Fire danger in the storage bay!

ChopperBill

Loaded up to come home from AZ and had everything packed in. Got home to unload and I thought I smelled something like it was burnt. I found this!
302371045.jpg

302371054.jpg

I apparently hit the rocker switch for the light and it was on for most of 2 days. Laying beside it was our patio mat. Burnt a hole through several layers. It could have been disastrous if it was more flammable! The batteries probably didn't like it much either as we had to run the furnace all night in a rest stop. Will remove the bulbs until I can make a more secure or remote switchs at a later date.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Bill....I feel much better now knowing I wasn't the only one that did the exact same thing and to a patio mat......Ken

DaleR

Thanks for the information. Maybe someone knows about a wire type guard we could buy or build to put around the lights?

Packer

ChopperBill

Thanks for the information. Maybe someone knows about a wire type guard we could buy or build to put around the lights?

Packer
I have been thinking about a couple of those steel half-circle brackets that are used to hold up electrical conduit. Will have to take the light off and see if there is anything that a couple of screws will interfere with.

tdharley

Home Depot has those small PVC coated wire baskets made by their closet shelving company.

I am gonna do those

timk

Move the lights up to the top of the storage area. I moved mine, cause I kept breaking them.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I think I'm just going to get some 1" x 1/8" aluminum flat bar and bend into brackets to fit around them. I figure two would be plenty and the switch and light itself would be protected......unless someone else comes up with a better mouse trap.;).....Ken

DaleR

Thanks, Truknutt, for the web site. Yes, a little pricey, but could be cheap insurance.
Hope I don't have any Gorillas in the camp site!!! Sorry couldn't pass that up.

Packer

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
The lights have to be able to breathe, I feel that this could have been caused by a number of issues. If the voltage to the light was a little too high it would cause the light to burn brighter, slightly and caused it to heat up, and with your equipment being packed onto the light it caused all of the heat to get trapped there with nowhere to go so it heated up the lens. I would check the voltage to the light to make sure it is correct, and possibly move it to an area where you will not be able to stack equipment against it.