Slide Leak

jonesj2

OK, I am not bashing Heartland, but you know we purchased a Sundance 2900MK last weekend. We have not even had it out for a shakedown trip yet. Well Thursday we had 3/4 inch of rain over the night and into the morning. Went out on Friday evening to take a few items in and notice the carpet was wet in the bedroom slideout. The location was on the right side closes to the closet.

Has anyone else experienced this leak?

Was it a fix that was accomplished by the owner or did you have to take it back to the dealer?

What caused the leak?

I am really disappointed it leaked before I ever took it out!!

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Jim;
Sorry to hear that you are having problems with a water intrusion. Check this thread for some ideas. Heres the link. If this doesn't help, contact Heartland Customer Service @ 877-262-8032 and ask for their recommendations.

John

jonesj2

Thanks for the thread, I just finished reading it before your post. It sounds like the same problem I am having too. Hopefully he will post back what they found, in the mean time I am going to pull the vehicle the rest of the way out of the shed because it is suppose to rain tomorrow and Tuesday. I want to see if there are other leaks too. I guess I will close the bed slide and see if it leaks again.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
jonesj2 - do you have a window in that slide near the area of the leak. We had a leak in our BH near the back slide and it turned out that it was a faulty window. Dealer replaced the window and leak was gone.

DaleR

Jonesj2- We have leak in our bedroom slide out, shower side of the bed. Took it to the dealer and they fixed some of it. Most of the time it leaks when the wind is hitting that side of the unit. It's a part time leak, that may never be found, leaks open or closed. Not much help to you, but will post it if I find what the problem is. Good luck.

Packer

jrlebaron

I was told by a dealer that if the unit is not level water may have the tendency to run down the outside trim and get in behind the rubber seal. The dealer said to wedge the rubber out from the sider and caulk a small dam to keep the water out. I know when i had my leak the rig was not prefectly level. I haven't caulked yet but have been on the level ever since. Hope this helps. Jim

jonesj2

Thanks for each and every response. I am going to contact Heartland today and see what they suggest.

jpmorgan37

I made a rookie mistake two days ago. I've never had a problem with a water leak at the bedroom slide, but I wet the carpet with water and dirt next to the closet. It rained, no it poured and the wind blew hard, the night before we moved. The carpet was dry when we got up in the morning. Anyway, I made a mistake by not closing my slides while the trailer was level. I had lowered the front of the RV preparing to connect, and that allowed the water that was laying on top of the slide (awning?) to come by the seal and wet the carpet when we were closing the slide. With the trailer level, the upper seal works like a squeegee. Too much for it to handle when it's off level, I guess.

jonesj2

You know that can happen to the best of us.

I have never had that much water come in for pulling the slide back in. In the future I will lower or raise the unit before allowing the wife to pull in slides. Better safe than sorry.

theharveys

It is a bit of a hassle, but I always climb onto the roof of the trailer and I sweep any debris/standing water off of the slideouts prior to DW retracting them.
WFM :)

jpmorgan37

I have awnings over my slides, but the high winds and driving torrential rains apparently put a fair amount of water on the top of my slides. It definitely wasn't a normal situation, but I learned something from it. As the manual recommends, have the trailer level when operating the slides. I should know better.

John

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Our 4 month old 3005 is going in to the local dealer on Thursday for the 3rd time. I have nothing but good things to say about the factory's response to the problem we're encountering. We're in Texas and deal with Steve Kennel. He has worked with Explore USA in Mesquite to find a fix. His comments and my suspicions are that the leak MAY actually be coming from somewhere other than the bedroom slide. Our TV antenna is directly over the bedroom(and is extended in the up position), as is the 2nd A/C "hole". If this trip doesn't work, we'll be gone for 2-3 months and we'll have to keep wringing towels until it is fixed. Stay in touch with the regional rep and maybe they can find the leaks for all of us.
Now, if they'd just show the people installing the sinks where the washers are supposed to go on the drains...

azbound

Bed room slide leak

jonesj2,, I have a leak on the shower side of the bedroom slide on my BH 3400RL, it is at the dealer right now I will let you know what they find. AS with your leak this was my maiden trip, first rain and there it was, at wet carpet.