Has anyone installed an Idaho Tote

macjj

I am considering the Idaho tote for my 2012 Big Horn. I'm curious whether anyone has thought of the idea and what issues they encounterd

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Jay,

I gave it serious consideration and even got a quote from the manufacturer, but I just couldn't justify the $8,000+ price tag. That's cost before I would have to pay a local trailer company I deal with to weld the hitch to the frame and get it set up correctly. I'd really like one, but not at that price.

Sorry I can't help you any.

Keith

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
thanks Duane. I've glanced through the material. Not sure I'm a big fan of those small wheels though. Price is about 1/3 of the Idaho Tote.

macjj

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Agree the price is high but the technology is superb. The smaller wheels or the casters as alternatives is just a little scary to me. Besides most states including California don't allow tandems but this configuration passes the DMV taste test. Only issue is they require I have a class A license. Thanks for the response it is appreciated

porthole

Retired
Thought the same thing Keith. But that 2/3's saving will allow 2 spare tires and two extra tire pressure sensors and even a camera to monitor what is going on. And still leave $$$ left over for a used golf cart.

porthole

Retired
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Agree the price is high but the technology is superb. The smaller wheels or the casters as alternatives is just a little scary to me. Besides most states including California don't allow tandems but this configuration passes the DMV taste test. Only issue is they require I have a class A license. Thanks for the response it is appreciated

By tandems, do you mean the difference between a singe caster and dual casters?

I have yet to find any negatives on the net with either brand, other then the cost difference on the Tote.
I would not consider the single wheel versions for my motorcycle.

And, giving the dynamic of the difference in the way the single and dual wheel version operate, the single wheel is a "non-option" for me. Too large of a chance for damage for my toys and to large of a chance for damage to the 5th wheel do to the stresses imposed by the single wheel.

I have a lot of riding buddies that tow motorcycle trailers. Most are dual wheel trailers, but a few pull single "inline" trailers. The single may pull better, but when you want to stop and take it off your options are limited.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I assume (that word) he meant two trailers hooked together, but like stated, by using two points of contact the Tote becomes an extension of the RV. DMV and State Police in Virginia both said the two point attachment made it legal, but neither could point to a specific law or code that said that in black and white. It's a grey area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbarnard

I have a Toy-Tote made in Lake Havasu, AZ. I have pulled two Quads all over California, Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona. Never been stopped and never had any problems. It mounts solid to the back of the 5th wheel.

jimtoo

A question I have now...not that I am going to install a hitch or Idaho tote or swivel wheel, but since it is being called an "extension of RV" do you need a license for the unit? :)

I mean do you need license plate on the unit?

Last edited:

macjj

Have not checkout ToyTote but will have to do that. When I stated tandem it's two trailers behind a towing vehicle. California is not allow his configuration. The Idaho Tote and maybe ToyTote is a fixed configuration to the back of the first towed vehicle. According to the California DMV like Virginia this is allowed however there is no specific point in the vehicle code that addresses it. However the DMV has suggested because of the length and the gross vehicle weight ratios that I have class A license with a tandem endorsements noncommercial. I can't speak for other states other than California. I do agree a single wheel is a nonstarter dual casters just does not give me a comfortable feeling for the reasons stated.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
A question I have now...not that I am going to install a hitch or Idaho tote or swivel wheel, but since it is being called an "extension of RV" do you need a license for the unit? :)

I mean do you need license plate on the unit?

Same Virginia DMV folks said no license needed if it's attached by two or more points and turns as part of the RV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I have a Toy-Tote made in Lake Havasu, AZ. I have pulled two Quads all over California, Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona. Never been stopped and never had any problems. It mounts solid to the back of the 5th wheel.

Dale,
Its good to see you lurking around here on the forum. I've seen that Toy-Tote on your trailer and thought it looked pretty cool. I was surprised you could haul that much on it.

Kristy

chiefneon

I am considering the Idaho tote for my 2012 Big Horn. I'm curious whether anyone has thought of the idea and what issues they encounterd

Howdy!

We fulltimed for seven years with a Idaho Tote attached to our Carri-Lite 5 slide until the recently purchase of our Cyclone 4000. We carried a Yamaha Rhino on it and the last two years we carried a Smart Car. They are well built and the best tote on the market. When asked about ours I always stated you get what you pay for. We never licensed ours we just moved the 5er plate to the rear of the tote as it is a extention of the 5er. The pulled it into most of the lower 48 and also Alaska including the west coast California, Oregon, and Washington. Last year we towed it to the Canadian maritimes even to Newfoundland. We done all of the right coast to from Flordia to Maine. Never been stopped or question by law enforcement but we did get quite alot of looks driving down the road. Wish I had a dollar for ever cel phone picture that was taken we would never have to pay for fuel again. Idaho Toe is a great way to go if you already own your RV. It also gives your the ability to disconnect it which you can not do with a toy hauler.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

macjj

Thanks Gary. I firmly agree, you get what you paid for. It is good to hear of someone that has used it successfully. However laws change from state to state, and California is not so lienent. And it have been informed that if the state of origin says OK, Other states honor their policy. And my tow vehicle doesn't match up to your rig

macjj

Update. Just finished a 13000 mi trip with the Tote thru 13 states where nay a word was said from troopers except when I re-entered CA At Winterhaven. Although the CHP did not cite me for the length or configuration, he did alert me to new DMV requirements that I need a "5th wheel endorsement" because the dry weight is greater than 10K lbs. leave it to CA to change the rules midstream and it is your responsibility to figure it out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Although the CHP did not cite me for the length or configuration, he did alert me to new DMV requirements that I need a "5th wheel endorsement" because the dry weight is greater than 10K lbs. leave it to CA to change the rules midstream and it is your responsibility to figure it out

Hi macjj,

Here's a link to the 2011 California Towing Guide. Page 2 speaks to license requirements. Have to wonder if your stop means that CHP is going to start enforcing the requirements.

macjj

2011 is now super ceded by 2015. Lots of changes, but also some clarity. That is where they mention "endorsement ". Threw out my old sources, and need to readdress the tote after I get the 5th wheel endorsement. Where the old regs. talked about a "hinged" double, the new regs. do not go into that definition. My approach is to get the endorsement, then take to CHP for clarification (putting the coach plate on the Tote). Will let you all know how it turns out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk