Potty indoors!

Murray

I'm planning to purchase a Cyclone 4200 with the two full baths. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to have their dog learn to go potty indoors. I'm thinking of using the bath in the garage for my medium size lab mix. I want to use a "Porch Potty" in the tub and train her to go on the grass. I can deposit the poop in the toilet and rinse the grass using the shower hose spray. The Porch Potty is designed to use this way and looks as if it would be a sanitary way to go. I could also modify the shower drain to use the black water tank if necessary. I would also put a doggy door on the bathroom door so she can use it when ever. This would allow me to leave her indoors once and a while and also I would not have to take her for a walk in the middle of the night at a poorly lit rest stop when you don't know whose lurking about. According to Porch Potty the grass sheet can last three to four months before changing and rinses clean each time you use the hose. Please let me know the pros and cons or think I am crazy. By the way it's just me and the dog that will be full timing.
Thanks Murray
New to the forum.

danemayer

Hi Murray,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. It'll be interesting to find out whether anyone is already doing what you want to do.

Mrsfish

And I absolutely want to know if it works. Sounds good on the drawing board, but then they are dogs....

and please join the heartlands club and the az chapter. We need more members with vivid imaginations! Plus, we ALL have dogs :)

jimtoo

We do not have dogs, but have had in the past and our son next door has two large dogs that are well trained. I would suggest that you deposit the poop in a plastic bag/container and just rinse the mat/grass in the potty. The reason being is that all dog poop appears so very dry (they don't need paper to wipe with) it may take lots of water to make it turn back into a liquid where it would drain good. The bags could be deposed of like all the other people do with the poop, trash cans or poop cans.

Just thinking outloud. :)

Jim M

MTPockets

We trained our dog to go at a designated spot on our boat. We lived and travelled on a 39 ft trawler and I got tired of taking her to shore those times we were at anchor. She didn't go for two days. I tied her leash to the designated spot and when she did, I lavished praise. Next time was easier; after a few days she got the picture and the rest of the time she used that spot, which I could just pick up, dispose, and rinse away. I guess in the 5vr you would need an absorbent pad.

DocFather

images