Battery Cutoff Switch

GaryB

Hi: Since the Big Horn does not come with (or have as an option) a battery cutoff switch, what are most of you doing? Have you installed your own, or do you unhook the battery cables during storage, or do you just do nothing? I'm wondering how much the batteries will discharge during storage (due to parasitic loads) if a cutoff switch is not installed.

Thanks
Gary

jbeletti

Gary,

In long-term storage with no battery recharging, the batteries will discharge from the parasitic loads. Add a switch. I'd add it nearest to the battery I could get. Blue Sea Systems (from West Marine) and Perko plus others make decent insulated, rotary style switches.

Jim

dieselengineer

Charter Member
If you want a little more protection, install a main circuit breaker. The breakers are available in different amperage ratings. I use a 60 A for the main and an 150 A for the inverter. The breakers have a nice lever to use as a switch. Install the breaker as close to the battery's as possible. Safer then just a switch

GaryB

My dealer quoted me $212 (Ouch!) to install a cutoff switch on the Big Horn 3055RL that I have on order. Has anybody ever used a simple manual cutoff device such as the "Green Knob" (see link below)? It only costs $5 and attaches easily. Is there any reason why this won't work as well as a hardwired switch?

http://www.utopiatools.com/Detail.bok?no=41

Thanks!
Gary

jpmorgan37

Gary;

I would go with the Perko or any good quality "marine" type switch. For safety reasons, they should be spark free and they should also be rated for the maximum current draw that they would be subjected to.

John

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JP, the cut off switch that GARY B. has found is the same one GM gives us for there cars. Bob:D:D:eek:

GaryB

Question - in an '09 3055RL, can I simply remove a fuse to accomplish the same purpose as a battery cutoff switch? Alternately, do the battery cables have a wing nut that makes it simple to just remove the negative cable after each trip? I'll be picking up my 3055RL on Wednesday and prefer to wait awhile before adding more options like cutoff switches, if possible.

Thanks
Gary