Looking to replace my 2012 Nissan Titan SL 4x4

I am looking at a 2014 Dodge 1500 Big Horn edition. I am wondering if anyone out there has one and what kind of mileage you are getting. I pull a 24RBS that is around 6500 lbs loaded. With the Nissan I have been getting between 8 and 10 MPG. If the Dodge gets 14-16 pulling I would be way ahead to get it.

Looking for opinions.

scottyb

I test drove one of the 1st 1500 diesels in Austin and it is certainly not lacking in power and agility. I believe it has about the same tow rating as the V8 Hemi. A friend that has one and he says he's getting 23 mpg in town. I am meeting him for lunch next week and will get more info. It is very exciting news to finally see a LD pickup with a diesel.

GOTTOYS

If you like Nissan there is talk that next year they are putting the Cummins engine built for Dodge into their trucks. Dodge went with the Fiat Diesel and left Cummins with an engine that Nissan swooped up quickly.

http://www.nissanusa.com/future-and-concept-vehicles/frontier-diesel-runner
The engine Nissan is going to use is not the same 6.7 Cummins Chrysler is using. Dodge is using a Fiat built diesel in their 1500 series trucks and the 6.7 Cummins in their heavy duty series. There are no plans that I am aware of to give up the Cummins. The engine going into the Nissan is a 5.0 liter Cummins built V8...Don

ramdually4100king

The engine Nissan is going to use is not the same 6.7 Cummins Chrysler is using. Dodge is using a Fiat built diesel in their 1500 series trucks and the 6.7 Cummins in their heavy duty series. There are no plans that I am aware of to give up the Cummins. The engine going into the Nissan is a 5.0 liter Cummins built V8...Don

The 5.0L Cummins was originally built for the DODGE 1500. Dodge decided to go with their parent companies (FIAT) engine. As you can see by my name I know the engine in a 3500 dodge is a 6.7l engine.

I was just quoted a price that would raise my payment about $20 per month. I think I can make up for that easily in gas savings especially when pulling. Just wish there was someone out there with real mileages to look at.

Thanks for all the advice

Jim.Allison

You can get out of the 1/2 ton truck and into the 3/4 ton and have a heck of a lot better vehicle for towing. I prefer the RAM truck with the Cummins, GM with a Duramax, and Ford with the powerstroke in that order. In gasoline models I would go Ford, Ram, and GM in that order. BUT, RAM is offering a 1/2 ton with a diesel. This RAM 1/2 is something to look into both in economy and towing specifications. As far as real milage is concerned My RAM is getting everything promised. YouTube is a great place to get information about your planned purchases. Manytimes owners and magazines will have a video talking about what they like or don't like. Kind of like talking to your neighbor about the truck you intend to buy, you might also find someone reporting on a serious or not so serious design flaws.
I was just quoted a price that would raise my payment about $20 per month. I think I can make up for that easily in gas savings especially when pulling. Just wish there was someone out there with real mileages to look at.

Thanks for all the advice

Jim.Allison

The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 comes to these shores courtesy of VM Motori, a longtime Italian marine-diesel-engine builder and former affiliate of Fiat.
The 5.0L Cummins was originally built for the DODGE 1500. Dodge decided to go with their parent companies (FIAT) engine. As you can see by my name I know the engine in a 3500 dodge is a 6.7l engine.

Jim.Allison

Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel
cummins-5L-V8-turbo-diesel-pickup.jpg

We’re pleased to announce that Nissan will offer a newly-developed Cummins V8 turbo diesel in its next generation full-size pickup.

Now in the latter stages of development and testing, the available Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel engine has been optimized for the next generation Titan as a result of the partnership between Cummins and Nissan. Cummins also is developing a version of the engine for commercial vehicle customers.

This new engine will offer the right balance of power, performance and fuel economy while delivering the dependability that customers expect. With a torque rating in the mid-500s (lb-ft) and more than 300 horsepower, the Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel will provide light truck customers the combination of towing capacity and mileage that is expected in the highly-competitive North American truck marketplace.

The Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel will be built at the Columbus Engine Plant in Columbus, Ind., the home of Cummins headquarters. This plant has the latest technological innovations to continue the 90-plus year tradition of building the highest quality Cummins engines.

For competitive reasons, Nissan is not announcing launch dates at this stage in the truck’s development. Further information on the upcoming Titan truck and Cummins engine will be released at a later date. - http://cumminsengines.com/cummins-5l-v8-turbo-diesel

Speedy

I agree with Jim.Allison that if one is looking for a new tow vehicle the best long term option is at least a 250/2500. 150/1500 pickups are really just full size cars with a large open top trunk. Any weight in excess of 500 pounds makes them sag in the rear.

I think it's great that diesels are coming back in smaller trucks but I would give Dodge/Fiat a year to make sure the bugs are worked out. The same would go for Nissan.

ramdually4100king

Filler!!!

The Cummins 5.0L V8 Turbo Diesel will be built at the Columbus Engine Plant in Columbus, Ind., the home of Cummins headquarters. This plant has the latest technological innovations to continue the 90-plus year tradition of building the highest quality Cummins engines.

more Filler!!!

Ok I will bite on your Trolling just because I have nothing better to do.

So, how is the Cummins engine being made in America disprove that the 1500 Dodge engine is from VM Motori and that the Nissan will get the new Cummins? The 2500/3500 Ram has the 6.7L Cummins and hopefully allways will.

I believe we are saying the same thing but I am not saying it the way you want... So I am waiting for your enlightenment.

priorguy

General Motors sold their half of Motori to Fiat recently to help with their bottom line I assume. The engine was a GM/Fiat joint venture until that happened. Chevy is offering a 2.0L Eco diesel in the Cruze for 2014 but I'm not familiar with its origins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

It is the VM Motori engine that will be built at the plant. My post was intended to support your post. Sorry if I offended.
Ok I will bite on your Trolling just because I have nothing better to do.

So, how is the Cummins engine being made in America disprove that the 1500 Dodge engine is from VM Motori and that the Nissan will get the new Cummins? The 2500/3500 Ram has the 6.7L Cummins and hopefully allways will.

I believe we are saying the same thing but I am not saying it the way you want... So I am waiting for your enlightenment.