New 3400RE and looking for information..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hello to all you crazy RVers..
I just purchased a new 2008 3400RE and will be picking it up this Wednesday. I have been reading the threads and like others I was originally looking at a different unit. DW & I were looking at the 3670 for a long time. A friend took us down to ExploreUSA and looked at the 3670 and a few others. Asked the dealer if he had any others just to see what was available. Had no plans to buy one.

Walked into the 3400RE and just sat down on the couch and felt at home. So did the DW. Had a fireplace installed and a low profile bedroom AC installed. Mainly live in the Texas area so AC is important. Use to live in Wyo and know how warmth is necessary.

I am interested in your experiences with your Bighorn. We have been fulltime since Oct. 8th and are getting ready to take a long trip up the east coast and down the west, for about the rest of our lives. We hope.

Let me know some of the modifications you have made. Good experiences and not so good experiences..

While reading this forum I ran across the thread that explained the VIN # and what the numbers mean. One question I have is if the 6, 7 & 8th position numbers indicate the length and # of axles, what do mine represent. My VIN for 6 7 & 8 are 342. That would be 34 ft long and 2 axles. The heartland web specs show that the 3400RE is 36'-9". Where did it pickup the extra length.
This is the thread.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1115&highlight=VIN

I think the tires are Mission.. Has anyone had any problem with Mission tires?

I am going to attend the Rally @ Houston in April. Hope to meet many of you there.

Travel safe and God Bless
BC

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
hi tx,
I just bought a 2009 bighorn 3400RE and am picking it up in one week. fyi, they are discounting the 2008 big time as they stopped making them at the end of oct 2007. there are many improvements in the 2009 and we got almost all the options incl a fireplace, A/C, TV in bdroom, rain sensor vent in bdrm, aluminum rims, gel coat, central vaccuum and major genny prep. If you are paying more than (**discuss unit pricing via PMs**) go to lakeshore rv in michigan, rvs for less in tennesse, or rv busters and u will get an awesome deal. I havent looked at my vin #, so i cant help u there. PM me and leave me your telephone number if you have any questions. I would love to assist u as i did a ton of research before hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Hi Bob,

I have an answer for you on where you picked up the extra length in your 3400 RE. On your model, the 34 in 3400 comes from the interior length. So the extra length is the rear cap and the front cap or hitch, whichever you measure too.

Check it out. Pull a tape from the back wall of the coach above the entertainment cabinet I guess, to the front wall inside of the bedroom closet. I am assuming it will be in the 34 feet area (give or take a half foot).

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The interior length of our 3400RL is 36' 11" from inside the back wall to the inside wall of the shelves in the front of the closet. Either that or my eyes went goofy when reading the tape, twice. I don't have my 100' tape with us but just for kicks I should check it again. OK I just double checked and it's 36' 10".:eek: