ATF: Gateway - Gateway AC refrigerator/inverter

jimpav

How long will the Frigidaire refrigerator run just on the two 12 volt batteries? (dry camping) The dealer claims 41 hours. Our 3200 came standard with the residential AC only refrigerator and two 12 volt batteries, wired in parallel, with a 1000 watt inverter. There is no information on the amp draw for the refrigerator, nor is there any amp hour rating for the batteries.
Also, there is one battery disconnect switch, but in other Heartland units, I saw there were two disconnects. The wiring diagram on the HUG shows two disconnects as well. Am I missing something.

danemayer

Hi jimpav,

Shortly after the residential refrigerator option was introduced, I believe Heartland eliminated the 2nd cutoff switch. A short while later they changed back and started again installing the 2nd cutoff switch. You're probably one of a few units with a single switch.

I don't think that there's enough experience with this option to reliably state a number of hours of battery operation. Also, there are a number of variables that would cause a wide variation in answers.

• When hooked up to the tow vehicle, the batteries are getting a partial charge.
  • If the tow vehicle engine is running, there's probably a higher charge.
  • Battery condition/age/quality would be a critical factor.
  • Temperature inside the coach would drive a different duty cycle for the compressor, changing power consumption.
  • Other devices that also require battery power will shorten the time.

My best guess is that you'll get a full day of towing and possibly have enough battery to run overnight, if you're not drawing down the batteries by using things like the furnace. But it's just a guess.

jimpav

Thanks, danemayer. You are correct in the respect of the many variables for the charging. I can say that we just returned to Holland, Mi from the Urbanna rally, and with temps on the road in the low 90's, when we go to the rest area for the night, the freezer and lower box were nice and cold. The dealer told us the inverter was only to power the refrigerator (battery charge longevity), but how is it that I was able to turn on the TV and have A/C in one of the kitchen receptacles??? I will test all the outlets shortly to see if anything else is "live" while under inverter power only. I wouldn't want or have anything else rob the refrigerator of A/C while underway, or dry camping.

danemayer

how is it that I was able to turn on the TV and have A/C in one of the kitchen receptacles???
Very good question. Are all 3 in the same slide out? There's typically a junction box on the bottom of the slide out for 110V wiring coming into the slide out. I'd guess maybe at the junction box there's a wiring error that's tying the TV and outlet into the refrigerator circuit.

jimpav

Very good question. Are all 3 in the same slide out? There's typically a junction box on the bottom of the slide out for 110V wiring coming into the slide out. I'd guess maybe at the junction box there's a wiring error that's tying the TV and outlet into the refrigerator circuit.

Yes, the A/C outlets are on the same side of the trailer. I will look for that junction box under the slide. Where can I find a wiring diagram of the 3200? I didn't see anything in the HUG. I hope my unit wasn't made on a Friday before a holiday weekend. We had to have the entire TV cable replaced/rerouted before heading home to Holland, the table was poorly stained (replaced), and the spare tire was the wrong size.
PS It's a great trailer, and I expect "growing pains" to a degree.

danemayer

I don't think there are any wiring diagrams available, except for what's in the Residential Refrigerator Guide. Several of us have looked at the wiring and components for the residential refrigerator, albeit on a more recent build. What we found is shown in that drawing. The output of the transfer switch in the front compartment is romex that goes to a dedicated outlet behind the frig. However, we didn't investigate the routing of that romex. And the routing may vary by floor plan.

If there were any electrical problems found by the dealer prior to turning the unit over to you, it's possible they might have made a change without realizing they were tying into a dedicated circuit.

jbeletti

Hi Jim P,

I have passed this to the Gateway team so they may be aware of the TV wiring issue you had as well as be aware of the kitchen slide being powered by the inverter. I can't speak for the plant but it could be the design plan or a production miss.

jbeletti

Jim P,

I heard back from the Gateway plant as follows:
  • We use only 1 disconnect switch in Gateway
  • In Gateway, the inverter powers the kitchen slide recepts (or whatever is on the same line as the refer)

jimpav

Thanks Jim for the quick response. I will mske sure that when dry camping the TV is unpluged, as tv's have parasitic drain even when turned off. That's also interesting about the battery disconnect switch as compared to the block diagram in the HUG. I'm just not sure if it cuts off the battery from the inverter bank or the coach bank?
thanks again

jbeletti

Thanks Jim for the quick response. I will mske sure that when dry camping the TV is unpluged, as tv's have parasitic drain even when turned off. That's also interesting about the battery disconnect switch as compared to the block diagram in the HUG. I'm just not sure if it cuts off the battery from the inverter bank or the coach bank?
thanks again

Jim P,

The HUG document was created by Dan Mayer with help of other Heartlanders. They modeled an installation observed in a Landmark and integrated information gleaned from other installs and sources.

Plant 2 makes LM, BH and BC. They now use 2 cut-off switches. The GW plant uses 1. I suggest you disconnect from shore power, turn on the inverter, confirm that it is on, then turn the DC cut-off switch off. Then you will know. Circle back here to advise, so Dan sees it and can provide alternate info in the guide.

danemayer

That's also interesting about the battery disconnect switch as compared to the block diagram in the HUG. I'm just not sure if it cuts off the battery from the inverter bank or the coach bank?
JimPav,

We try to keep up with factory changes, but they have a lot of young people moving fast and we're few, old and slow :p.

If you look at the wire between batteries and inverter, you should be able to see if your one cutoff switch is in that path. If you have a moment to take a look and maybe post a picture, it would help get it right when we update the HUG guide.

porthole

Retired
The dealer claims 41 hours. Our 3200 came standard with the residential AC only refrigerator

I think your dealer got his numbers crossed. 14 hours (not 41) is what i would figure is a fair number to assume considering everything else that is running.

Last edited:

jimpav

I think yourmdealer got his numbers crossed. 14 hours (not 41) is what i would figure is a fair number to assume considering everything else that is running.
Yes indeed........14 hrs sounds more realistic. Unfortunately, I multiple folks at the dealership said the same thing (41 hrs).
I hope the 41 hr statement wasn't just a "sales gimmick". I've also heard the same number from other dealerships. I will "re-calibrate " my dealership. This is some important information the perspective RV owner needs to be clear on in making a purchase decision. It doesn't bother me as I am very happy with the Gateway, so far.
PS the Magnum CSW 1012 (1000watt) manual states that an 18 cu ft refrigerator will run for only 9 hours. This is using only one 12 volt 120 Amp Hour battery. Perhaps with the two batteries supplied you can get maybe 18 hrs run time??????? Nowhere near 41 dealer stated runtime hours. I'm not sure untill I remove the battery box cover and disconnect the wires just what was supplied (A/Hr) by Heartland.

Last edited:

GWRam

On the phone yesterday with Heartland discussing the fix for the CSW 1012 Frigidaire situation. Told the system (2 batteries and inverter) was designed to run a frig 16-21 hours. Probably get longer time on a pre cooled frig.

jimpav

You are correct, as I received a call from Heartland yesterday as well. 16-21 hours depending on a bunch of variables like age of batteries, ambient temp etc is about right. It seems that as long as you are not getting an error code E03, then your combination is OK. If you are getting that code, then a reprogrammed inverter from Heartland is in order.

You are correct, as I received a call from Heartland yesterday as well. 16-21 hours depending on a bunch of variables like age of batteries, ambient temp etc is about right. It seems that as long as you are not getting an error code E03, then your combination is OK. If you are getting that code, then a reprogrammed inverter from Heartland is in order.

My brand new bighorn just started this.
fridge will run 2 min then kick off, inverter beeps repeiadly and shuts off.
actually, after opening the front hatch, the inverter runs till the fan tries to kick on
then it beeps and shuts off.
my dealer says it's a known issue, who at heartland can I talk to
to get thus fixed?
i bought my Rv 14 hrs away, nearest service is over an hour at the dealer.
hopefully I can get another inverter and it will be ok.
please let me know!

danemayer

My brand new bighorn just started this.
fridge will run 2 min then kick off, inverter beeps repeiadly and shuts off.
actually, after opening the front hatch, the inverter runs till the fan tries to kick on
then it beeps and shuts off.
my dealer says it's a known issue, who at heartland can I talk to
to get thus fixed?
i bought my Rv 14 hrs away, nearest service is over an hour at the dealer.
hopefully I can get another inverter and it will be ok.
please let me know!

Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. The customer service reps should all know about the inverter fix.

jimpav

I received my new(?) reflashed inverter from Heartland the other day. Installed it and ran it for about 8 hours. Everything worked fine. Decided to turn it off when the batteries were getting really low.
PS you might want to get an extra 100 amp, 32 volt fuse link in case you get an unwanted spark. I had a hard time finding them as the only amperage the common auto stores had was 175 amp. I finally found them at the local Granger store for $4.30 apiece.