2007 Cyclone Fuel Pump Problem

DonChaffin

I have a 2007 Heartland Cyclone M-3975.
The Fuel Pump is a PBL Industries inc. Model: FFP12, Mfr Date 10-2005, RPM 1725.

The last time I was out camping the fuel tank was just under 1/2 tank and the fuel pump wouldn't pump gas. The trailer was a little off level to the passenger side. I leveled the trailer and it pumped gas. Prior to this trip I haven't had any problems with the fuel pump operation.

The fuel hose was cracked and seeping fuel, I bought, installed a new fuel hose, and filled the fuel tank with fresh non-ethanol gas.

After replacing the gas hose and filling the tank, the pump runs, but is not pumping fuel. I tried pouring a gallon of gas, a 1/4 gallon at a time in the fuel hose attempting to prime the fuel pump- no luck, all of the gas back flowed into the tank.

Questions?
1. Does the trailer have to be exactly level to pump fuel with a full tank of gas?
2. How do you prime the pump?
3. Any one have a diagram of the Fuel pump/Tank system to show the fuel pump pick up tube?
4 Any idea's what the problem is?

Thanks
Don

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Don,
I did a search and found this info on another site. It was posted a couple years ago but it should give you a good starting point. I hope it helps

Now to the fuel station issue...originally he took it apart and said the motor was working fine, but the the pump would not work b/c the gears had swollen. He said it needed a new pump to the tune of a/b $300...ouch!! That's when I made my original post. Thanks to Wild Bill, I was able to contact Graco. Their customer service number is 800-533-9655, option 5. The pump was originally made by PBL who has been taken over by Graco. My pump model was an FP12. Turns out that I needed the gear kit (Part number 260277) and a seal that goes around the motor shaft that drives the pump. The seal only comes in a kit, so I also had to get part number 260434. If your seal is not bad, then you may not require both kits. Here is the good part...the gear kit only costs $14 and the seal kit only costs $9. Trust me, I am not mechanically inclined, but I could repair this myself. You take 4 bolts off of the pump cover and pull out the two gears, replace a gear key or drive (pull out the old key and insert the new one from the kit), put the new seal (again, from the kit) on the pump cover and then put the 4 bolts back on again. Voila!!! A $300 pump replacement just turned into a $25 repair!! One thing you need to know...Graco only sells through local distributors so you can't buy directly from them.

1231ChaseB

Take the 2 gears out and rub the flat side of gear on fine sandpaper ! It won't hurt anything and don't cost a cent to try it ! I did mine several years ago and their still working
chaseb

DonChaffin

Thanks for the replies chaseb & NWilson for the parts to check/replace/clean, I'm going to look at on Friday when I'll have more time to actually tear it apart and work on it.

I'm still curios if the trailer has to be exactly level for the pump to pick up the fuel?

Thanks
Don

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I'm still curios if the trailer has to be exactly level for the pump to pick up the fuel?

Thanks
Don
I don't think level has much to do with it until you get to the very bottom of the tank. I've found that by raising or lowering the landing gear slightly I can get a little more fuel out (or to the generator).

DonChaffin

Ok, So I replaced the 3/8 pick up fuel line - it was dry rotted and then the fuel pump (I had one in the shed) and I removed and cleaned the check valve in the pickup tube. Didn't think to check the length compared to the depth of the fuel tank while I had it out. The new pump - pumped fuel better than the PBL FFP-12 pump did.

Again when the tank reached 1/2 tank the pump stopped pumping fuel.

This time I'm going to replace the pick tube with a longer one and try to install a larger fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump.

I called a local vendor for replacement gear kit (Part number 260277) and a seal kit, because they have a minimum order requirement, I would have to order 3 gear kits and 3 seal kits + tax = $77.00. If any one else needs these parts also - let me know.
Thanks
Don