Generator: Regular or Inverter?

wyndysweep

I know Honda & Yamaha are the best, but need something a little cheaper. I am looking at the Champion 3500/4000 and also the Champion 3100 Inverter. Will the cheaper one be good while at Walmart, etc. or do you recommend the inverter. Thanks in advance for your recommendations and comments.

dbbls59

An inverter generator will be quitter. Even if you only use it at Wal Mart campgrounds you will want a quit one, the noise will disturb you too. There are times I even think my Honda is noisy.

Grey Ghost

I have two Champion 2000 Inverters which can be rigged together and I just love them. Very quit to say the least, plus very gas efficient too! I paid $300.00 each for them on E-bay about one year ago or so and well worth the money I must say! With the two tied together I can run my air if needed, just cannot run the curling iron and hair dryer at the same time :confused:

wdk450

The comparison charts show inverter generators to be the most fuel efficient, and lowest noise. Also, they should be much easier on your sensitive electronics as they maintain a precise 60 hertz generated power frequency, due to the fact that the generators directly make D.C. power, which is input into an inverter power electronic circuit, and this electronic circuit makes the A.C. power waveform. Conventional alternator generators depend on motor speed for the frequency of the output power, and sudden increases in electrical load can slow down the motor until the auto throttle gets it back to the correct speed. This causes the 60 hertz output power to be lower in frequency.