Full timing in our 3500RE

nikljones

Our new full-time home (well since Feb). We've traveled over 3500 miles so far and have only just begun. We very much like our Gateway though there are some things we don't like or have concerns about. One problem which has continued even after a trip to the dealer for adjustment is our two living area slides are hard to get in and out. The kitchen slide is especially hard to get out and usually hangs at the top. We've tried all the suggestions about leveling, lubing and still no luck. Now our dining side slide appears to be out of adjustment. So another trip to a dealer as soon as we can get close to one and schedule. Our biggest concern is the overall height of the trailer. We had it weighed and measured at an Escapee Smartweigh and it was measured at 13'7". We raised the pin box since we couldn't lower the hitch and we are now just a hair under 13'6". My thoughts would be that if Heartland had put on a low-profile AC unit in the front we would have been sitting at about 13'2" (maybe our only real solution to lower the overall height). The trailer rides level after the pin box adjustment.

Some usual leaks, things starting to separate (trim etc), one gray valve not closing (again even after repair like the slides). But having said that, I will say that we are happy campers. We are comfortable. It pulls like a dream. I get decent fuel mileage (though I'll really be testing that as I pull through the Rockies this next week). Even with the few problems we are very pleased we went with the Gateway. It took us 7 months to decide and worth every minute we took researching and looking before we found it.

Our journey so far has taken us from Cocoa, FL to Texas (various places) and currently in Cheyenne, WY headed to Salmon, ID and then on to the West coast for the 4 months.

Thanks for the listening ear and maybe we'll see you pulling down the road.

danemayer

We had it weighed and measured at an Escapee Smartweigh and it was measured at 13'7". We raised the pin box since we couldn't lower the hitch and we are now just a hair under 13'6".
Is the trailer riding several inches nose high? If so, you're putting uneven weight distribution on your axles, wheels and tires. If the pin box is at end of adjustment, maybe the truck needs to sit lower.