Mice

BigBlue

BigBlue
Well, we've got mice. We're in Two Rivers Park near Royalton, MN. The park is in the middle of farm country so it's not surprising mice are around.
I've gone through several of the common remidies you find when you search for them on the forums.

Tried Bounce sheets: didn't work, in fact found the mice used them for toilet paper.

Sticky traps: didn't work. Had three of them that indicated mice had been on them because fur was left on the sheet but they all excaped.

Peppermint oil soaked in cotton balls: didn't work although my wife thinks we should saturate the balls more.

Hedge balls: didn't work. This is a fruit that looks like a green wrinkly or bumpy ball. They're imported from Mexico. The grocery store even had a sign next to them saying "Natures natural pest repellent".

Finally went to the spring traps baited with peanut butter. First night didn't catch a single mouse but the peanut butter is all gone. Reset traps and adjusted the catch to be right on the edge. Caught one mouse last night. Other traps lost their peanut butter.

These mice are tough.

Cheryl

You have my deepest sympathies, I HATE mice! Keep trying with those spring traps. Although I'm not usually a violent type of person, when it comes to mice, spring traps are the only way to go! We have a large field behind our house and in the winter, we would occasionally get a mouse or two. I tried using the "humane" clear boxes that let you release them unharmed. They always came back. Now, if we get one, it's straight to the spring trap!

jbeletti

UltraSonic Rodent Repellers

Hi all,

Related to this, does anyone have any experience with the ultrasonic noise generators that are supposed to repel such pests? I am considering keeping one on in the trailer over the winter months but I'm wondering if they even work.

Jim

BobD

I have seen noise generators used before with new signs of mice activity, however, the age of the generator was unknown and was it really working? I do know thou that if you can find where mice are entering and it is out of sight, try stuffing or tyrap steel wool around the hole. Mice do not like chewing thru that!

BobD
3600RL

BigBlue

BigBlue
I purchased the generator new so I'm assuming it works.
I've been plugging holes with expanding foam that's used in houses.

BigBlue

BigBlue
I believe we have success. After catching three of the little buggers we haven't seen any evidence of their presence and the cheese is remaining on the spring traps.
I think it was the combination of the spring traps and the peppermint oil. My wife thought we should really saturate the cotton balls with the pepperming oil and I placed them below the cabinets where it's close to where they came in.

jbeletti

BigBlue,

Congrats on your success - hope it holds. When we were in the Utica, IL area this weekend, couldn't resist stopping by the JC Whitney outlet store. I took the $15 risk and picked up one of the ultrasonic noise generators to keep on in the trailer over the winter.

Also picked up a 50 amp female to 30 amp male electrical adapter (short cable with 2 connectors) for $20. Now, if needed, I can use the 50 amp cable, the adapter, then my two 30 amp cables - if needed. Needed it once in Iowa this year (but didn't have it).

Hey, great to see you this weekend in Marengo too. Saw you still parked there when we got back on Saturday.

Hickory Hollow worked out well in Utica too. The owner (one of them - the town's Mayor I understand) remembered you.

Jim

BigBlue

BigBlue
Aw yes JC Whitney. I had to watch myself when there. It's so tempting to wander thru the store and fullfil every wish.

Isn't that campground nice. We really enjoyed ourselves there.

We're going to be here in Marengo until Sept 6th. That'll get us through the holidays and we won't have to worry about getting a site the holiday weekend.
Jim