SOLVED: Residential Fridge problem

BLHFUN

The inverter lights comes on and the fridge turns on for about 1 minute. The light is still on the remote switch, as if the inverter is still working, but then turns off about 2 minutes later. Both batteries are brand new and fully charged. I'm having to run my generator on the road to keep the fridge cold and on. What am I missing?

Suggestions?

jbeletti

Re: Inverter for fridge problem

Download the Residential Refrigerator User Guide. Study it and keep it in the RV.

I'd suggest you first check the GFCI outlet on the end of the inverter. My guess is that it is tripped. With the generator on, try to press the reset button on the Inverters GFCI.

Last edited:

Bogie

Is the charger for your batteries still in the circuit when you are using the inverter? Unless there is an isolation device, the inverter won't like it because it's like trying to charge the batteries from the batteries. I installed a separate circuit breaker for the charger which I turn off whenever I use the inverter. I left it on once by accident and inverter would not work properly.

danemayer

Is the charger for your batteries still in the circuit when you are using the inverter? Unless there is an isolation device, the inverter won't like it because it's like trying to charge the batteries from the batteries. I installed a separate circuit breaker for the charger which I turn off whenever I use the inverter. I left it on once by accident and inverter would not work properly.
This doesn't apply to the residential refrigerator's inverter. It's dedicated to the refrigerator circuit.

Hunter11

Bart, you are not missing anything. Call Heartland and let them know about the inverter problem with the residential fridge as it is a known issue with the new models. I have it and so do several others. They sent me a new inverter for the mobile tech to install Monday but it is the same one that is in the trailer now. If this does not work then they are going to have to do something to fix it.

BLHFUN

No worries. Thanks everyone for the replies. Short run across Tennessee today, so I'll just run the gen. I was hoping for a little button ( like the TV booster) to fix it! :)

jdamude

The inverter lights comes on and the fridge turns on for about 1 minute. The light is still on the remote switch, as if the inverter is still working, but then turns off about 2 minutes later. Both batteries are brand new and fully charged. I'm having to run my generator on the road to keep the fridge cold and on. What am I missing?

Suggestions?
I too have a new 3650rl that we used for the first time this weekend. We tried using the invertor and it turns the fridge on for appriximately one minute then cuts out. When this happens the invertor starts beeping. Both batteries are new and charged. Can anyone offer some advice?

thanks
Jeff

danemayer

I too have a new 3650rl that we used for the first time this weekend. We tried using the invertor and it turns the fridge on for appriximately one minute then cuts out. When this happens the invertor starts beeping. Both batteries are new and charged. Can anyone offer some advice?

thanks
Jeff
Hi jdamude,

Take a look at the Residential Refrigerator Guide. There's a block diagram of the wiring that you can use to follow the electrical wiring from batteries to your inverter and on to the transfer switch. Make sure all the wires are tight and that the crimps are holding the wires tightly.

If you don't find anything, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. There are a few other people having similar problems, so Heartland needs to know that you're also having a problem.

scottyb

I don't have the residential fridge, but your symptoms sound like low volage from the batteries. My inverter will signal and shut down when the batteries drop below a certain level. Could be a battery charging issue.

Hunter11

Jeff, as I said in my earlier post call Heartland and report it they know there is an issue on the newer models with the residential fridge. They all seem to act the same, disconnect power and switch it to the inverter and within 1 to 2 minutes it will shutdown.

alethaj

We picked up our 2015 Big Horn 3755FL on Wed....we bought it last Friday..(May 30) but the Residental Fridge was not working..a rep came out to dealership and said it was fried...we were waiting for a new fridge and finally we decided to just take the unit home with out the fridge so we could load the coach. Got a call last night that a replacement fridge had arrived and we can bring the coach back to dealership for installation...(100 mi round trip)..since we are also waiting for slide toppers to come in we will take the unit back next week and hopefully get everything installed at the same time....I am glad to have come across this thread as now we will ask them to unplug the unit and let the fridge run on the inverter and see how that goes..hate to have it working at the dealership and by the time we get home it will be off..When we travel I have a full fridge and freezer...hate to lose all of that due to a glich in the fridge..thanks for all the information on Heartland products...really learning alot..

jdamude

We picked up our 2015 Big Horn 3755FL on Wed....we bought it last Friday..(May 30) but the Residental Fridge was not working..a rep came out to dealership and said it was fried...we were waiting for a new fridge and finally we decided to just take the unit home with out the fridge so we could load the coach. Got a call last night that a replacement fridge had arrived and we can bring the coach back to dealership for installation...(100 mi round trip)..since we are also waiting for slide toppers to come in we will take the unit back next week and hopefully get everything installed at the same time....I am glad to have come across this thread as now we will ask them to unplug the unit and let the fridge run on the inverter and see how that goes..hate to have it working at the dealership and by the time we get home it will be off..When we travel I have a full fridge and freezer...hate to lose all of that due to a glich in the fridge..thanks for all the information on Heartland products...really learning alot..

We talked to Heartland this morning along with Magnum. It appears that the inverter is not sufficient enough to run the fridge. The main problem is the amperage the ice maker draws. Engineers from both companies are working on a solution. Stay tuned as we give them some time to work out a solution.

Thanks
Jeff

aRAYwego

The solution they came up with for mine was a larger inverter. Works perfectly now.

Hunter11

We talked to Heartland this morning along with Magnum. It appears that the inverter is not sufficient enough to run the fridge.

Great, they sent me the same make and size inverter that the trailer came with for a fix for ours. It is suppose to be installed next week. I guess we will go through the motions and install the new one and see what they do if that does not work. It is on their nickel not mine.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Sorry to hear you're having a few problems with your Grand Canyon. Guess we've been lucky with ours - nothing to speak of that wasn't a simple fix. Always great to see a fellow Doxie owner on the forum. :)

danemayer

Great, they sent me the same make and size inverter that the trailer came with for a fix for ours. It is suppose to be installed next week. I guess we will go through the motions and install the new one and see what they do if that does not work. It is on their nickel not mine.
My guess is that either the inverter or the refrigerator is not performing to specifications. So a new inverter of the same model may very well fix the problem.

Hunter11

Sorry to hear you're having a few problems with your Grand Canyon. Guess we've been lucky with ours - nothing to speak of that wasn't a simple fix. Always great to see a fellow Doxie owner on the forum.

Gus, it has been quite a challenge so far with all the issues but we re trying to remain positive and give Heartland a chance to make things right. As far as the Doxies, ours are like most others, a handful......

Dan, I would guess the same thing except for the information Jeff posted earlier that he received from Heartland and Magnum. I guess we will find out if the same size updated 1000 watt will work on ours after the mobile RV tech comes out Monday to try and deal with some of our issues. Again, think POSITIVE!

danemayer

Dan, I would guess the same thing except for the information Jeff posted earlier that he received from Heartland and Magnum. I guess we will find out if the same size updated 1000 watt will work on ours after the mobile RV tech comes out Monday to try and deal with some of our issues. Again, think POSITIVE!

All of you who are having problems with the inverter can run a little test: use the switch inside to turn off the icemaker. It won't make ice while traveling, but if it works, you'll have confirmed the problem and will have an easy workaround until Heartland has the long-term fix. You should be able to reach behind the ice cream shelf to operate the ice maker rocker switch.

Post your results.

And of course once you're on shore power you can turn the ice maker ON to make ice.

Attachments

• ice maker switch annotated.jpg
    ice maker switch annotated.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 78