Help! Suggestions/recommendations required

TrickyD

He everyone. We are preparing for our first trip in our BH and do not know what is a real necessity to take along. It will be approx a two month trip from Man. to Florida. Requesting suggestions on what to take along and campgrounds to visit on the way. Any suggestions on campgrounds near Orlando for first 2 wks of March also requested.

Thx
TrickyD

HappyKayakers

Must have things for your trip: teflon tape, duct tape, WD-40, epoxy putty, cable ties, silicone sealant and caulk, spare fuses.
Suggested campground: Salt Springs Recreation Area in the Ocala National Forest. Not convenient if you plan to do all the Orlando tourist attractions but a really great place to camp.
Have a great trip.

jpmorgan37

Tricky D

I would recommend making reservations for any campgrounds that you plan to stay at during March because it is spring break for a lot of schools. I know that the park that we are at will be full in March. Spring Break and then Easter.

Tools? I carry a basic tool set that includes: socket set, both metric and SAE, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive up to 1 1/4 sockets. 1/2 drive torque wrench, 150 psi, air compressor, pliers (channel lock, vise grip, electricians, gas, wire cutters), a set of combination wrenches-metric and SAE, adjustable wrenches, cable ties, bungie cords, soldering gun, drill & drill bits, hammer (sledge, ball peen, claw, dead blow) electrical tape, various size wire terminals, crimper, Volt/ohm meter, and some other stuff that I probably don't need but have it for the satisfaction of knowing that if I ever do, I've got it. The fact that we are full timers and I do most of my own maintenance dictates what I carry and it isn't necessary for everyone. A lot will depend on you and your technical ability.

Enjoy your trip and have a great time in Florida.

John

jerr7

Carry a cell phone to call for service lol just teasing fig its cold here and need to humor myself lol I like to say look at Fla campgrounds site and check area you like to visit you didnt say where you will be . They have great campground near space center
jerry

navyAZ1

I assume your abreviation of Man. is Maine? Anyway if you're coming down thru Virginia I can reccomend the KOA in Charlottesville a very nice camp ground and only 5 miles from Montecello a great place to visit. And if you get near Charleston, SC be sure and stay at James Island County Park camp ground a great place to stay and super location for visiting the sites in Charleston.:D

TrickyD

Wow thanks and keep them coming!

I never thought of half ot the stuff listed! I was thinking of bringing a 6' step ladder, my tool box for minor repairs that I feel I can challenge, but never thought of an air compressor. I do have a 3K gen that I will take along. I think I have most of the stuff listed by JP except for the compressor. Hope it warms up a little as it's been bitterly cold up here with wind chills into the -50's. Most of the stuff is still packed and stored in the heatless garage!
I'll just have to dress up warm and go find the stuff!
More questions.... Do you store all this stuff in those clear plastic containers, in the main basement or in the front compartment?
What kind of fees are we looking at for camping? (I've been looking at campground memberships on e-bay but not sure what to go for.)
I don't have Good Sam, but I do have RV coverage with CAA.
We always travel with a cell phone, but don't turn it on unless we need to call out. Will also take along my laptop.
Man. abbreviation was for Manitoba, Canada.. we're about 3 hrs North of the North Dakota border.
As some of you may know from my previous posts, this is our "maiden" voyage. Sure hoping I don't have the problems that some folks here have had! (I'll be sure to bring along Heartlands contact numbers and keep my fingers & toes crossed.

Thanks all!
TrickyD

jpmorgan37

TrickyD;

Before you leave, I would check the adjustment of your brakes too. Make sure to set your tire pressure. Get a good tire gauge and check your pressure each morning before you hit the road. As the weather warms, you will probably find that your pressure will be a little higher, tires cold. Something I didn't mention before is a good selection of screws; 1 inch #8 to 3 inch deck screws and a tape measure and tin snips too.

John

TrickyD

Thx JP

I remembered reading about the tire pressure gauge previously, so I bought one that I hope is good enough. It reads to 150 psi. I used to have a real good one built into the air chuck like tire shops use for truck tires but I gave it to my buddy before we bought the Bighorn. Oh well as for the rest of the small stuff we'll just have to stop at a Home Depot or Lowes to get the necessities. I'm making an Excel list and will take with me. I believe most of these items should be less expensive Stateside.
Reason we want to be around Orlando/Kissemmee (sp) is we let our son have 2 weeks at Vistana resort and he, dear DIL and 2 grandkids arrive on Feb. 29th. Would like to spend some time with them befor they have to return on Mar 14th. Have been checking the net and anything near there is pretty expensive by my standards, but this is probably a once in a lifetime deal. We had promised our grand daughter to take her to Disney when I retired. Official date was Jan 31st.
TD

TrickyD

Thanks for the tip

Will call The "Tiki" campground first thing in he morning. From the pics on your link it looks like the units ae pretty close together but oh well. The rate is closer to what I was expecting to pay so hopefully I can get in there. Will try to book for around Feb. 27th to Mar. 16th.

Thanks again

TD:D:D

TrickyD

Thanks Chuck for the tip on Tiki Village. We arrived here about Feb 19th and will be here 'til Mar. 15th. Hope you are still here as would sure like to meet you! I think I've seen your site but never see anyone out and about Will keep
checking.
Thx again

TrickyD

johnjbird

One thing I didn't see mentioned above is a plug kit to plug a flat tire. That along with the air compressor can get you out of a bind if there is no repair service available. then when you get where there is service available you can have the tire removed and patched in the back if you want. Just remember to check you air pressure at least daily. Enjoy

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Thanks Chuck for the tip on Tiki Village. We arrived here about Feb 19th and will be here 'til Mar. 15th. Hope you are still here as would sure like to meet you! I think I've seen your site but never see anyone out and about Will keep
checking.
Thx again

TrickyD

Glad it was you. I thought your plate was from Manitoba. I've walked over there a few times, but your truck was not there. Glad you are seeing the sites this beautiful part of Florida has to offer.

We are on site 1, just north of the pond - red Dodge pickup. MI plate KLM 38.

Looking forward to meeting up with you.