Repairing the Wood trim around Slides

BluegrassMan

Guys:

Does anyone know how the wood trim is attached to the slides. My wifey got something between the area while towing, crunch, it tweaked the wood out a little:mad:, so now I have to fix it. Are they screwed on? Bolted on? Let me know, that is my next project:rolleyes:

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I was looking at my Cyclone at the Dealer on Saturday. (They are making a few modifications to it after the show where I purchased it.) Some of the wood trim from the dining area/sofa slide was off and laying on the table, the rest of it was loose and crooked. It was held on with small trim finish nails, shot from a nail gun. Looked like a simple fix to me. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up within a week. I am so ready to have my first RV!!

jpmorgan37

Denny;

I've had the trim off of my bedroom slide in my GC. It was nailed and glued and from looking at them all, I think that's the way all of them are. I just reglued and used 8d finishing nails to put it back, filled the hole and it's perfect again.

John

p.s. My first pop-up came from Sears. $750 and two double beds. :)

jbeletti

Denny,

On my 2005 Landmark, my Dear Wife did the same thing :) I think it was a rolled up sleeping bag stuffed next to the sofa that slipped out a bit. She pushed the entire vertical slide fascia off. Mine was nailed on with long brad nails.

I pulled them out from the back side so I would not leave holes in the front. Put the fascia back on and shot 2-1/2" brad nails into the entire length of it. Filled the holes - all was well.

The new Landmark uses a composite material for the slide fascia (top and sides). Not sure how that is fastened on. :confused:

Jim

linuxkidd

The new Landmark composites are still fastened using brad nails from a nail gun, then some filler to cover up the nail holes..

I was a little disappointed to see they were composites instead of real wood.. but I'm guessing it helps keep the finished piece straight over the years ( where real wood could warp due to the changes in moisture levels ).

LK

Dusty

Mine got a speaker that had cam adrift hung behind it and I can tell you for sure, it is brad nailed...

Dusty

BluegrassMan

Guy's:
Thanks for the replies, I have bigger fish to fry NOW.....I'll get back to the trim fix AFTER I get my truck fixed. (3000 mi on it)

I did the very thing that WE all fear, I pulled forward (inched forward) with the trailer legs up. BLAM!!!! It's a long story, so I'll spare all the details. Bent the bedrails, trashed the tailgate, $2029 for the fix. It was charged to "comprehensive" on the truck, $50 deductible. So it's not an expensive lesson. After this I'll focus on the trailer.

linuxkidd

Ouch..
Sorry to hear BGM... It may be a cheap lesson up front.. but I hope your insurance rates don't go up because of it...

Was there not any damage to the coach?

LK

BluegrassMan

Hi Linuxkidd:
Nope, not a mark on the trailer, it didn't even mark the tan bedrail covers, just dented the bedrails. The tailgate got it the worse, the pinbox has that steel angled up at the rear of the box, bowed the gate out about 4-5 inches in the middle. Every time I think about it, I just go DUH......

ChopperBill

Welcome to the club! Very first trip out I forgot to put in the Bal-Chocks. I had put my 8X8 wood blocks down with the length across the width of the trailer instead of length wise. When I un-hooked it rolled back just a smidgen but enough to roll off the blocks. luckily it just got the tail gate. O well it was time for a V gate anyway. :rolleyes:

barrielou

Is anyone aware that the wood trim in Landmarks will be replaced with a PLASTIC wood finish product now? Our NEW /07 Golden Gate has been damaged and must be replaced.

linuxkidd

barrielou: Yep, we've discussed it previously in this thread.. It's a new composite material. I'm sure that the new product looks better on paper, even after discounting the cost difference. My guess is that there is less risk of warping in the trim by using this composite vs real wood. RV's go through much more severe changes in temperature and humidity than do regular stick homes. So if any piece of wood is going to warp.. it would definitely be in this environment.

LK

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Slide Trim

I was just by the dealer's to check progress on my Cyclone. :( Stilll another week or so out! One of the trim pieces was off, it's definitely some sort of LIGHTER WEIGHT material. Looks good installed and not so heavy! I'm all about cutting back on weight where I can - I'll add plenty of weight when I load it!