Pismo Beach, CA

Ladiver

Is anyone familiar with Pismo Beach in central California? We will be staying at Jalama Beach (south of Pismo) in August and then up to Paso Robles (north of Pismo) for a few nights. I was thinking of stopping in Pismo for lunch. I know there are places you can camp on the beach, but wanted to know if there was any decent place to stop, drop the ramp and have a nice ocean view for lunch in the trailer?

Jeff

wdk450

Pismo in August:
Think Bakersfield/Fresno August weather and nearby (relatively) cool Pacific shore - The combination makes for vast overcrowding that time of year, especially on the weekends. I haven't pulled a rig onto the sand of the State park, and would be VERY nervous about getting stuck in the sand ( there are towing services). Pismo Coast Village is a very nice park next to the butterfly trees and the beach, but not exactly an ocean view.

I'm sure others will chip in with more info. I love Pismo; my late wife Deb and I were married in an oceanside gazebo (owned by the city of Shell beach) in 2005.

DC10-FE

I took my Cyclone out on the beach a couple years ago. We stayed there for about four days if I remember correctly. You should be able to take the trailer out on the beach for the day and just pull it nose first towards the dunes in a day-use area. I'm not sure what they would charge for that. I was a bit nervous initially when I went out onto the beach, but I had talked to some people about it prior to doing it and the number one piece of advice they gave me was tire pressure. They all said tire pressure was key. I dropped the pressures on all the tires, truck and trailer, down to about 15 psi. Any lower you run the chance of popping the bead. I was able to drive pretty much where ever I wanted like that. I stayed close to the shore most of the time since the sand was not as loose, when I backed it into the loose sand, it floated into the spot without ever spinning the tires. We stayed about 100-200 yards from the ATV rental booth, but there were 5th wheels and buses parked way back in there. Some of those used the tow truck to either pull their rigs back in there and others just drove back in there. I did see a bus get stuck and the tow truck guy charged him a couple of hundred bucks to help him out. It was a good time after the nerves settled.

Herbie

Unless you are willing to get sand all over your rig, plus the possibility of getting stuck, I would not attempt the beach. It can get very windy at Pismo and sand gets everywhere. If I went to Pismo I would stay in a RV park, there are several. Jeff, you could contact the chamber of commerce and get some day use info, or call the state park ranger, they are very helpful 805-473-7220.

Jalama last week.IMG_20140606_084423894_HDR.jpg

Ladiver

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am quite familiar with airing down and getting sand everywhere. Considering I have no source to refilll tires to 110psi, I will avoid the sand. I will give the ranger a call and pick their brains.

Herbie, glad to see another Cyclone at Jalama. What site # is that? Any issues with truck+trailer length on the roads to the park, or inside the park? I assume you took 101 to 1 to Jalama Road. We are coming up from the south.

Thanks,

Jeff

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
There is a state park on the main street a half block above the beach that isn't too bad. Paved and gravel drives, no driving in the sand.

Plus there are a few private parks within a few blocks of there.
Just look up Pismo Coast Village, Pismo Sands ,Pismo Dunes, (or Pismo-insert the word of your choice here.) Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997

Herbie

Site # 13. Sites 11-13 are best for me, easy beach access. Jalama (inside the park) is very tight in spots. Jalama rd. is 14 miles and will take 30 min. just take it slow, a lot of blind curves. Have a great time. OH, also watch out for the overhanging oak trees on Jalama rd. I have never hit one but they look low.

From the south take 101 to 1 , then on the way out since you are going north take Jalama rd to 1 to 246 to 101.