Unsupported foot of mattress?

Kuettels

We are wondering why the foot end of the mattress overhangs the bed base, so about 10" is unsupported.
Is there a reason for this?

jimtoo

Hi Kuettels,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You do not tell us which model you have, so hopefully someone with the same unit can give their opinion or let us know how their's fits. I have never heard of a mattress not being fully supported. Are you saying there is not any plywood or base of support under the end/foot of the mattress at all?

Jim M

Tundra2084

Our mattress is the same way, but that I assume is because the bed is in a slide. When retracted the mattress is pushed up against our dresser at the end of the bed. If it had a firm footing at the end, it would not allow for full retracting back into the bedroom because the footing would hit the dresser.

wrgrs50s

I am wondering the same thing. Mine is at least 12 inches or more. Our bed is not in the slide so I cant figure why it is designed that way. You cant tuck the sheets under the foot of the bed because there's nothing under there. It has the supports for lifting the bed for storage, but you have to lift the mattress up then try to reach for the wood. It makes it difficult to use.

Crumgater

Seems odd. Our Elkridge bed is in the slide, and it has room to pull all the way in and butt up against the dresser... all with full plywood support underneath.

Is there another piece of wood under the mattress that hinges or slides out to provide support?

If not, you could add one.

Kuettels

It is a 2014 Sundance XLT 285TS, and there is no plywood or base support under the last 11 or 12" of the foot of the mattress. Like wrgrs50s says, we can't tuck in the sheets at the end of the bed because there's nothing to tuck them under. Just doesn't seem like this is the way it should be designed.

pegmikef

I am just wondering if it is a mismatch of the bed base with the mattress. I say that because in both my Edge and North Trail the queen size bed was almost a foot shorter than a normal queen sized bed. The mattresses both fit perfectly and I was told at the time that they were custom made to fit the shorter profile. Makes one think that maybe the base was supposed to be longer or the mattress shorter like the one in my former TTs.

Cjackg

Our 2015 Cyclone 3110 is the same way, and the bed is not in a slide.

but, walking around the end of the bed to the RH wall to access the RH side of the bed is so tight that I can only conclude they decided to shorthen the bed platform length to make it easier to squeeze through by pushing the mattress out of the way to get around the end to the corner....

Not nice, but when space is short something has to give to provide all this luxury! and your feet really do'nt need all that support!

evolvingpowercat

RV "standard" mattress is about 6 or 7 inches shorter than an standard residential mattress in length. Perhaps your unit was upgraded with a standard mattress when built or has a standard topper over the RV mattress below. On mine I have a standard memory foam topper over the OEM mattress with the shorter RV mattress shimmed out with a couple of pool tubes on the headboard end. I had to build a support extension to deal with the longer length.
IMG_0241.jpg

BobX2

My 245RL is the same. Don't know why they build them this way, but I'm going to either replace the whole piece of plywood, or add an extension to what is there. Not a real big deal, but it would be nice to be able to tuck the sheets in tight at the foot of the bed.

evolvingpowercat

FYI here is my design drawing for the bed extension with storage I built for my Edge. The storage is custom for 4 stackable plastic storage units sold at Wal-Mart to make use of the space under the extension. The space under the storage shelf is perfect for my sandals and slippers.

Bed extension design.jpg

Garypowell

Evolving,

my platform is almost the size of my king and it is in slide but I love what you built! Looks really nice.