Would auto-leveling air be a waste or a blessing? (payload rating =5,900 & tongue weight =3,000)

loudounrv

I am interested in the auto-leveling air suspension now being offered on the RAM 3500s. It automatically levels the load so the truck won’t squat and you get the benefit of the full travel distance of the suspension.
Here’s a video from RAM describing it much better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVw4OrFJmCw

So, my big question for you big 5er owners out there is this– if I someday own a 5er with a tongue weight of 3,000 and a GVWR of 16,000, would I notice much of a drop on a 3500 DRW WITHOUT this new system?

Considering the tongue weight would be half my payload rating, I’m not sure if I would need this. What do you think?

hoefler

My 2010 Ram 3500 DRW with my Landmark on its back will drop approximately 4". I will be odering a new Ram with air ride in July.

porthole

Retired
That video is really poor. No real explanation of the air ride or air assist.

Looking forward to seeing just how the air ride pans out. That and the new linked suspension.

I have the firestone hybrid air suspension in my truck and would never install it again. Not because it doesn't work, but because it does not live up to the claims and firestone support sucks.

The air does work very well for keeping my truck level, even with dropping 4000 pounds in the bed.

Chrysler offering this from the factory is a huge step forward. For one, the firestone air kit takes 2 full days of arduous installation. And then you have to deal with firestone for issues.

Both the air ride and air assist should be great options to check off on your order sheet.

taken

If my truck was ready to be replaced, Ram's air suspension would be a major deciding factor in my buying one over the other two brands. I think it's a fantastic idea that the other two brands will need to implement to keep competitive. If you are ordering a new truck, I'd certainly go for it. It will improve your loaded ride but more importantly soften your unloaded ride. Win on all fronts...