new to this site

jerr7

Hello im jerry from Long Island NY, I just joined this site i dont have a Hearthland TT yet as im still looking . I am interested in The North Trail eighter the 21 or 26 fter I like to know from other owners if any that have the TTs what they think of them as far as quality and overall how they like there interiors and how they tow , they do seem to be heaver then others. My nearest dealer is almost 100 miles away, we have alot of other big name trailers located close by.Im a senior have camped with family for 30 years on and off now kids grown we want something that we can take to warmer climates and be comfortable,we had a Sunline 23ft that was great sold in 2003,As i said we dont know much about the hearthland TT we have seen some here and they sell only the 5th wheelers so your insite about the North trail Lite trailers would be welcome
jerry

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Welcome to the forum Jerry. I don't own a Heartland TT but I have seen and toured a couple at our local dealer in WI. Having owned several TT's in the past, I can tell you that for a lightweight trailer, Heartland gives you a very nice trailer for the money when compared to others in the class. There are quite a few owners of the Northtrail here and I'm sure you'll here from them soon. Have fun shopping!

medic9016

We have a North Trail 280BH that is 30Ft. I tow with a Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4. The wide track tire setup makes for a very stable towing trailer. We tow up and down I-95 with no problems at all. We narrowed our choice down to 3, Gulfstream Side Trak, Keystone Outback Kangaroo, and the North Trail. All three are side loaded Toy haulers. There are things that I liked about all three. The deal maker for us was customer service, overall quality and attention to detail. We acutally liked the Outback floor plan better, but did not like there rear bed slide quality and having to put stablizer polls under the slide during set-up. We have had a few problems but all fixed by myself or our dealer. After emails with the North Trail factory rep we found out one of our problems was changed mid year in the production. At a RV show I was told by a rep from another brand how bad Heartland is, He never once told me how good his brand was. At the same show I met two Heartland reps that spent there time telling me what they did different, that other manufactures did not do. I then told them I was a Heartland owner and they asked for feed back from myslef, wife and 13yo daughter. That is why I own a North Trail. The last was the Half Time oven, My wife will not own another unit with out it and she has the checkbook. The intierior cabniets are the same glass front as the Big Horn, we are happy with the interior colors we have.

jerr7

thanks guys

Thanks guys i appreciate that input as i been a camper for 30years myslef i find alot people differ on all campers, everyone thinks theirs is better lol. Quality is inportant to me in yours medic do you have the quality cabinets i know some other companys have 2 choices ,i liked what i seen in the brochure about their comparisons does the wife find them good quality.it comes down to customer dealership even if they sell other brands , i hope to hear from others and their feelings on the north trail thanks again
jerry:)

medic9016

Look here at the pictures of these two units, you can see the cabniets. They are the same quality that is in the Big Horn fifth wheel.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We picked up our North Trail 28BHS in the Fall of 2007. This is our 5th T.T. and by far the nicest. The Quality is that of a higher priced unit. The fit and finish is top notch. The unit comes with a long list of great standard features. It was a perfect fit for our family. The North Trail was very stable on the road and seemed to travel and track very well. Very low wind resistance.

We only used the unit for one weekend and then we had to put it away for the winter:(. Spring cannot come soon enough.

Jamie, Ginger and Madison
2008 North Trail 28BHS
2004 Ford F250 SuperDuty

jerr7

great pix

Medic thanks for that link to pix, i really like what i have seen and read about the quality and especially the stability of the trailer when towing. I like to give my opinion of what i learned of the years, Most all manufactures make close to same type veh weather there TT or 5th wheelers, it comes down to the materials that they use inside and wood some use staples or nails ,some of the cheaper materials to in upholstery and no draw slides and etc, from what i do see North trail is using some excellent materials, all manuf/ use same heaters ,refig, bathroom fixtures water heaters so it really to me comes down to the trailer itself and how its built . example wood framing vs metal ,wheels and stability i really like that insulation under and roof top.I like that little extra in the bathroom shower w/shelfs and the extra storage. I f you look at all the trailers made they all have almost same Its the little extras that quality that really sets them apart All have some problems that may need to be fixed and my thoughts are that some of the same things break down . If i am paying same price for one brand and i can get better cabinets,and materials and some nicer fixtures i might as well get the one thats suits me and feel i get a better deal:0 im sure ill get feed back on why other brands people have are better lol
so again i thank you medic and anyone that have the heartland north trail i lie to hear from you i think the 21 FBS might be my choice it fits us right
jerry

Ret NYPD Emergency Service Unit God Bless my friends i lost in 911 and God Bless all our Men/Woman in The Services

Hunter

Newby
We purchased the 21fbs at the end of October 2008, after a lot of searching. The last trailer we had was a Kodiak 195 - hybrid - which had a lot of nice features - large holding tanks, lot of counterspace, etc. The problem was the hybrid part ... ripping the beds apart when we left a campsite, crawling over each other to get into bed. The construction of the Kodiak 195 (2005 unit) was wonderful, so, I didn't want anything less. I did a lot of searching and finally narrowed down to the 21fbs, due to (a) overall size - just a little over 26 feet (my driveway wouldn't take anything larger); (b) size of holding tanks (lot of the trailers this size had very little space in the holding tank); (c) Quality of drawers etc (some only had plastic bins); (d) slide (a lot of trailers in this size category do not have a slide; (e) U shaped dinette (lots of room to entertain.

Down side, which my husband will be doing some modification:
(1) the table has to be put down to travel - my husband already has a fix for that - once finished, I will put it up as a mod;
(2) lack of counter top - again .. this will be a mod;
(3) bed not quite long enough ... we are enlarging the piece of wood under the mattress at the bottom of the bed, adding 6 inches of foam to the top of the mattress and putting memory foam over everthing - to make it a true Queen size bed.

All in all I am elated over this unit. Can't wait to go camping next May.

Jeannine 17Nov08