Fresh water pump problem.

Dan50

I have an Elkridge 34QSRL and am having a problem with the water pump. The pump comes on when any faucet is opened or the toilet flushed a it should. There seems to be a lot of air in the line at times so you would think that it is sucking air on the intake line or a leak on the output. Water pressure is not that great either. The thing is that the pump will shut off when the faucet is shut off and hold pressure as it should. It does not cycle quickly like it is losing pressure when shut off and has to build it back up again. Sometimes it will not shut off unless you open up both faucets to get a strong flow then shut them of. The pump will then build pressure and shut off and hold pressure. I'm thinking that if I have a leak anywhere then the pump would not shut off and hold pressure. Suggestions or ideas?

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It is normal for the pump to run when a faucet is opened or the toilet is flushed.
If you feel that there is too much air in the lines you might want to check a few things.
Take a look at the fittings on the water pump as well as looking for a kinked line at the pump area.
Also be sure that you have enough water in the fresh water tank.
Don't rely on the gauge for the level.

Peace
Dave

Dan50

Cookie. I know the pump is supposed to come on when there is a call for water. My point is that if it was sucking air then it wouldn't shut off but it does and does not cycle. The tank is full.

danemayer

Check the winterizing valve that sucks in antifreeze. If partially open, you'll get a mix of air and water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dan50

Sounds normal to me. Open faucet, pump runs. Close faucet, pump stops.

But is it normal to always have air in the system and lower water pressure. All valves are closed as thy should be and the fresh water tank is half full.

Garypowell

Sounds like you just have some air intrusion someplace along the inlet side. One thing you could do to "prove" this is have someone run the pump while you watch it......well let me step back.... I have a clear strainer on my pump....not sure if this is standard or not. But if it is...then you have one too.

Back to my point....watch through the clean strainer and see if you see air coming through. If it is a solid stream of water with no bubbles....then not sure what the problem is....unless the pump has an internal leak. If you do see bubbles/air....then you have a leak upstream of the pump letting it suck in air.

danemayer

When you say "there's a lot of air in the line at times," I'm interpreting that as you open the faucet and some water comes out in a spurt, followed by air and some mist, followed by a stream of water, followed by air, etc.

Is that what you're seeing, or something else?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have a 34QSRL. Do you have the Andersen 4-way valve, or do you have to go behind the basement wall to access your pump and bypass valves?

If you have the "behind the wall valves", could your winterizing valve off the pump (the hose to draw antifreeze) be slightly open? We have had the plastic valve handle crack on this valve before, making it appear closed when it wasn't. In fact, check all your bypass valves behind the basement wall.

Other than that, kinked line from tank to pump might be a possibility, but this line is pex so it's not as likely.

Is the fresh tank drain closed entirely? You are sure your tank is full?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rickhansen

Not sure I understand, but here's a thought:

Air is compressable, water is not.

Hypothetical: If you have air in the pressurized side of the system, the pump will continue to run to keep pushing water into the system until the air is sufficiently compressed and the water pressure eventually increases enough to shut the pump off. At times when the air is purged (like after opening both faucets?) the pump quickly builds to the proper pressure as to shut itself off.

evolvingpowercat

there is a in-line debris filter and two plastic connections with plastic nuts on the inlet side of the water pump. tighten them both as much as you can by hand, this is where I once had problems with the water pump on my Edge sucking in some air when the pump was generating suction.