New solar user with questions.

ChopperBill

Bought a solar panel and controller while here in AZ. I have it mounted on my step ladder but will make provision for a stand. We are in trees a lot of the time in the summer and portability was a big concern, plus I can take it along for our truck camper use. It is suppose to be a 110 watt,17 volt, 6.3 amp panel. When the panel is in direct sun light my controller and test meter shows it puts out up to 20 volts and 7.9 amps. Is this normal or did I get a panel that puts out more than it is rated? I have two 6 volt batteries and it does a supper job of charging them. Do you think it will be enough if I add two more batteries?

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I beleive that the two 6 volt batteries you have is about all you can expect to charge with the one panel you have. I have four. 130 watt panels and two controlers for two sets of T-120 six volt batteries along with a 3,000 watt inverter. They first installed two panels to charge the four batteries but I insisted they put two more panels on the trailer and they do a super job. I think I could easily add at least two more batteries to my system and may do that in the future.

Don

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
That's not that strange. We have a 125 watt panel, rated for 7.2 amps, and out in AZ we've gotten as much as 9 amps....in direct sun of course.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Just noticed the second part of your question. The 110 watt panel will not be enough. We have 4 T-105's and the 125 watt will not fully recharge our bank. We are thinking of adding another panel later. We usually have to run the generator several hours in the evening to bring them to full charge.

timk

6 amps is 6 amps. Now your dividing it by two. If you add more batteries your dividing it even further, but 6 amps is still 6 amps. With four batteries it will act more like a trickle charger. But, if you only use say, 40-60 amps a day, you should come pretty close to putting it back in, assuming your phantom loads are not too high. If you have any kind of meter, its pretty easy to watch.

ChopperBill

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in my reply. Just got back from a two day trip from not to warm Parker AZ to fridge Northern Colo. The solar dealer told me one 110 panel was enough for my two 6 volts but would have to add another 110 for two more. They had a 128 watt panel for only $50 more but he said I would just be throwing my money away as I would need two panels anyway and two 110 panels would be enough for 4 batteries. If we hadn't had to run the furnace so much I don't think I would have had to run the generator much at all with our daily use. I think our next step is to get one of those catalytic heaters for most of our heat needs. Lots of folks had them in AZ and highly recommend them. They are a LOT cheaper than another solar panel and two batteries.