ATF: Gateway - Help with battery identification

jimpav

As part of a PM on my new 2014 Gateway 3200RS, (build 10/4/2013) I decided to check out the two batteries. I discovered there is painful access to get to them. Once you unscrew the four screws for the battery box, you have to disconnect the plus and minus cables in order to gain visual access to the filler caps. I completely removed one of the batteries to try to identify a rating and manufacturer. Turns out both batteries are not labeled with any mfg or rating. There is a white sticker that states:"D27DC-160". I assume this in part means it's a 160 amp hr battery??????? I would like to find out the mfg date and at least the company that made these batteries. This is important for issues after the 1 yr Heartland warranty ends.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Sounds familiar! First extended dry camping outing batteries dead in less than 36 hours only running the fridge and HW heater as needed. Finished out the balance of the trip putting a charge in batteries via truck plug. Upon removal of batteries one had NO identification labels the other just the model ie: 24xxxx. Based on size I assume the other was a 27xxx. Once back to town had them checked out the no name was shot so it was a parasite to the other. Two new batteries later spent 5 days on glacier with power to spare. I calle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I called my dealer and asked what was up with the generic batteries w/o satisfaction. Actually was told instead if dry camping I should stay in RV parks with hookups. HA! Like that's going to always happen!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimpav

Just received a pleasant surprise from Heartland factory tech. The subject batteries, at least in my unit, are from Exide. The sticker, which states " D27DC-160" translates to mean group 27 size. Take note these batteries are the "economy" model (Exides words). We have to assume the "160" is the amp hour rating. The warranty is probably only for a couple of years. THey are good for only about 12-16 hrs run time for the inverter refrigerator, assuming many other factors. I'm really happy the factory monitors this forum and at times will personally call the consumer. THis is why I stick with the Heartland brand!!!!

Jim.Allison

Speaking of batteries, the literature on my BC3650RL states 2 batts. I only got one. Did I make a mistake? Does anyone know if the 3650RL was supposed to have 2 batts? Should I complain? The dealer is a long way from here and I should have complained back when I took delivery on it.

Jim.Allison

Buy real deep cycle batts. Lead Acid Renewable Energy from Trojan, Continental, or other serious batt manufacturer. Go to Trojan to see what a real deep cycle battery looks like then start looking around, Trojans cost a little that is true, Continentals are less and the quality is there too. As far as availability is concerned, these industrial batteries are available everywhere. Look to own a set for 8 to 10 years if maintained properly.

jimpav

Since it's such a PIA to check the water level in the two batteries, it would be nice to replace them with a AGM or GEL battery set. The problem then arises if the onboard charger has the correct charging algorithm to overcharging and drying out the battery.You can't swap your flooded batteries and use the same supplied charger. I need to verify if our OEM charger is suitable or not.

Turtlpwr

Speaking of batteries, the literature on my BC3650RL states 2 batts. I only got one. Did I make a mistake? Does anyone know if the 3650RL was supposed to have 2 batts? Should I complain? The dealer is a long way from here and I should have complained back when I took delivery on it.

Hi Jim.Allison,

I see in your sig that you have the Onan generator on your BC. Typically, if you have a generator Heartland will only put 1 battery in. If you have no generator and the inverter setup running a residential refrigerator, you will get two batteries. Hope this saves you a call to Heartland. :eek:)