How do you replace the tail light lenses cover?

lakeside

We have a 2014 Bighorn 3685RL and I need to remove the tail light lenses cover to replace a bulb and can see NO visible screws or fasteners holding the lenses on. When I GENTLY try to pry off the chrome outer portion of the lenses, all I hear is a cracking / snapping sound. I do not wish to force something and end up breaking things. Any ideas on how I can gain access to the inside of these tail lights would be helpful?

Lakeside

Tried with no success to post two pictures I have saved in forum attachment site. Will try to attach them later.

yport

Good question Lakeside ... I have your same rig, and although I do not yet need to change bulb I was going to check what the bulb size was to pick up a couple spares. It puzzles me too!

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
We have a 2014 Bighorn 3685RL and I need to remove the tail light lenses cover to replace a bulb and can see NO visible screws or fasteners holding the lenses on. When I GENTLY try to pry off the chrome outer portion of the lenses, all I hear is a cracking / snapping sound. I do not wish to force something and end up breaking things. Any ideas on how I can gain access to the inside of these tail lights would be helpful?

Lakeside

Tried with no success to post two pictures I have saved in forum attachment site. Will try to attach them later.

If you don't get a answer here you can always call Heartland customer service..Be sure to have your Vin# ready when you call.

Last edited by a moderator:

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
On my Landmark, the tail light assembly does not have a bulb that can be changed. The whole assembly needs to be replaced as a unit. They can be purchased at most autoparts stores for about $7 or $8. If you remove the rubber gasket around the assembly, you will be able to pull the unit out and you will see a plug that powers the unit. Easy to replace once you realize that the entire unit (not a bulb) is what you are trying to replace. Ken

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I may be wrong....but I think the tail/stop lamps are LED's. There is not a bulb to replace. Even our 07 BH is a sealed unit. It requires the whole assembly to be relaced. I have no idea how they come out. I would call HL and ask and if your still in warranty, they just might send you a new one.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The newer Landmarks have an oval shaped tail light (LED) with a chrome trim ring. Not sure but it sounds like his Bighorn has the same fixture.

dave10a

It could be the the led tail lite was wired reversed polarity. If you are certain the tail lite worked before then it is either a bad led or wiring. I had a bad clearance led light that was wired backwards from the factory-- so be ware :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It might be that the tail lamp just came unplugged. Happened to me. The connectors aren't real good.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
So the question remains, how do these new lights come apart? I think it may be a good idea to call Heartland.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
So the question remains, how do these new lights come apart? I think it may be a good idea to call Heartland.

The plastic 'chrome' trim ring just snaps on the taillight and will 'pop' off with gentle pressure. I used a flat bladed screwdriver, put it on the edge of the trim and twisted the screwdriver slightly and the trim ring popped off. Then there are two screws on either side of the taillight which you remove to remove the light. The led taillight is a sealed unit and you cannot replace just bulbs. The whole assembly is replaced. The trim ring comes with the light. I got my replacement light from Heartland Parts. Use your Heartland owners club membership for the 10% discount.

lakeside

The plastic 'chrome' trim ring just snaps on the taillight and will 'pop' off with gentle pressure. I used a flat bladed screwdriver, put it on the edge of the trim and twisted the screwdriver slightly and the trim ring popped off. Then there are two screws on either side of the taillight which you remove to remove the light. The led taillight is a sealed unit and you cannot replace just bulbs. The whole assembly is replaced. The trim ring comes with the light. I got my replacement light from Heartland Parts. Use your Heartland owners club membership for the 10% discount.

So many great answers here on this forum. JMZRATZ..thank you. I thought this was the way to remove the chrome trim ring, but did not dare for fear of snapping something off and breaking it. You have given me the confidence that I need to apply a little more pressure to the trim ring. I will not be going to the C/G for a week (where 5er is currently located) and will atempt to remove the tail light at that time. I will post back when I am through.

See my pictures of tail lights on next post.

Anyway, thank you ALL for taking the time to assist me with this issue. Safe travels.

Lakeside

lakeside

OP here. I just returned from the campground where I fixed the tail light issue. The chrome trim rings around the taillight lens popped right off just like a hub cap pops off a wheel after applying a little pressure. It makes a snapping sound and one might think something is breaking, but the trim ring pops off. Loose wire fixed the tail light issue. There was no need to replace the light.

Thank you all, once again, for helping with this issue. The forum members on here are very knowledgable and helpful. Safe travels.

Lakeside

Last edited:
I may be wrong....but I think the tail/stop lamps are LED's. There is not a bulb to replace. Even our 07 BH is a sealed unit. It requires the whole assembly to be relaced. I have no idea how they come out. I would call HL and ask and if your still in warranty, they just might send you a new one.
If they're factory they won't be LED, just sealed lites. They're in a rubber grommet, just pry them out with a screwdriver, & replace whole unit. I changed out all 4 on mine to LED's.