Water pump issues

TXTiger

I have a 2 year old Cyclone. I mostly am on full hookup but the few times I was not the pump always worked fine. Couldn't get the water pump to work last time without hook up so I called a Mobil repair place to check it out. He installed a new Surflow pump and all was well. A week later however no water again. Was still at the same site so I call the repair guy to come back. He checked and said that the pump was not self priming. Took the intake hose off and sucked on it to prim the pump. Worked fine again for another week. Moved to a new site in a different state and no no water again. Can hear the pump running but no water. Not sure if new pump is bad and not priming or if hose may be kinked after replacement of pump? New pump for sure is still under warranty but don't want to pay labor to new Mobil repair man. Any suggestions from the Forum Family?

MTPockets

I think all RV pumps are self priming. Also, when on city water my Anderson valve is one position, then I switch to normal position when using pump. That's how mine works. Also, make sure fresh water tank has water; my fill position is a third setting on my valve.

danemayer

I'm wondering if you have an air leak on the supply side of the pump. I'd take down the basement wall to gain access to the pump (if that's where it's located, and with pump running, listen for the sound of air whistling. If you have a 4-way valve, that's also a possible location for an air leak.

Btw, you don't really need a tech to change out the water pump, if it's defective. With a new pump in hand, changing the connections over and attaching the 12V wiring is pretty straightforward.

scottyb

Should prime itself. Was the old pump doing the same thing? Almost sounds like there is an air break.

TXTiger

Old pump was working fine before failure. Fresh tank is half full. I think maybe the mobil guy put a ink in the one when he replaced the pump? I am handicapped and have difficulty climbing into the basement.

fox18up

I started having problems with my pump this morning. It won't turn on or do anything when I open a faucet, toilet or shower. But if I crack open one of the drain valves the pump kicks right on. Any ideas?

jimtoo

I started having problems with my pump this morning. It won't turn on or do anything when I open a faucet, toilet or shower. But if I crack open one of the drain valves the pump kicks right on. Any ideas?

Hi fox18up,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Could you please give us a little more information about your unit, year, kind (Bighorn, Gateway, Landmark, Big Country, North Trail,?) and model. Also you say "drain valves", could you be more specific as to the location and what valves they are, drain valve for what?

I'm sure someone will be able to help with some information.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tony, me thinks you have an air/vacumn leak in the supply/suction line side to the pump. Sounds to me like you did not need a new pump...you needed the line repaired.