Tow vehicle tires...."Again"

Rodbuster

Really puzzled on this one.
I've read quite a few threads on tire replacement recommendations for your tow vehicle. The general consensus would be to go with the Michelin tires.
What I don't understand is the huge difference in tire life that is being reported. Anywhere from 30,000 to 100,000 miles have been reported.

I am running the original tires that came with my 2011 F350 dually. I just turned 52,000 miles with them and I feel that I have at least 5000 more "safe miles" with them. The front tires have been rotated with the outside rear tires one time at about 30,000.
They are BF Goodrich LT 245/75R17 M&S.
The inside rear tires (that have never been touched) still look great. I would guess they have about 20,000 miles left in them.

I'm ready to replace at least 4 tires. (2 front & 2 outside rear)
Would you suggest that I replace all 6???
How about buying 3 new Goodrich and using my spare tire for the fourth??? (spare tire has never touched the road)
Getting back to the spare tire....It's about 3 1/2 years old but has always been tucked away under the truck out of the sun. Do you see any problems with that.

Any "other" suggestions???

Thank you for any thoughts.
Dick

dbbls59

Do not put one new and one used tire on the same side on the rear. The new tire will carry all the weight and wear out much quicker. I would buy 5 tires and use the best old one as the spare.

MTPockets

Do not put one new and one used tire on the same side on the rear. The new tire will carry all the weight and wear out much quicker. I would buy 5 tires and use the best old one as the spare.
That's what I would do as well. I would Put the current spare on an outside rear and save the best tire for the spare.

Lynn1130

Expected mileage on new tires is related to the composition of the rubber in the tire. Generally the softer the rubber the shorter the life but the softer the ride with less noise.

Birchwood

We run our Firestone TransForce almost to the wear bars.Replaced them this year with new TransForce and should be good for another 5 years.One thing I have noticed over the years is RVers always have new tires.I think Rvers are paranoid about tire blowouts due to their inexperienced with hauling large loads but this is not a bad thing its just gaining experience.

porthole

Retired
2011 F-350 DRW

Fronts replaced at 46K with Firestone Transforce.

Rears have 52K and look like they will be good till the end of the year.

I work with a certified tire expert and while looking at my Goodrich tires he noticed cracking along the rim. Says they shouldn't be like that at 3 1/2 years.
So, will take a trip to the Goodrich dealer this week.

priorguy

How about all the new tired on the rear and inside rears moved to the front? That will keep the loaded tires symmetrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
How about all the new tired on the rear and inside rears moved to the front? That will keep the loaded tires symmetrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 new fronts or 4 new rears or all 6 would be best way. That the tires could be date matched at least by axle.

Jim.Allison

Buy 6 and put them on the ground, keep the spare as a spare, because it is on a steel rim. And if you do need it, you won't be using it for long before you get a new tire to put back on the ground. You will be making a mistake combining used and new tires on the same axle, if you have doubt about this you should check with the tire manufacturer for advice. It is a fact that tires used in dual wheel configurations carry a lower load rating because of engineering considerations not necessarily related to tire construction but rather configuration. It seems to me that a used tire and a new tire would necessarily confuse the problem. Belly up, you got the money get the 6 tires and have fun for the next 50k miles.

As far as tire selection is concerned, no-one knows how to make tires like American tire manufacturers. The Germans are right in there too. Buy American.

Really puzzled on this one.
I've read quite a few threads on tire replacement recommendations for your tow vehicle. The general consensus would be to go with the Michelin tires.
What I don't understand is the huge difference in tire life that is being reported. Anywhere from 30,000 to 100,000 miles have been reported.

I am running the original tires that came with my 2011 F350 dually. I just turned 52,000 miles with them and I feel that I have at least 5000 more "safe miles" with them. The front tires have been rotated with the outside rear tires one time at about 30,000.
They are BF Goodrich LT 245/75R17 M&S.
The inside rear tires (that have never been touched) still look great. I would guess they have about 20,000 miles left in them.

I'm ready to replace at least 4 tires. (2 front & 2 outside rear)
Would you suggest that I replace all 6???
How about buying 3 new Goodrich and using my spare tire for the fourth??? (spare tire has never touched the road)
Getting back to the spare tire....It's about 3 1/2 years old but has always been tucked away under the truck out of the sun. Do you see any problems with that.

Any "other" suggestions???

Thank you for any thoughts.
Dick

traveler44

We run our Firestone TransForce almost to the wear bars.Replaced them this year with new TransForce and should be good for another 5 years.One thing I have noticed over the years is RVers always have new tires.I think Rvers are paranoid about tire blowouts due to their inexperienced with hauling large loads but this is not a bad thing its just gaining experience.
It can get to be a bad thing when the blown tire tears up your truck fender and rips all of the brake wiring out from under the back of your truck. Let alone trying to find a place to coast down to that is safe and out of the way of traffic. I'll be happy not to have any more tire problems.