Delamination

rlkubi

We have a 2010 North Trail 31RLSS travel trailer. We got it about a year ago and love it! We use it at least two weekends a month when not winter and have already had three 10 day trips in it. We got here on Thursday night and went to bed and at the head of the bed in the front of the camper there is wallpaper. I noticed there were a lot of creases in it and a thin line that looks likel liquid ran down it. Also in the closet on the same side the creases. My husband went up on the roof and didn't see anything. I'm attaching two pictures. Does anyone know what could have caused this? We do have the extended warranty but not sure this will be covered.

Thank you!

danemayer

looks likel liquid ran down it
Hi rlkubi,

Delamination is usually due to water intrusion so you may have answered your own question. 2010 trailers were probably manufactured in 2H'2009 or 1H'2010, so depending on how the caulking has been maintained over the last 4 to 5 years, there could have been (and still could be) areas where water is getting in.

Btw, you might try again on posting the pictures.

rlkubi

Well, we had the maintenance guy at our camping place check it and we have some leakage evidently in the front (front top is soft and rotting evidently). We did get extended warranty and we have insurance. Does anyone know if this would be generally covered? We just bought about a year ago and the dealership we bought from said they had checked caulking etc.

danemayer

Extended warranties vary quite a bit in the fine print of what's covered and what is excluded. Here's an example of an exclusion from Good Sam Gold Coverage:
Any loss or damage to the overall structure both internal and external, including but not limited to Frames, Bumpers, Walls, Floor, Roof, Siding, Doors,
Remote or manually actuated panels or covers, Windows, Glass, Weather stripping and moldings, Cabinets, Counter Tops and Integrated Sinks, Carpet, Beds,
Awning fabric, Batteries, Fuses, Tires, Wheels. (Structure materials can be either wood, metal, rubber, fiberglass, glass or any other structural product).

Collision/Comprehensive coverage is less clear. Take a look at the policy, looking for the list of exclusions.

rlkubi

Has anyone had anything like this happen? Just wondering how much it would cost to rebuild front end if needed.

Heartland said that you are supposed to check the seal every 3 months! They also said you are supposed to use a dehumidifier. No one has ever said that to us.

rlkubi

We bought a 2010 North Trail about 15 months ago from a dealer. We now have delamination in the front walls. :( They said they made sure everything was sealed well. I asked the dealer when we did the walk through about maintenance and they said we don't have to do much. We have someone going to give us a bid in about 10 days. Could this have happened this quickly or does it take longer? I'm thinking this could have been there when we bought the camper from the dealer. :( Could RV insurance cover this? Sorry for all the questions. Just upset right now :(

danemayer

Merged your new thread with the previous one.

How long do you have to have a water leak before you see the effects of water damage? I'm not sure, but my guess is that it might be less than 15 months. Does that mean the leak didn't exist when the dealer sold you the trailer? No. A 2010 trailer has been subjected to the elements for 4-5 years and you probably have no idea about the maintenance history during the first few years prior to your purchase. Is it possible to determine when the water intrusion began? I'm doubtful.

On insurance, same answer as before; look at the policy to see what's covered and what's excluded. Or call your insurance company and take their word for it, considering that the insurance company has a vested interest in not paying.

rlkubi

I have a question. We have a 2010 North Trail. We just got an estimate for a leak for $7,000! Evidently the front end needs to be rebuilt. We bought this used from a dealer last March. I think this was already there when we bought this trailer. Those of you who have more knowledge then me could you please give me your feedback. Could this much damage happen in 15 months? This was our first RV. When we bought we told them this was our first and I asked what maintenance was needed. We were told to just look at the roof a couple times a year and not much was needed. We are getting another bid too. We do have the extended warranty and our RV insurance.

Thanks for your comments.

rlkubi

Ok well we got two quote to fix our delamination problem. One for $5,000 and the other for $7,000-10,500! For those of you who know more then I do could this much damage have happened in about a year? The problem is the front end cap. When we bought the camper the dealership delivered the RV and left the bedroom vent open. That weekend it poured all weekend. They dropped off early on Saturday morning and we got a call at 5 p.m. Sunday about the vent being left open by the security from our camping resort. Could this have caused this damage? This is our first RV - we had a pop up before. When we were on the walk through (4 hour walk through) showing us how to do everything I asked what kind of maintenance do we have to do. He said just look around a couple times a year - not much maintenance. Well obviously he was wrong. :( Comments?

rlkubi

Another update. The RV is being fixed now and we just had a meeting with the service manager. He said this leak was probably there when it was new and not caught :(. $5,000 later we are fixing it. Sad. It doesn't make me happy at all!. We bought 1 1/2 years and the dealer we purchased from hadn't recaulked either.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
AAAAH, your dealer is playing the"blame game". How would he know if the leak was there when it was new. Maybe the 1st owner did not maintain it or did not care if it leaked. Maybe the vent being open caused it. Your dealer fault...maybe. Will they fess up to it ..NO. I doubt if anyone will ever know who, when, where or how. You did however buy a used coach and with that "it's buyer beware". You are having it repaired so........get it back and use it and have fun. From now on, stay on top of the caulking and regular maintance items.

rlkubi

No my dealer isn't fixing it. Another dealer is. We will stay on top of it now but when you are a new RV owner and you are told maintenance is "no big deal" by the dealer you believe them.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
That was your 1st mistake. You think used car salesmen are bad.......used RV salesmen make the used car guys look like angels. Anyway, your getting it repaired and now you can enjoy it.

From now on, go out and sniff it, kick it, shake it, get on top and look under it. Make sure it has good quality tires, pack the wheel bearings, adjust the brakes when it needs it. But most of all, check all the caulking at least 2 times a year. Dont use the "house type" caulking...get the good stuff from a RV store. Get a good water pressure regulator with a guage, a clear plastic adaptor so you can see if the black tank is running clear. Maybe an inline water filter or two. And by no means use the same water hose that you drink out of to flush your black tank.

BTW, any RV is a "rolling earthquake" while traveling.....so....things "shake, rattle and roll" loose.

Good luck
Bob

rlkubi

Well, we got our fixed RV back and the RV dealer we had fix it (not the one we purchased from) said this has been going on since it was new - for about 5 years! We wil definitely be more careful from now on and will never buy from the dealer that sold it to us again.