Freeze-Up

Draco Dog

We own a Big Horn 3670.

The kitchen water is freezing up between 18 and 20 degrees.

The bathroom/shower/sink/toilet does not freeze.

The furnace is set at 60 degrees.

We have had Wilderness, Prowler, and Outback trailers and have never had any trouble with lines freezing up. And the temperatures were ranging from 0 to 15 degrees. We were dry-camping in Eastern Oregon.

We paid much less for these trailers than for the Big Horn.

Has anyone else had this problem?

jbeletti

Not sure about your past trailers but in my last TT, my water tank, the water pump and all the lines were contained above the floor, within the trailer.

With the complexities of some of the Heartland units with water access in many locations (2 sinks, shower, toilet, outside showers etc., there are water lines all over. Mostly "under" the floor area. And the tanks, due to their sizes are under the floor as well.

With enough precautions taken, you can make it work. Personally however, for my fourth season of the year (winter), I would not want to live or even camp in it in sub-freezing weather for an "extended" period.

Jim

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Check the low point water drains. This is where the water "t's" to the kitchen, and it is very close to the outside. Others have discovered that if you insulate this area to protect it, it won't freeze. As for today, apply heat from a hair dryer, etc. to unfreeze this area.

linuxkidd

You may also want to check this article from our test resource..

Details some common fresh water freeze spots and prevention.
LK

Last edited:

Cooper

I put a light in the basement plumbing area. The heat from the light helps keep the plumbing from freezing. I keep it there all winter weither I am using the trailer or not.

AVid

Another trick that sometimes works...leave the lower cabinet doors open. It allows heat in to keep the pipes warmer.

AVid

sjrellis

The problem dh found was that the water line runs down the frame. When it is below freezing the low point drain there has a tendency to freeze. He wrapped it with heat tape and insulation. Being paranoid now, though, since it has frozen several times, I let the cold water drip when temps are 10 degrees and lower (and believe me...we've had them in Wisconsin the past few weeks!). Seems to me that they could move that water line to keep it from sitting on cold (freezing) metal.

Draco Dog

We contacted Mike Moreland, a representative of Heartland. He said there are about 50 Big Horn trailers made with the pipes running down the frame instead of running under the floor. Curtis Trailers in Portland, OR have the OK to fix this problem.

They have to take the pipe off the frame and run it under the floor to the kitchen sink.

Thanks to you all for your help in this matter.

Draco Dog

Yes. We called Mike Moreland @ 916-626-9356. This work will be considered warranty work. I would call Mr. Moreland before making an appointment to have the work done. (just to get the ok and any further information that you might need). Mr. Moreland was very cooperative to work with.