Any experiences: Yellowstone National Park?

Remeron

Hey guys,

A few of our toy hauler friends have begun the initial discussion about a trip to Yellowstone National Park. Curious if anyone can give us any suggestions or tips regarding access to the park from the Seattle/Vancouver, Canada. We are planning between 2-3 weeks. Does anyone have any experiences camping and the reservation systems for booking within the park, or any suggestions of any campgrounds just outside the park borders? Our smallest/shortest rig is a 35 footer and longest will be two 45 foot toy haulers. We'll be bringing quads... so any suggestions of trails would be appreciated!

Looking forward to this conversation and the helpful advice as usual!

etcmss

just left Yellowstone and Cody, Wy. Stayed at the Ponderosa Campground on the west side of town. drove into Yellowstone and around the south loop with Ole Faithful. Plan on warm clothes--the other day it was 39. plan on a full day or two driving both loops ad the maybe out the west side into Idaho or up through Montana, Ponderosa will handle the large toy haulers but if you want one closer there a number of parks on the west access road in Waptipi. Gary

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We stayed here with a 39 foot Big Horn a couple of years ago. The park is not a 5 star resort but we didn't spend our days there, just the time we were too exhausted to go back into the park. It is at the north entrance to the park at Gardiner, MT.

http://www.rockymountainrvpark.com/

Kristy

wdk450

I stayed 2 weeks before the Gillette, Wyoming Heartland National rally in 2012, at Bakers Hole National Forest Service Campground just 2 miles North of the city of West Yellowstone, Montana. Although the campground only has electricity at the sites, water is available for your tanks at the entrance, and dump stations ($) are available at all of the many commercial campgrounds in West Yellowstone. The campground is no reservation, first-come-first served, but the best part is that it is on the Federal Golden Age/Disability Passport system and I only paid $15 a night. I came in on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend (it was 30 degrees midafternoon, blowing snow) but was still easily able to find a good site. The Golden Age Passport also got me into the park for free.

I think that sites for big rigs within the park are limited to one area, Fishing Bridge.

There are many commercial parks in the City of West Yellowstone area, too.

I came in from Idaho on Hwy 20.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
There may other ways, but maybe take I 90 east to Montana and south on 191 in Bozeman and that will take right into W. Yellowstone. If you are close to the I 15, you can take it south to the 20 in Idaho Falls and east on 20 to W. Yellowstone. There a some CG's on 191 and 20 outside the park. I think that Yellowstone park is 1st come 1st serve. Dont wait too late in the summer...end of August to early September it could snow.