Trailer hitch on the back of a RW 305 ?

DiverB

Is anyone towing a boat or trailer behind a RW 305 ? I want to know if anyone who has a 305, can you have a hitch installed on the back of it? Dealer said yes it can be done, however it of course will void the warranty since its modifying the frame. I've seen other fifth wheels double towing, but most of them are not toy haulers.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
DiverB, yes it will void the frame warranty but you might call either HL or Lippert and ask. Can it be done.....yes. What are your state laws on double towing? How long will the combination be (wheel base)? Will the 2nd trailer have brakes? Do you need a CDL license to do it? Is it even legal to do it using a pickup truck? Is your truck legal to pull that much weight? I would ask all the questions and get all the answers before you do anything.

DiverB

All good advice. Michigan I can double tow up to 65'. I do have a CDL with both doubles & Triples endorsement + 500,000 miles of OTR experience pulling doubles. Not a problem for my truck either. Good idea on calling Lippert to find out what they say

Bellan

Hi Diver B, I have a 2010 RW305, I modified a GM 18,000 lb hitch & bolted it onto the rear stabilizer steel tubing supports after strengthening them by adding more weld on both sides. I'll put pics on my profile. In ontario Canada you can double tow up to 72.6 feet, first trailer has to be a 5th wheel double axle with brakes, second trailer lighter with tail lights. Truck needs to handle weight, police can stop you if they see any unsafe acts. Ie- trailer sway.