Survey-Residential Refrigerator/Inverter problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kseagle

This is a follow up to several different threads about inverter problems in Heartland 5th wheels. If you own a Heartland 5th wheel with a residential refrigerator, please take a moment to answer this survey and see a) who is effected by this problem and b) what has Heartland done to fix it for you.

1. What brand, model & build date do you own? It appears that the problem started appearing in the early 2014 builds.
2. Are you having problems keeping the refrigerator running on battery power with the inverter? If no, how long does the refrigerator run on battery power alone or when hooked up to the TV?
3. If yes, you are having problems, what specifically is your problem and how long does the refrigerator run on battery power?
4. What has Heartland done to fix the problem?

Maybe if we present a united front Heartland will step up to the plate and furnish the correct replacement part(s).

kseagle

I'll start the survey:
1. Landmark, Key Largo, build date 3/2014
2. Yes we are having inverter problems
3. Inverter will not carry the load of the compressor start on the refrigerator. If the refrigerator is cold (just off shore power) it will run (lights on, digital display) until it gets warm enough to need the compressor then the inverter fault trips. This could be 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending upon conditions. If warm, the refrigerator will not run for more than 30 seconds.
4. Heartland says that it is not supposed to run more than 2 hours on battery power and have refused to send a larger inverter to our dealer. Heartland has suggested that our TV has a problem (a brand new Dodge 3500) and has asked the dealer to check it out.

danemayer

David,

As I'm sure you know from reading the threads that you mention, Heartland has been working on a solution to the problems people are having with the refrigerator running on battery power.

Starting a new thread to repeat what's in the other threads really isn't productive. It just 1) creates repetition of the prior reports, and 2) creates a very good possibility of capturing new reports and further fragmenting the overall picture.

I'm sorry that Heartland hasn't gotten to the final answer yet, but this isn't going to help get the engineering work done.

alethaj

We have the 2015 Big Horn 3755 FL..took it out for a test run this past weekend....Fridge ran about 2 minutes on the inverter...only went 45 miles from home...by the time we arrived at camp site the temps had risen from 0 in the freezer to 29..Called the dealer to inform them of the problem and took the unit in today...Dealer said Heartland was sending another inverter..the one in the coach must be bad...I told dealer of this forum and discussions already posted and the waste of time to replace this inverter with the same one..but that seems to be the plan...Very unhappy to be dealing with a company that knowling sells a product that does not work...not sure what recourse we have at this point...**************....this is not the way to do business

Last edited by a moderator:

kseagle

The threads about this problem are posted in several different spots and are already fragmented. I'm simply trying to consolidate them and find out how many people are affected by this problem. That is why I asked specific questions in order to try and get an overall picture. BTW, my last contact with HL this afternoon is that they are not working on the problem as they don't see that there is a problem. According to the service rep for HL the refrigerator is only supposed to run about 2 hours on the batteries. At least that is what he told us. I would be interested to hear of other HL owners who's refrigerators run longer than that or have never had a problem starting or running their refrigerators on the inverters that HL installs.

alethaj

Sorry..did not mean to break rules..will let my fingers cool off before posting my unhappiness again... :)

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I have a 2014 BH 3585 and not had any problems. First time out with it run for 6 hours and return trip run 6 hrs. Second time out was 3 hrs.

Hunter11

I have a 2014 BH 3585 and not had any problems. First time out with it run for 6 hours and return trip run 6 hrs. Second time out was 3 hrs.

Maybe Heartland should talk to bsummit and some of the others that are making their residential fridges work for longer than 2 hrs. on the inverter and get some pointers from them. Like I said in my other post, I will fix it myself if their fix is "it will only run for 2 hrs." on the inverter. They have known about this for over a month now with still no fix in sight.

jbeletti

Hi all,

Here's the latest from Heartland Engineering:

Heartland, working with its suppliers, has done extensive testing to insure that the replacement inverters are up to the task.

Although this issue has been frustrating for all concerned, as early as Monday (23-June), a solution will be in hand.

It has been determined that a change needed to be made to the firmware in the inverter. This change will allow the inverter to handle higher in rush current for an extended time period.

The 1000 watt inverter supplied is more than sufficient to power the refrigerator. Increasing the wattage is counterproductive regarding battery life, and there is no guaranty that it’s over current protection is any better.

Some people may have received an inverter from Xantrex. This is a viable substitution as a stop gap measure.

Last edited:

Lou_and_Bette

Hi all,

Some people may have received an inverter from Xantrex. This is a viable substitution as a stop gap measure.

Jim, glad to hear that HL is really working this problem since the new BH comes with a residential refer. When I mention to Kevin my concerns about this problem, he indicated it would be coming with a Xantrex. Now, and sorry about being a real PITA, what exactly does "stop gap measure" mean? To me this indicates a "temporary fix" and will be changed ASAP when the permanent solution is applied. Just thinking ahead - I tend to over think contingencies:rolleyes:

Majestic

Our unit produced Feb 2014 works great, running the fridge for 8-9 hours while travelling. Once we fixed the disc brake wiring issues that was killing the battery, all is great on this front.

Hunter11

I was one of the ones suppose to receive the Xantrex inverter early this week. When I had not received it by Thursday I emailed my POC and was told those were put on hold. I would assume because they did not work either. I had a mobile RV tech out to do some warranty work and he checked the tag on our fridge which shows 8.5 running amps. He did some figuring and said that would require right at 1000 watts to run with a surge of probably 30% more than that when the compressor kicked on. If this is correct that would mean the 1000 watt inverter is marginal.

MrRvGypsy

2014 Savannah built early February 2104. No issues so far whatsoever with inverter. Longest time on battery inverter power for fridge was about 5 hours twice. Keeps freezer at 5 deg and fridge at 39 deg.
Something changed in the hardware late Feb or early Mar

Bobcar_1

I have experienced a problem with the Xantrex XM1000 inverter installed by Heartland in my 2015 Bighorn. We have the residential refrigerator in our unit. The inverter failed to allow the refrigerator to start up when we were loading up for a trip shortly after receiving the trailer. After some discussion with Xantrex, they determined that the XM1000 is underpowered for the residential refrigerator. The XM1000 just doesn't have enough umph to start up the refrigerator compressor from a warm status. I have informed RV Outlet, our dealer, and Art at Heartland of this problem along with the comments from Xantrex. I have also advised our dealer that I was willing to pay the difference between a replacement XM1000 and the recommended XM1800 inverter. I guess that I could have insisted that Heartland provide the appropriate inverter for this unit without cost since this is a brand new 2015 trailer, but I don't have the time to wait for them to make a decision. In many instances with new models or equipment, this type of failure can occur particularly if inadequate testing and analysis has not been performed. I will inform you'all on the results.

porthole

Retired
If you are going to change it out in your own, consider the Magnum brand. Customer service is much better.

danemayer

I have experienced a problem with the Xantrex XM1000 inverter installed by Heartland in my 2015 Bighorn. We have the residential refrigerator in our unit. The inverter failed to allow the refrigerator to start up when we were loading up for a trip shortly after receiving the trailer. After some discussion with Xantrex, they determined that the XM1000 is underpowered for the residential refrigerator. The XM1000 just doesn't have enough umph to start up the refrigerator compressor from a warm status. I have informed RV Outlet, our dealer, and Art at Heartland of this problem along with the comments from Xantrex. I have also advised our dealer that I was willing to pay the difference between a replacement XM1000 and the recommended XM1800 inverter. I guess that I could have insisted that Heartland provide the appropriate inverter for this unit without cost since this is a brand new 2015 trailer, but I don't have the time to wait for them to make a decision. In many instances with new models or equipment, this type of failure can occur particularly if inadequate testing and analysis has not been performed. I will inform you'all on the results.

Bi Bobcar_1,

The problem was caused by the refrigerator manufacturer changing compressors in the frig. The new compressor draws more power for a very short time at startup, overloading the inverter. The firmware on the inverter has been updated to deal with the surge.

Hopefully the Heartland Customer Service Rep (if that's who you spoke with) explained this to you. A number of owners have had their dealers change the inverter to the one with new firmware. Others have made the exchange themselves.

Based on posts to the forum, the fix takes care of the problem and there's no need for a larger inverter.

k-f-Indiana

1. Heartland, Big Country, Dec. 2013
2. Yes
3. Started out running an hour or 2, then wouldn't stay on at all.
4. They finally sent us one of the reworked 1000 watt inverters, my husband installed it, and it now works fine, including the switch to activate it in the cabinet. We tried 2 different servicers who could not or would not fix it.
This is a follow up to several different threads about inverter problems in Heartland 5th wheels. If you own a Heartland 5th wheel with a residential refrigerator, please take a moment to answer this survey and see a) who is effected by this problem and b) what has Heartland done to fix it for you.

1. What brand, model & build date do you own? It appears that the problem started appearing in the early 2014 builds.
2. Are you having problems keeping the refrigerator running on battery power with the inverter? If no, how long does the refrigerator run on battery power alone or when hooked up to the TV?
3. If yes, you are having problems, what specifically is your problem and how long does the refrigerator run on battery power?
4. What has Heartland done to fix the problem?

Maybe if we present a united front Heartland will step up to the plate and furnish the correct replacement part(s).

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
1. Heartland, Key Largo, August 2014
2. Yes
3. Started tripping off sometimes after 2 hours, others less than an hour.
4. Got the "reflashed" inverter from Heartland and have been on two trips since then and not had a single problem. One trip was a 5 1/2 hour drive and not an issue.

Rod Ditrich

Status
Not open for further replies.