Exhaust Vent for Stove: Question

Johnnyboy

I recently purchased a 3450TS Big Country and do not know how to close the Hood exhaust vent outside door. Is the opening and closing automatic? On my former Cougar, I had to manually close the vent on the outside before traveling because it would flap in the wind. So - is the vent automatic or must I find a button to push or a lever to close? I cannot find anything in the manuals and the service dept could not answer the question. Help!

jimtoo

Hi Johnnyboy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you do not see a little tab on the lower corner to turn, then it must be one of the new ones.. I think,,,,think,, you just need to push it closed on the bottom where two latches will catch it. But maybe some of out other members with a new style will jump in soon with better information.

Enjoy the forum and make lots of great memories with your Big Country.

Jim M

Johnnyboy

Thanks Jim and Bette but this vent is way up on the outside top of the Kitchen slide. It also has a covered overhang that you can't get your fingers under even with a ladder. So unless there's something inside on the hood to open and close it, I guess it is automatic.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I know you are talking about this type of vent. There are two clips that hold the flapper closed in the travel position. Open the clips to allow the flapper to move while using the vent. Failure to close the clips to the travel position while traveling will result in losing the flapper like we did. They do not sell the flapper separate, it comes as an assembly. Replacements are available from Heartland parts. BTW our vent is hinged. Most are not.

Attachments

• vent 1.JPG
    vent 1.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 111
  • vent 3.JPG
    vent 3.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 112

navyAZ1

The new vent cover they are using is a POS. On our 3650 it is so high off the ground you can't reach it with out a ladder. Tried using a stick to unsnap the latches but no luck, and then trying to get the latches to snap shut is another pain in the butt. I wish we had the old style with the two latches that were like small turn buttons. We don't even use our hood vent any longer we just turn on the Fantastic Fan plus it's not as loud as the hood vent blower.

dbbls59

We never locked ours shut when we traveled and one day I noticed the flap was gone. I didn't worry about it. Had to replace the microwave and the new one has a internal flap so the outside one is not needed.

jimtoo

We never locked ours shut when we traveled and one day I noticed the flap was gone. I didn't worry about it. Had to replace the microwave and the new one has a internal flap so the outside one is not needed.

If you do not have the flap door, then you need to remove the cover and cover the vent hole with some screen. If you leave it parked of do not use it for anytime at all birds will build a nest inside the vent.
Ask me how I know... I looked and purchased a used unit without the flap door. I insisted they replace it and guess what they found... bird nest and when the inside filter was removed it dumped feathers, grass, leaves, and all right on the stove.

Micky-D

Hi everyone, new to the forum and new to Bighorn. Our 2016 3685 has a new style vent high on the side just outside where the microwave and range fan are located. I cannot figure out how to open it! Some posts read push the two tabs in, others say pull out. Can somebody give the definitive answer?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Push the tabs on the side up or down so they do not contact the flap. The flap is mounted on a hinge. It is recommended to lock the flap back when traveling. If you don't you could lose the flap. I know from experience.