Tire temps

Snow

Just came back from Bethpage last weekend and got to use my tst system for the first time and vary pleased with it but a couple of questions,, one is why would the temps vary so much between drivers side and passenger side exp driver side would be 74 degrees and passenger side would be 82 degrees about 7or 8 degree difference on the truck and rv both the next is will the air pressure be ok going to about 86 psi and that's on all the tires on both tv and rv and my rv is 40 ft but I didn't hook up the repeater and it did fine without it is this something I should go ahead and put on ? We are going to the outer banks next week so I will try it again thanks. ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️ Jeff

f250dieseldad

The temperature variation from side to side is caused by one side is the sunny side. If you are starting out at 80 psi I think going up to 86 is fine.

Miltp920

I am new to tire monitoring too. I upraded to 95 psi 12 ply tires. On this trip I had one tire hit 105 psi. A friend with more experience told me 10-12 psi is normal. I have also seen 20 degrees rise from start of day, but the temperature outside went up too. I even got a temp alarm twice! I think my temp alarm is set at 20 degrees rise. I just watched more closely, and temps came down a few degrees. I am keeping a log so I can learn what is normal and when to be concerned. have also seen one side higher that the other. It could be the sun. I am thinking some of it is braking, drum heating. My temps will go up when I am doing alot of braking. Once I could not keep my hand on my rim. Based on what I have been told and what I have observed over my 1000 miles, over 12psi gain I watch more, and maybe at 15 psi I pull over and check things better. I am thinking 20 degrees over outside temp, watch closely, if continue to rise, pull over. I was considering having my brake adjustments checked, but I am under 1 yr old, and about 1500 miles max. So far. I am sure a more experienced hauler will chime in with 10,000 miles experience, and we will both learn.

SeattleLion

Last weekend was our first trip. Conveniently, it was 70 deg when we left and the pressure in all four tires was exactly 80psi. With the outside temp at about 80, the tires were 90psi and 85 to 90 deg. I believe this is perfectly normal. As the tires flex, they warm up and the air inside gets hotter and expands, raising the pressure. Tires are made to do this. Some people think they should bleed off the "excess" pressure. Big mistake. If you have 80psi (in my Towmax E's), then whatever changes with driving and outside temps is ok. There is a lot of misinformation floating around the net regarding tire pressure. Common sense and tire manufacturers say to inflate the trailer tires to the max pressure indicated on the sidewall. Try to do it when the tires are cool. If the tires are warm you could end up underinflating.

jnbhobe

I think your over thinking the whole thing.The lowest high temp alarm setting on TST is 157*. A 20 to 25 degree temp rise is normal. I also have seen 20 to 25 lbs. of pressure rise. The sunny side is always more. Look for big differences in one tire from the rest and be concerned about that.

iawoody2

From what I've read the temperature reading is at 70 degrees. I try to check mine at 70 before traveling and then several times before heading out each day.

scottyb

I think the OP's concern was not the rise in temperature, but the disparity between the driver's and passenger's side. I have observed the same thing and at first I thought it was due to the sunny side. However, I have noticed that it makes no difference which side the sun is on, the passenger side is alway 8-10 degrees warmer than the driver's side. My theory is exhuast gas from the tow vehicle. Think about where that gas is dischatged. For those of us with the 507 and flow through sensors, they are a good 3-4" away from the tire. A continuous flow of super heated exhaust gas could influence them.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I would think that the load (weight distribution) in the trailer could also be a cause for this . . .

donr827

I think your over thinking the whole thing.The lowest high temp alarm setting on TST is 157*. A 20 to 25 degree temp rise is normal. I also have seen 20 to 25 lbs. of pressure rise. The sunny side is always more. Look for big differences in one tire from the rest and be concerned about that.
Good points. If I remember from what I read in the TST manual is that when the temp of the tire gets above 157 degrees the tires can be damaged from heat. Suggestion is to slow down a little and the temp will usually go down.Don

Garypowell

Moved from Jacksonville, FL to Savannah, GA yesterday. My G614's made it up to about 95 deg and averaged around 118+ pounds in air.

What at I was watching for the first time were my truck tires as this was my first time with sensors in the wheels. Temperature was really different front to back with the back being much higher since it had the load.

The backs (80 PSI @ 70 deg) made it up to around 93 PSI and the temperature was up to 140 degrees. I have read that about a 60 deg rise over ambient will be seen and is OK. It was 90 deg during the trip so I only had a 50 deg rise.

I have not weighed myself this trip but am always right at the limit for my truck so I was pleased about these parameters.

Oh, just to not raise too many concerns I have the Valor system so these are inside the wheel temperatures and pressures.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Moved from Jacksonville, FL to Savannah, GA yesterday. My G614's made it up to about 95 deg and averaged around 118+ pounds in air.

What at I was watching for the first time were my truck tires as this was my first time with sensors in the wheels. Temperature was really different front to back with the back being much higher since it had the load.

The backs (80 PSI @ 70 deg) made it up to around 93 PSI and the temperature was up to 140 degrees. I have read that about a 60 deg rise over ambient will be seen and is OK. It was 90 deg during the trip so I only had a 50 deg rise.

I have not weighed myself this trip but am always right at the limit for my truck so I was pleased about these parameters.

Oh, just to not raise too many concerns I have the Valor system so these are inside the wheel temperatures and pressures.

Wow, the highest temps we've seen on 80 psi Maxxis tires is around 120, on 100 degree days.

Are you running G614s at 80psi? I thought they were recommended 110 psi tires.

Oops! On edit, I see you are referencing truck tires. That still seems excessive. Our dually with pin weight around 3200lbs -- tires run at 75 to 80psi, last weekend temp outside in 80s, the tires ran about 95-100 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miltp920

My tiretraker TT400C first temp alarmis at 167 degrees. Also 25% increase in pressure from baseline.

Snow

I think the OP's concern was not the rise in temperature, but the disparity between the driver's and passenger's side. I have observed the same thing and at first I thought it was due to the sunny side. However, I have noticed that it makes no difference which side the sun is on, the passenger side is alway 8-10 degrees warmer than the driver's side. My theory is exhuast gas from the tow vehicle. Think about where that gas is dischatged. For those of us with the 507 and flow through sensors, they are a good 3-4" away from the tire. A continuous flow of super heated exhaust gas could influence them.

makes since ,I thought maybe sun also but the exhaust and maybe more weight but it looks like iam fine according to all the posts the PSI increase bothered me the most I thought that was high . I saw 10-12 psi a few times on the right side . I will say it made my trip a little more comfortable watching the monitor and being able see whats going on while driving a great purchase and a great company to deal with thanks for all the replies , I learn something new on this forum everyday , Have a blessed day " the snowman "

porthole

Retired
I learned with using a tire monitor that you became aware of things you never worried about before. Simple thing is to learn what is normal for your rig and then adjust the parameters of the monitor.
After a year of use i was still bumping the alarm limits until I found what is now the highest PSI increase I would expect on a hot, long highway run.

With my G114 tires I start out at either 110 or 115 and have seen as high as 140+
Time has shown that high number is not unusual and I have my overpressure alarm set at 145 now.

Garypowell

Erika,

Thanks for the note....yes it was my SRW Chevy 2500HD Diesel. I have always been "concerned" about how the back tires are doing. But as Porthole said I knew they were OK....we have pulled this rig maybe 7,500 miles now with no effect on the tires. Our last HL was a 3055 and was used on these tires too. But was always curious about their temperatures.

I normally get about 35,000 out of a set of tires. But I promised myself myself I would always keep good rubber on these wheels since it was SRW.

From what I have read this is all OK....sure would be nice to run at 100 deg.....but if it does not work that way it does not.

I also usually only go 65 in 70 zones. I recently wrote in Cruise Control posting that I use Cruise and going slower helps with this. And it makes the ride more enjoyable.

Best,

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika,

Thanks for the note....yes it was my SRW Chevy 2500HD Diesel. I have always been "concerned" about how the back tires are doing. But as Porthole said I knew they were OK....we have pulled this rig maybe 7,500 miles now with no effect on the tires. Our last HL was a 3055 and was used on these tires too. But was always curious about their temperatures.

I normally get about 35,000 out of a set of tires. But I promised myself myself I would always keep good rubber on these wheels since it was SRW.

From what I have read this is all OK....sure would be nice to run at 100 deg.....but if it does not work that way it does not.

I also usually only go 65 in 70 zones. I recently wrote in Cruise Control posting that I use Cruise and going slower helps with this. And it makes the ride more enjoyable.

Best,

Ok, yes there are a lot of variables - dual vs single, different trailers, speed, ambient temps, etc. btw we run at 63mph, and use cruise when highway driving permits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk