Caution opening slides on 3650BH

swiftk77

I remember seeing someone else post the same problem, but I couldn't find the original posting. Over the weekend I opened the slides on our Gateway 3650BH without checking that both doors into the bunkhouse were closed all the way. The door handle to the bathroom got stock behind the slide and did a fair amount of damage to the molding and trim around the bunk. It had enough force to bend and partially pull out all four of the 3 inch screws that went into the frame of the slide. I just finished taking it all apart and need to get some finishing nails in the morning to put it back together. Lesson learned, always look through the kitchen to make sure that the main door to the bunk house is closed and also open the second exterior door to make sure that the 1/2 bath door is also closed before opening the slides.

Hope this saves someone some time and expense in the future!

Ken

stevenssr

Operating the slides is a risky maneuver inside and outside. It's pretty easy for things to move in transit, assume everything is ok, and then find out otherwise when opening the slides. This a good reminder for all of us to check the path of the slides (inside and out) before moving them. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your repairs!

donr827

Before I close the slides I check inside the trailer to be sure everything is it's place, brooms, chairs, etc, and be sure all doors are closed and locked. We learn from mistakes..........Don

Tallyrver

Also on the 3650BH ,make sure the tv in the living area is secure. The slide will hit it.
DW caught it before we had to make a trip to Best Buy.

Wayne

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If it eases the pain any, you are in good company. Many have done that.
I, uhh... heard of a guy that ripped a cabinet door off as well as pulling out the three inch screws you mentioned.
Then this past week at the North American Rally in Urbanna, VA, I...I mean he had a recliner jump out and rip the facia off a slide.

Peace
Dave

dbbls59

I just closed the bedroom slide on my BC3450. The bathroom door was wide open. It is really wide open now because it is laying on the floor. A little carpentry work is in my future.

zia

We have a check list that we go through before we bring the slides in. First I require everyone but me OUT of the rig, and then I start in the bunk room bathroom and make sure everything is shut and out of the way, then close that door, move to the bunk and put away the table and check all the drawers and cabinets and nets and TV, then the same in the kitchen area, then upstairs. Then I have my husband come check it out and then we close it up. My parents actually took out their kitchen cabinet doors once with the slides so now we are super careful. It takes about five minutes to do the entire rig, but so far (knock on wood) we haven't had any problems.