SRW Truck

crmfghtr

Hello Everyone,
I know this has been discussed in vain on this forum, but I wanted to reach those individuals towing a Landmark Key Largo or Rushmore with a late model Ford F350 4x4 SRW or Ram 3500 4x4 SRW. I know it is more stable with DRW trucks but towing for me right now is only about 10% of the truck usage. My questions are:
1. Did you have to install air bags on the rear ?
2. I believe the landmark key largo has a 2650 hitch weight, has that been an issue ?
3. Both trucks are rated to tow max 16000 pounds. Has anyone gone beyond the landmark weigh limit ?

I sold the DRW 2012 Ram Laramie, the bride kept adding dings to the rear fenders faster than I could fix them. Go figure back-up camera and rear park sensors didn't help. She also complained that she felt like she was scared driving it.
Regards,

MTPockets

It's my opinion that you will be beyond the payload limit with a SRW. Many do it, but it is what it is.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
My BC with half tank water and 1/4 full black tank came in at 15050 and my pin weight was 3375 so I would say that pin weight is way off as far as a loaded weight.

This is from my weight ticket at national rally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Until 2 weeks ago we were towing a 2011 Rushmore with a 2011 GMC 3500 4x4 SRW, CC Longbox. A year ago the trailer weighed 16,150 and the pinbox weighed 3700.

The 2011 GMC payload is 4150. The tow rating is around 17,000 for our configuration. Given that the payload has to accommodate hitch weight, bed liner, bed cover, tools, passengers, etc. we were a bit over payload spec. We were also a bit over the rear tire spec because when the tires were replaced 2 years ago I didn't realize that the tire dealer subbed a lower capacity tire within the same load range.

We were traveling a little heavier than normal because of stuff we were carrying for the Goshen rally and for our trip to Colorado after the rally.

No airbags were needed. The GMC handled the weight without squatting and the trailer rode nose level. Handling was fine.

Today we traded the GMC for a RAM 3500 DRW. We originally went with the GMC SRW because of a driveway limitation. Since we no longer have that constraint, the new truck is a dually.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
My BC with half tank water and 1/4 full black tank came in at 15050 and my pin weight was 3375 so I would say that pin weight is way off as far as a loaded weight.

This is from my weight ticket at national rally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. What's the dry weight rating?

jassson007

I will have to look but we were 50 pounds over due to the water we carried but I wanted to be sure as we live full time in ours and we boondock/tailgate 7-8 times a year for football and carry almost a full tank of water so wanted to see where we would be when we make those trips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crmfghtr

Never owned a ford and I have always owned a Ram truck. How do you like the ford? I did some research at carcomplaints.com for current model issues and found the ford for 2014-2015 have zero issues reported to NHTSA. Ram has 8 engine and transmission issues. If I'm going to shell out 60k on a tow rig as other here, I don't want problems. (By the way these are documented problems with NHTSA)

jassson007

Never owned a ford and I have always owned a Ram truck. How do you like the ford? I did some research at carcomplaints.com for current model issues and found the ford for 2014-2015 have zero issues reported to NHTSA. Ram has 8 engine and transmission issues. If I'm going to shell out 60k on a tow rig as other here, I don't want problems. (By the way these are documented problems with NHTSA)

Can't speak for OP but we have had 0 issues but we also only have 6500 miles on ours and half of that is to Urbanna Va and back to SWLA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

The one ton will carry the load, especially if you spend 30 minutes installing a set of Air-Lift loadLifter 5000 Ultimate Air Spring with internal jounce (see below), or a set of overload springs. You can also go to a spring shop and have a set made. there are simple and effective solutions to bring a 3500 or 350 into being able to support the load without squatting if it squats.

But here comes the things that you can't change and have to live with,

1) the drive line, you have to pay close attention to the towing capacity.

2) the SRW tires are limited to 6400 lbs at 80 PSI (3200 each) on the 17 inch wheels, your axle is already carrying about 2400 lbs before you start carrying a passenger and a driver. So you can see that the load gets large quickly.

BUT not all is lost, google search "Rickson Wheels" and you will find custom 19.5 inch wheels that will allow you to increase your load to your wildest dreams, they make your truck look good, and your tires will last forever.

3) If you are going to do this suggest that you install disc brakes on your rig if not already equipped, for obvious reasons.

But really, maybe you should get a smaller rig. My Big country is one **** of a rig and I tow it with a 2500, a 3500 would be very nice but I did not do the math before I bought so my truck is a tad light on the pin box ergo the airbags.

Answer; TIRES are limiting factor.

Hello Everyone,
I know this has been discussed in vain on this forum, but I wanted to reach those individuals towing a Landmark Key Largo or Rushmore with a late model Ford F350 4x4 SRW or Ram 3500 4x4 SRW. I know it is more stable with DRW trucks but towing for me right now is only about 10% of the truck usage. My questions are:
1. Did you have to install air bags on the rear ?
2. I believe the landmark key largo has a 2650 hitch weight, has that been an issue ?
3. Both trucks are rated to tow max 16000 pounds. Has anyone gone beyond the landmark weigh limit ?

You could have kept the truck and performed a DRW to SRW conversion with Rickson Wheels. You would have had EXACTLY what you need. Wait I forgot we can't remove the fenders anymore can we?

One more thing, go to Ram and select "Build" and work on the truck you want, download the specs and you will have all your answers. Good Luck

I sold the DRW 2012 Ram Laramie, the bride kept adding dings to the rear fenders faster than I could fix them. Go figure back-up camera and rear park sensors didn't help. She also complained that she felt like she was scared driving it.
Regards,

caissiel

I have a F250 with 2 additional spring ply on each side.
one long one for stability and one short one for smother ride.
The rear drops 2in with BC in tow. We full time, and travel with full tank of water and storage loaded.
Also have 2 inbox tool boxes and 22 gallon extra fuel tank.
The 275-70-18 tires load 126 has 3500lbs (7000lbs rear axle)capacity for a safe ride.
But my original LG 123 with 6200lbs capacity did very well for 6 years.
So my take is reinforce the springs and stock 18 inch tires will do well.
If riding on the overload the ride is harsh and the truck drops to far for comfort.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I used to tow our 2007 Landmark with our SRW F350 1999 Ford. The 2007 Landmark weighed out at 16600 and the pin weight was 4250. Don't pay attention what the manufacturer says the pin weight is cause the real one is much higher.

crmfghtr

I used to tow our 2007 Landmark with our SRW F350 1999 Ford. The 2007 Landmark weighed out at 16600 and the pin weight was 4250. Don't pay attention what the manufacturer says the pin weight is cause the real one is much higher.

All I have to go on is the manufacturer plate which states 2650 hitch an 12625 (dry) and 16250 max (GVWR). I also understand the hitch weight can vary based on cargo, liquids, etc. The hitch weight is what concerns me the most. Ford has payload of 3950 and Ram varies from 3900 o 4400. I know either truck can pull and stop the landmark. I just wanted to get feed back from actual use.

MTPockets

All I have to go on is the manufacturer plate which states 2650 hitch an 12625 (dry) and 16250 max (GVWR). I also understand the hitch weight can vary based on cargo, liquids, etc. The hitch weight is what concerns me the most. Ford has payload of 3950 and Ram varies from 3900 o 4400. I know either truck can pull and stop the landmark. I just wanted to get feed back from actual use.
Where do you get the payload number? From the truck door post sticker? Or spec sheet? If spec sheet, that number is before any options which can lower the payload by several hundred lbs.

crmfghtr

16250 is from the plate on the landmark the other figures are from the spec sheets on the unit and from the ford and Ram tow guide.

azbigfoot

I drive with a 2013 Rushmore (dual pane windows/washer/dryer/lots of gear for full timing) and 2013 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with factory towing prep. I weighed at CAT scales and was under the GCVW but over on the pinweight by about 400 pounds. I have a heavy hitch (Superglide ISR 2900). Right now I am moving tubs (~125 lbs) from the basement into the 5th wheel when we travel to balance the weight better. Still over but not as much.

I will be dumping some other gear this month to shed some weight. I also might look at the Reese goosebox which I have heard is an acceptable pinbox for Lippert now. That would allow me to lose both the hitch and the reese picture frame (60 pds or so).

In hindsight I would probably just buy DRW to save me hassles of moving stuff around and worrying so much about payload weight. I've weighed three times in three months.

azbigfoot

Also, even though I am overweight on the pin the 3500 does not squat at all. trailer is level and nose is NOT up on the truck. It tows just fine. I have no airbags or extra springs either.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
keep in mind that putting air bags on the truck will only allow you to level the truck it will not increase the load carrying capacity.