Problem with BBQ and gas line

zia

We just picked up our new 2015 Gateway a couple of weeks ago and have already taken in out a few times. Overall I love it and it is perfect for our family. We are planning a month-long road trip leaving in just a couple of weeks and we are all excited about that.

Here is the one big issues with it. I don't know if this is a 2015 issue or if is the case on all Gateways, but the BBQ holder on the rear bumper and the gas line just don't work. The only way the setup would work is if the slide is in (as the gas line is so short that it can't reach the BBQ otherwise) and if the BBQ grill is right up against the fiberglass (melting it??) So, are we missing something obvious or is this just a ridiculous design flaw? I have had 3 different experienced RVers come look at it and they all threw their hands in the air after 20 minutes, so I just don't understand how it is supposed to work. Help!

swiftk77

You don't mention which model Gateway you have, but I'm assuming the 3650 BH. The bumper mount grill is worthless since it doesnt reach around to the outdoor kitchen. I use my older grill and have a 15 foot hose to put it on a picnic table.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turtlpwr

+1 for Swift. I've had my 3650BH for 6 months and I realized real quick I wasn't going to be utilizing the rear BBQ area. The location is just not very practical. I will actually be taking mine off before the next trip.

zia

You don't mention which model Gateway you have, but I'm assuming the 3650 BH. The bumper mount grill is worthless since it doesnt reach around to the outdoor kitchen. I use my older grill and have a 15 foot hose to put it on a picnic table.

Yes, we do have the 3650BH. I am glad I am not crazy! I did notice that all of the outdoor kitchen pictures with people using the grill have been removed from the Heartland website. We actually ordered our 3650BH without the outdoor kitchen (empty bay instead) but did want to use the BBQ, but since there was such a huge design flaw we have already just put our old grill back in the trailer and the new one is sitting in a box in our garage. It is really too bad because that could have been a really nice feature if it was designed properly.

GWRam

I added another hose (doubled the lenght) and the grill should work fine now.;)

Justafordguy,
by adding a longer hose what where you able to get to work? Were you able to get the factory grill to work? In a convenient location?
Since ours just swung into the kitchen slide out I didn't let them install the grill, its still in its box in the basement.
Dave

justafordguy

It's still not a perfect location but with the longer hose I can swing the grill around into a usable position without being to close to the slide. I'll take some pictures this weekend if I get a chance.

Bones

At least I feel a little better knowing I am not the only one trying to figure this out. I just received my camper back and un-boxed the grill and was looking at it this weekend. Figured out that it seems to be backwards. I did not get a hose so I am looking for that now. I'll have to figure something out to get this thing working. When I do I'll post my solution. :cool:

camp grill 1.jpgcamp grill 2.jpgcamp grill 3.jpgcamp grill 4.jpg

GWRam

Bones,
Look forward to seeing what you come up with as a solution. Please post photos of the fix.

I had not really looked close at the installed hardware till seeing your photos. When I realized
it was going to swing into the side of the outdoor kitchen I just wrote it completely off as another
half thought through rv industry hack.

Looking at your photos it seems if you could take the arm that pivots at the bumper attach point
and make it half again to twice as long as it currently is in length. You would get the distance you
need to get the grill face close to the position of the outdoor kitchen face.

Then with the grill mount plate. It attaches to the new lengthened arm. It currently looks like it
opens 180 degrees from the stowed position. If it could open an additional 90 degrees from stowed
position and be locked in that position while in use, then the face of the grill would face out from
the door side of the camper like the kitchen does and just be to the side of it and usable.

Our spare is factory mounted on the rear bumper and had already been moved as far as it could
to clear the grill brackets that it cover the power plug fitting to the point we couldn't connect the
power cord on winter days cause the cord was too stiff to bend behind the spare. A problem you
don't seem to have. We removed the grill bracket and moved the tire to center of the bumper and
now we can get to the plug. Stiff cord or not.
Where did Heartland mount your spare? Could you upload a photo or two of that?

Dave

justafordguy

Dave

Mine is mounted under the front storage compartment (you can see it in the picture under my signature), I hate it there. It will be almost impossible to remove while on the side of the road with the truck hitched up, even with a slider hitch slid all the way back.

Kosanko

Ok, to answer a few of the questions here.... I have had experience with all of your problems.....

Initially I had reservations about the gas hose length, I had my dealer provide me with a 6' hose, and it WORKS in an optimal length from burning the side of the rig.

I keep the swingarm on the back of the RV off to a 45 degree angle from the back bumper, I use the close lock pins to hold my swingers from allowing the swingers from blowing the grill into my slide out

my spare tire is located under the front compartment and have changed my spare tire on the side of the road and with my long bed and fixed hitch I had no issues lowering my spare or loading my flat back up under neath

I use my grill every time we go camping and LOVE the BBQ location now that I have figured out how to set up the grill....

Bones

Bones,
Look forward to seeing what you come up with as a solution. Please post photos of the fix.

I had not really looked close at the installed hardware till seeing your photos. When I realized
it was going to swing into the side of the outdoor kitchen I just wrote it completely off as another
half thought through rv industry hack.

Looking at your photos it seems if you could take the arm that pivots at the bumper attach point
and make it half again to twice as long as it currently is in length. You would get the distance you
need to get the grill face close to the position of the outdoor kitchen face.

Then with the grill mount plate. It attaches to the new lengthened arm. It currently looks like it
opens 180 degrees from the stowed position. If it could open an additional 90 degrees from stowed
position and be locked in that position while in use, then the face of the grill would face out from
the door side of the camper like the kitchen does and just be to the side of it and usable.

Our spare is factory mounted on the rear bumper and had already been moved as far as it could
to clear the grill brackets that it cover the power plug fitting to the point we couldn't connect the
power cord on winter days cause the cord was too stiff to bend behind the spare. A problem you
don't seem to have. We removed the grill bracket and moved the tire to center of the bumper and
now we can get to the plug. Stiff cord or not.

Dave

My spare is mounted just like Justafordguy. I have not need to take it off yet but I have been back there while the truck if hooked up and I don't foresee any issues.

Bones

Ok, to answer a few of the questions here.... I have had experience with all of your problems.....

Initially I had reservations about the gas hose length, I had my dealer provide me with a 6' hose, and it WORKS in an optimal length from burning the side of the rig.

I keep the swingarm on the back of the RV off to a 45 degree angle from the back bumper, I use the close lock pins to hold my swingers from allowing the swingers from blowing the grill into my slide out

my spare tire is located under the front compartment and have changed my spare tire on the side of the road and with my long bed and fixed hitch I had no issues lowering my spare or loading my flat back up under neath

I use my grill every time we go camping and LOVE the BBQ location now that I have figured out how to set up the grill....

I looked at that too. I'm thinking of extending the arm past my BH slide so I can keep easy access to items in the camp kitchen.

Kosanko

I'm going camping this weekend and if you all would like I will take pictures of my grill set-up in my camping site for BBQing

Bones

I finished my mods to the grill assembly Here are the pictures. I also ran a new hose to the grill. I had to modify the connections a bit. I may support this later on when I use it.

0407151714.jpgIMG_20150407_173949.jpgIMG_20150407_174015.jpgIMG_20150411_172203.jpgIMG_20150411_172738.jpgIMG_20150411_172755.jpg

avvidclif

I have seen several of the bumper mount grill setups at RV shows. The one in the pictures has a single arm. The ones I've seen at the shows were double jointed which extended it twice as far. Maybe they left off the second arm?