Mattresses

slparks

We just bought our Big Horn 5th wheel camper on May 4, 2014 and it came with a mattress that has the memory foam. We do not like it! Is there any kind of exchange that we can get for it from Heartland?

Lisa Parks

jimtoo

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If your's came with a memory foam it is probably better than what they were putting in the units, but some folks don't like the foam. I would suggest you call your dealer and try to work something out. If nothing happens there call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, have your VIN and see if they will do anything. Most likely not, but you never know.

Enjoy the forum. Also join us at a rally when you can and also join the Heartland Owners Club.

Jim M

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We went to a local mattress manufacturer and special ordered a mattress to our liking. It wasn't cheap going that route.

JanAndBill

We hated the foam mattress that came in our Big Horn. We checked with several sources on a replacement, and were ready to spend the money, until by chance I checked with a local retail mattress outlet. Just so happened that he had bought a truckload of mattresses which included a Sealy innerspring RV king. He discovered this odd mattress when he tried to set it up in the showroom. We ended up buying a brand new, still in plastic mattress for $150. We advertised our old mattress on Craig's List and within a week it sold,making our total out of pocket cost very little.

scottyb

Is it the firmness? Our Cyclone came with a memory foam and it was so hard that neither of us could get any sleep. We were on the verge of getting a new mattress and decided to try a 3" latex topper. Combined with the firmness of the original mattress, the topper transformed it into an amazing mattress. We have determined that it sleeps better than our expensive Intellibed gel mattress in the house. Best $300 we could have spent.

Mizmary

We got a crappy spring mattress and it needs to be replaced. Even a $300 mattress topper couldn't make it much better. Waiting for the cash to get a foam one to go under our nice topper.

SeattleLion

We have a new Bighorn. We like the mattress that came with the trailer. It has a great mattress topper. We sleep very well on it.

slparks

Is it the firmness? Our Cyclone came with a memory foam and it was so hard that neither of us could get any sleep. We were on the verge of getting a new mattress and decided to try a 3" latex topper. Combined with the firmness of the original mattress, the topper transformed it into an amazing mattress. We have determined that it sleeps better than our expensive Intellibed gel mattress in the house. Best $300 we could have spent.

Where did you buy the 3" latex topper?

slparks

The mattress is an odd size (of course) 70x80 and I think we are going to have to go to the extra expense to order a mattress. As soon as we get into bed it sinks in the middle and we have to pull ourselves out. If you can get to lay on the edge of the bed its fine, but that middle sucks you in and won't let go. I always thought I wanted a memory foam mattress, but this changes my mind.

Vtxkid

You can order different mattress memory foam toppers from Wal-Mart online. We ordered a 4" from them for our travel trailer in the past. Full Queen.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We found a 3" gel foam topper at COSTCO. It was a standard king and too wide, so I cut it down with an electric knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We loved the mattress in our previous Bighorn but this one was rotten! We bought a very expensive topper and it actually made things worse.

Lippert was at the rally in Urbanna and gave us the opportunity to try out their Denver Mattress. Costly, but we haven't looked back. Spent 14 nights in the rig and slept like a baby every night! Best part was the free removal of the old mattress and installation of the new one at the rally.

mayflower

slparks.....we totally agree with you regarding the mattress in our Bighorn too. It's like quick-sand. Shopping for a new one right now!