Trailer and bed clearance

Kblock108

Last week I visited camp james at the kern river. After parking, I noticed my tailgate had a nice love tap from the trailer. No real visible damage to the trailer, except the rubber bottom molding was kissed a bit. The driveway there was steep and I guessed right that it was the problem. Went to leave and even though I took what looked like the best route, I still bottomed out. This time I watched it and was able to back up and avoid damage. My clearance right now is 6 inches, should I be higher or? I don't want this to happen again

Anyone know how insurance works withy the trailer attached, I need a new tailgate and the trailer molding needs to be re-done and re caulked. I figured the 500 deductible would be worth it, but I don't want to be stuck with 2 deductibles. Both are insured by the same company

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aatauses

On normal highways, 6 in would be the minimum, most recommendations are between 6-8 in---to be safe I usually have ours about 7.5 in, this is just in case there are some unexpected steep hills at various parks. If you do raise yours be sure you remain near level while hooked up.
As far as insurance--I guess I would call as I have not had to use ours yet.
al
currently in Deadwood, SD

danemayer

I wouldn't be surprised if you have separate deductibles since the coverage on each vehicle is probably listed separately on your declarations.

One thing to consider: if you file a claim for collision damage, you may cause a steep increase in the cost of all your vehicle insurance coverage. I banged up the bumper on the truck a couple of years ago which triggered a near doubling of our insurance cost. The price went up on all 3 vehicles; not just the one that had the claim. The bumper repair had a payout of $1500 after deductible, and the increased price was an additional $1800 for year, for at least 3 years. I managed to talk them into re-rating me using a different methodology and they went back to the old pricing.

Buying a new tailgate may be way less than the increased cost of insurance.

123camper

I backed our truck with the tailgate down into the end of my garage. I thought no big deal the truck is insured and only have a 250 deductible. Wrong, insurance agent informed me I can not file a claim against myself. 1200 damage to tailgate minus 250 deductible and then 1000 deductible on house. Still working on the garage.

Kblock108

Thanks for the info...dumb question, should the truck be level as if no load or the trailer itself level? I have airbags

caissiel

I setup at 5 inches clearance and make sure the truck drops at the rear and in 22 years I never rubbed the trailer.
To high might raise the trailer for limited clearances at the roof.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

Last week I visited camp james at the kern river. After parking, I noticed my tailgate had a nice love tap from the trailer. No real visible damage to the trailer, except the rubber bottom molding was kissed a bit. The driveway there was steep and I guessed right that it was the problem. Went to leave and even though I took what looked like the best route, I still bottomed out. This time I watched it and was able to back up and avoid damage. My clearance right now is 6 inches, should I be higher or? I don't want this to happen again

Anyone know how insurance works withy the trailer attached, I need a new tailgate and the trailer molding needs to be re-done and re caulked. I figured the 500 deductible would be worth it, but I don't want to be stuck with 2 deductibles. Both are insured by the same company

<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>It falls under the collision coverage of your truck, the only way you will know is to research the topic as you are doing by asking this question. If you cannot find information on damage that is the same as or similar then you will have to file a claim. I had to drag information out of my insurer concerning damage from a TowMax blowout. It seems that a blown tire that damages your rig is covered to the extent it damaged your rig. The tire is not covered. The damage must have been unavoidable. So I say yes, you had an accident that resulted in damage to your rig, it was un-avoidable in nature in that you did not cause the accident by failing to act. But you might be able to locate a tailgate and have it painted for less than your deductible.

donr827

I backed our truck with the tailgate down into the end of my garage. I thought no big deal the truck is insured and only have a 250 deductible. Wrong, insurance agent informed me I can not file a claim against myself. 1200 damage to tailgate minus 250 deductible and then 1000 deductible on house. Still working on the garage.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is not correct in my opinion. The only time that this would apply is if you did it on purpose. Don

danemayer

Thanks for the info...dumb question, should the truck be level as if no load or the trailer itself level? I have airbags
They both should be pretty close to level. If the trailer is not close to level, you'll have uneven loading on the axles/wheels/tires which could cause you serious problems down the road.

123camper

I wasn't happy with the insurance company's view either. It was an accident, the first in 30 years with State Farm. Since it was the first, neither house or truck rates went up. But did get a warning next time they would. Any way, I agree, not correct in my opinion either.

Mizmary

My sister worked for State Farm. Try again. You got someone on a bad day. Her favorite saying was "we even cover stupid" for when someone would put diesel in their convertible, blow up the engine and would want insurance to pay. If they pay for that they should pay for your much cheaper oopsie.

Kblock108

I called my ins company (Wawanesa) and they said I would have to pay each deductable...so 500 each! Does not make since to me if it's one incident...