Can-Am RT in the 4200?

denviola

We haul our 2012 Can-Am RT in our current TH, and wanted to know if anyone has tried it or is actually doing it in the Cyclone 4200? Thought that maybe it could be done if the RT was loaded backwards, although it appears the rear bath makes it not possible - side bags on the RT, etc. Thanks!

remoandiris

Is your concern the length or width (or both) of the bike? If you put it in backward and centered, I would think the bag would clear the bathroom. Aren't the bags easily removable.

I'd be more concerned about putting the bike in backward. Driving it up the ramp in reverse and whatnot. The ramp will likely be steeper than most driveways and the texture is not that great for traction. I get a bit of momentum going to put my GoldWing into the garage. When the ramp is wet it is more difficult.

But since you already carry it in a TH, you must have a system down to get the thing in and out of the garage.

denviola

My current TH has a 12' garage and the rear patio option, which takes up some space. The 4200 not only has the rear patio option but the 3 season doors, which shortens the garage some more. I tried my bike in a 10' garage with patio, and it was just too tight. I normally put the RT in front first, and it has the two front wheels with one drive wheel in back. The rear compartments do not detach. Was thinking out loud when I mentioned putting the bike in rear first. Saw in another thread that the rear bath and outside sink take up considerable space, and there are no 4200s nearby to try right now.

DDryer

Hello Denviola,
I was told when we ordered our 4200 that the garage is 5.5' wide on the 12' side and the side with the bathroom is 3' wide by 10' long. We are picking up our TH on Friday and although I do not know anyone local with a CanAm, I would be happy to take exact measurements and pictures for you, if you would like. Just let me know.

remoandiris

The "12' garage" in my 4000 with the rear patio and 3 season doors is about 11' 3". I think any rear bath TH you look for will be a tight fit for the Spyder.

What is it about the 4200 that makes it the TH you want? If it is the 2nd patio, take a look at Keystone's 384PK. No, the side patio is NOT in the kitchen, it is in the garage. But is makes for more outdoor space.

scottyb

My current TH has a 12' garage and the rear patio option, which takes up some space. The 4200 not only has the rear patio option but the 3 season doors, which shortens the garage some more. I tried my bike in a 10' garage with patio, and it was just too tight. I normally put the RT in front first, and it has the two front wheels with one drive wheel in back. The rear compartments do not detach. Was thinking out loud when I mentioned putting the bike in rear first. Saw in another thread that the rear bath and outside sink take up considerable space, and there are no 4200s nearby to try right now.

I'm not sure what you consider is too tight. The RT only shows to be 105". My 4100 garage with 3 season doors and patio rails is 11' 0" clear. My Mule is 10' 10" and I just surpassed the 13K mi mark with it last weekend. You just have to use opposing tie-downs so it can't move back and forth. It bounces up and down but not fore and aft. I have to remove the knobs from the Weber E-330 grill so the Mule doesn't bump it and tweak the valves as it bounces down the road. I was thinking if I removed one of the service trays on one end of the Weber, there might be enough room to fit a Honda CRF 250 between the grill and the 1/2 bath, and beside the Mule.

Cjackg

Got any pics showing the "opposing tiedown" approach?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

scottyb

Got any pics showing the "opposing tiedown" approach?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

it would be near impossible to take a photo because the space is so occupied by the Mule. Briefly, I use the extreme forward and rear tie-downs so they are pulling for and aft and not so much down. I also use 1-1/2" ratchet straps so that I can really torque them down to where there is little to no stretch left in the straps.

DocFather

Google "Condor Chocks Spyder" - there are several articles. One said Condor was desinging a chock for the Spyder but I did not go reading. Here is one design

condor3.jpg

denviola

I hope you are enjoying your new hauler, these look great. If you would be so kind, measurements would be greatly appreciated. I contacted a couple of dealers and got "it'll fit" and "about 10' on n the right side" responses but no actual measurements since I'm too far away to come in for a sales pitch. There is now one at a dealer about 120 miles away and sounds like a weekend road trip. BTW, what truck are you using to tow your 4200?
Thanks and Regards

taken

We can fit our RT-S SE5 in our 10 foot garage with tons of room to spare. Enough that I can squeeze in my Road King next to it and back a bit. That said, with the rear bath costing you some width up front, you should have no problem fitting if you backed it in.

denviola

Drove a couple + hours to a dealer that had a 4200, 4100 and Road Warrior 425, all 2015 models. Another forum member and one dealer told me the rear bath extends 24" into the garage. I measured 32",so it will be close. Noticed that if the 3 season door is slid open, I gain 6" in the center fore to aft. Thinking I could drill a couple of holes and use locking pins like on the rear bunks to hold the doors in the open position. Now how to keep then from pivoting. Still going to try the bike inside before closing the sale. If I load the RT the whole way against the driver side it fits, but I like loads centered in back.
The RW is nice too, now has the big bedroom window and hidden BR TV like the 4200.

DocFather

Drove a couple + hours to a dealer that had a 4200, 4100 and Road Warrior 425, all 2015 models. Another forum member and one dealer told me the rear bath extends 24" into the garage. I measured 32",so it will be close. Noticed that if the 3 season door is slid open, I gain 6" in the center fore to aft. Thinking I could drill a couple of holes and use locking pins like on the rear bunks to hold the doors in the open position. Now how to keep then from pivoting. Still going to try the bike inside before closing the sale. If I load the RT the whole way against the driver side it fits, but I like loads centered in back.
The RW is nice too, now has the big bedroom window and hidden BR TV like the 4200.

I travel with an HD Ultra Classic CVO (950 lbs.) on the off-door side with nothing of substance on the door side. No problem at all doing it that way. fyi

porthole

Retired
That Superclamp looks like it solves the issue.
The Condor's require a bit of effort rolling the bike out of the chock, as you have to roll the front tire up over the catch.

I'm guessing some folks are going the Cam Am route because you do not need the physical strength to enjoy it that a 900 pound HD or Honda dresser requires.
If I had a Cam Am, looks like the Superclamp has the right idea.

Do Can AM's have reverse?

I contacted a couple of dealers and got "it'll fit" and "about 10' on n the right side" responses but no actual measurements since I'm too far away to come in for a sales pitch.

When I ordered my motorcycle trailer the salesman told me it would fit. A great man once said "trust, but verify"

So I did. My buddy and I took our two EG's to the dealer and I ordered the next size up.

porthole

Retired
get a bit of momentum going to put my GoldWing into the garage. When the ramp is wet it is more difficult.

I would never attempt to put my bike in the garage if the ramp is wet - under it's own power.

I added a small remote control winch in the front left corner and use a pulley to change direction.

And, as it may be, I got to test it out when I burned out the controller in the golf cart trying to load it in a light rain.
No way to push an 800 pound gorilla up the ramp and in the garage.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=134986&viewfull=1#post134986

Since the pictures were added in that post I put down aluminum aircraft track throughout the trailer. I can now easily use the snatch block in front of either bike location

taken

Yes, the CanAm does have reverse. As for choice we have both. The wife likes the CanAm better both as rider and passenger. I like the bike better. But since there are two of us, it's fun to have one of each. Keeps it interesting. To the OP, no thoughts on backing it in?