a good reputation. be sure to keep your Towmaxes as I was told Dynamic wants them for inspection. The only tire that should be on these toyhaulers is a G rated tire from the factory.

lucey

Im not holding my breath on Heartland or Dynamic. I can bet a case of fine Canadian beer they will do absolutely nothing. I am installing 17.5 wheels with either Goodyear G114 or Continental HTL2s. Enough of this garbage. I truly thought Heartland was smarter than this !

scottyb

Sorry for you pain. Just yesterday, I priced 17.5" wheels with Michellin XTA's J rated, at Trailer Tires and Wheels. The total for 6 was $4050, mounted and balanced, with free shipping. They offer several other less expensive H rated alternatives for the same wheels, but I am a Michellin fan. I am pleased with my XPS Ribs but they have even a lower weight rating than the Towmax. However, they are commercial LT's and have a full steel encasement and literally weigh almost twice as much as the Towmax. I have 11K mi on them and the only thing I don't like is the clearance between tires. When the time comes, I will probably replace them with the 17.5's and H or J rated tires.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sad but true. Its also sad that dealers don't know or wont tell a customer that up graded tires are available on an ordered coach. I know for a fact that HL has installed GY G614's and 17.5 wheels and tires at the plant.

lucey

I was pretty surprised to see Dynamic call me and arrange for the shipping of tire back to them today. That was only 2 says later. I'm still in doubt that anything will be done about my situation. Will be interesting for sure.

iawoody2

Remember when talking weight that about 20% should be on the pin, not the axles. Mine weights 12300 with 2500 on the pin and 9800 on the axles. I'm very happy with my BFG Commercial TAs.

stevenssr

Yeah, it doesn't sound like an internet over reaction to me either. The internet just allows us to communicate and determine this is a systemic problem. I would love for Heartland to investigate this issue, and communicate a solution. There is a root cause to this problem that can be addressed. I've got these tires on mine and I feel like I'm on borrowed time.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yeah, it doesn't sound like an internet over reaction to me either. The internet just allows us to communicate and determine this is a systemic problem. I would love for Heartland to investigate this issue, and communicate a solution. There is a root cause to this problem that can be addressed. I've got these tires on mine and I feel like I'm on borrowed time.

My understanding is that all 2015 Bighorn, Big Country and Landmarks come with Saliun tires now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevenssr

My understanding is that all 2015 Bighorn, Big Country and Landmarks come with Saliun tires now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At some point, these tires are going to hurt someone (in the tow vehicle or a vehicle in close proximity) and drive a recall. A recall is going to involve removing them from new units, and getting them off the old units. Even if they have addressed the new units, at some point they need to address all the units that have these tires on them. I love Heartland trailers and my trailer, but these tires are not just causing property damage. They are dangerous to us, and other vehicles on the road.

I still believe there is a root cause to the systemic failure of these tires. Heartland should get the manufacturer to determine the cause of the failures, address it, and correct all the bad product that are in use. If the manufacturer refuses to cooperate then Heartland should step up and take responsibility for the product they have chosen to use, and address it themselves. That, or we sit around and wait for all the failures to keep coming in and destroying the reputation of a product we all love.

lucey

Id sure like a rep to comment in here. Especially since they told me what they told me. I cant believe they so far have washed their hands of this mess. Kinda not the Heartland ive grown to love. I watched my tread fly off before the tire exploded. I cant wait to see Dynamic tell me this is my fault. They havent seen or heard the last of me. Wish i would of changed them when the trailer arrived last year.

pegmikef

Sad but true. Its also sad that dealers don't know or wont tell a customer that up graded tires are available on an ordered coach. I know for a fact that HL has installed GY G614's and 17.5 wheels and tires at the plant.

I don't think it is fair to make a blanket indictment against all dealers because several dealers (Ron Hoover, ExploreUSA, and Big Country RV to name a few) told me the option was available when I was shopping around for my fiver and I exercised the option when I finally ordered my BH.

Sunset4k

As newbie RVers last year, we had no idea, and the dealership did not tell us about the Tomax tire issues when we purchased.. We have had our Elkridge exactly a year. What we didn't know until just recently is that the tires already had 2000 miles on them when we bought the trailer new!! It had gone from Elkhart, to Little Rock and, to several other dealerships before it wound up here in Texas. So while we thought we had only put 3000 miles on the tires in reality it is closer to 5,000, and still The tires are totally shot. .huge bubbles the size of your hand on two of them. Getting new tires installed Monday... Not sure of any warranty we might have as there was no tire info in our paperwork. You can bet if and when we step up to a Big Country... It will be ordered with the G614tires tires. Frustrating to have to by new tires at 5,000 miles!!!

scottyb

As newbie RVers last year, we had no idea, and the dealership did not tell us about the Tomax tire issues when we purchased.. We have had our Elkridge exactly a year. What we didn't know until just recently is that the tires already had 2000 miles on them when we bought the trailer new!! It had gone from Elkhart, to Little Rock and, to several other dealerships before it wound up here in Texas. So while we thought we had only put 3000 miles on the tires in reality it is closer to 5,000, and still The tires are totally shot. .huge bubbles the size of your hand on two of them. Getting new tires installed Monday... Not sure of any warranty we might have as there was no tire info in our paperwork. You can bet if and when we step up to a Big Country... It will be ordered with the G614tires tires. Frustrating to have to by new tires at 5,000 miles!!!

You are one of the lucky ones before you suffered any damages. Look at it this way. If you ordered upgrade tires from HL, someone who you do not know and have no control over, would have towed your rig to Texas on you high dollar tires. Now for virtually the same amount of money, you will have a fresh set of the tires of your choice, and not limited to what was offered.

Jim.Allison

Here is my 2013 Cyclone 3800 just under 2 years old. Blown Towmax Chinese junker. So lets talk about this. We have big triple axle toy hauler being sent out of the factory with barely enough tire on them. I was concerned with this when i bought my unit and was assured by the US and Canadian Heartland rep that this was a internet thing and that the ST tires were not a problem. I insisted that i wanted a bigger rim and a real tire and Heartland said i was over reacting and no option was available at that time even though i saw some Cyclones with a G option.

So here are the particulars:

2013 Cyclone 3800
Tires checked prior to departure. 80PSI
Garage empty (couple lacrosse sticks and lacrosse equip bags), fuel empty, water 1/2
Storage filled with 4 chairs, table, camp chef stove, hoses and elec cords
Highway speed 55mph

I caught something out of my mirror and i was like wtf, and then the bang came. The tread was ejected off the tire and did somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000-3000 worth of damage. I changed the tire out for the spare and then decided to check the pressure of all the other tires. All within 1 lb of 80psi.

I called Heartland and they gave me the song and dance and referred me to Towmax. We will see what happens one it gets to Dynamic in Ontario this week.

If you multiply the 3520lbs by 6 you get 21120 max lbs at 80psi. Now if you believe you should run at max weight because your tires say it, i think you are in for a rude awakening. I believe you should have a buffer. I like to use 80% as a rough guide. That brings you to 17,000 lbs. Keep in mind this is my opinion and the way i choose to operate.

The weight of my rig is as follows:

Cyclone 3800 16469 lbs (camp ready garage empty, 0 water, 0 fuel)
Water 500 lbs

I was operating at around 17,000 lbs plus or minus 300 lbs.

I have noticed one of the other tires on the opposite side has a weird indent in the sidewall. This trailer will not make another mile until 17.5 rims and a good commercial grade tires are installed. I now have to find 4-7000 dollars to pay for this mess. If Heartland would of not cheaped out and put some decent standard equipment on i would be singing a different praise im sure. This is not a internet problem. This is real ! Check out the various forums and you will see this en-compasses more than the Heartland brand. It quite frankly covers many different ST tires. Having just enough weight rating to cover the trailer is not enough Heartland ! You know this is a problem ! Solve it !

Here are a couple pictures

10fxms8.jpg

ehb0x0.jpg

I lost my China Bomb ST tire at 1600 miles. BUY HiSpec 17.5 wheels and Goodyear G114 tires, look for internet pricing for assemblies, be sure to buy a spare. Thats all I got to say. ST tires are not up to the job in this application. Sell your remaining Towmax to a local landscaper, keep your rims for when you sell your rig. You will want to keep your HiSpec wheels and G114 tires. Bite the bullet and make this problem go away. File a claim with insurance for the damage, if you are declined, do internet research and grieve it. Liberty M. paid for my China bomb damage. 2014 rig still in the shop for 30 days now. I spent a weekend that should have been pleasant, but instead was filled with worry about having no spare, and who was going to compensate me for the damage. Like I said sell the China bombs to your landscaper, put some real tires on and go do the Al-Can Highway, or the Badlands, or I-10 east to west in the summer without worry. HiSpec 17.5, g-117 tires. You will be glad you did. A less expensive way is the G614 and put them on your existing 16 in wheels. But then you are still skating on the edge.

Jim.Allison

TowMax 3520 at 80 PSI at 65 MPH........ Stock 16 inch rims 3750 @ 110 psi rated w/ Goodyear G614 rated 3750 at 110 PSI at 75 MPH........ 17.5 inch HiSpec rims mod 3 w/ Goodyear G114, 4800 at 120 psi at 75 MPH. The choice is clear to me. Which tires do you want carrying the load on your next 2000 mile adventure?

lucey

I just bought Hi Spec wheels 17.5 and i went with the Continental HTL2s. Im done with Towmax. See what they say. Im sure they will sweep it under the rug. Never heard them step up ever !!

stevenssr

I just bought Hi Spec wheels 17.5 and i went with the Continental HTL2s. Im done with Towmax. See what they say. Im sure they will sweep it under the rug. Never heard them step up ever !!

Sounds like you did the right thing (although an expensive move). The last thing we want is a credit towards a new set of Towmax tires. I'm assuming that's the best they will do, even if they do that. I'm getting ready to do something myself. No tires are perfect, but this seems to be a good step towards minimizing our risk to future problems.