Dry Vehicle Weight of Gateway 3200RS

I read on another form that the dry weight listed by the manufacturer really means nothing. That is probably what the weight of the unit BEFORE any options. A fridge, an ac, wh, slide, several slides, are all options. Even the awning.
Some posters stated some manufacturers list weight of bare bones RV without options, fluids, batteries, etc. Some manufacturers define dry weight with standard add ons.
Some posters said their units came with a sticker on the door which gave the weight after production with all options and accessories installed by the manufacturer, which is a handy number to have. Some brands actually weigh each unit when it finishes production and place a sticker inside the unit. Example: 12244 lbs, weighed by J.C. on scale # CR5.

I asked if dealers would taking a unit to a scale and weigh it before purchase and I got the response " I doubt if many would do that for you." BUYER BEWARE. Especially if you are tip-toeing along a limit close to your tow vehicle's capacities.

Does anyone know if Heartland's "dry weight" listed is before options/add-ons or after options/add-ons?If before options/add-ons, does Heartland provide an accurate dry weight (reflecting all the options/ad-ons) on a sticker on the Gateway 3200RS?

We are close to our weight restriction with our tow vehicle so this is a important number to know. How would one find out what actual dry weight of the Gateway 3200RS we want to buy located on the dealers lot? I have sent email to salesman at dealer and an email to Heartland with VIN number.

Has anyone bought a Gateway 3200 RS with king bed, flat counter, residential size fridge and know what the approximate dry weight was when you purchased it? Thanks

danemayer

Hi txdianimal,

Heartland weighs each unit as it goes out the door and places a sticker showing that weight, usually on the inside of the main entry door frame. If the dealer adds anything, that's not included.

Dry weight is typically way less than actual shipped weight. While I can't speak to Heartland's exact methodology, I think it might be the dry weight of the prototype of each unit, before options. In Heartland's case, some options are "forced options" which are included on every unit shipped. I think they do the "forced options" so they can enter into a re-badging agreement where another company puts their name on a Heartland trailer and customizes it so it's similar, but unique to that company.

When you visit the Heartland website and look at what's standard and what optional, you'll usually see one air conditioner and a refrigerator included in the standard equipment. I think those are in the dry weight spec.

On larger trailers the actual weight may be around 1000 lbs higher than the dry weight spec.

But let me suggest that you're focusing on the wrong numbers. In matching truck to trailer, you should be looking at GVWR, which is the maximum weight of the loaded trailer. Your truck needs to be able to pull that weight. You should also be looking at pinbox weight vs payload of the truck. It's usually a good idea to plan on the pinbox weight running around 20% of GVWR.

Most people bust through the payload spec before going over towing capacity.

jimpav

We had our 3200RS weighed right before we left the Urbanna rally. This might not be indicative of your 3200, but should be close. It was weighed with no water in the H2o heater, 1/3 fresh water, Res. refer, two batteries, and personal stuff for two adults, including food for 1 week.
13,650 lbs. It is interesting to note that most of the weight was on the street side slide due to all the appliances, TV fireplace stove, etc on that side. 2900 lbs front rear tire and 3000lbs rear tire (street side) and 2250 front rear and 2300 rear (curb side) Pin weight worked out to 3,200lbs ( 23% distribution). Not too much margin. Hope this helps.

Rockin_Dollar_B

New Mexico Chapter Leaders-retired
We just got our 2015 Gateway 3200rs and the out-the-gate as configured dry weight listed by Heartland is 11,400. With my 2009 Dodge Quad Cab 2500, 6.7l diesel, seems to pull and stop nicely. Our first outing was Palo Duro Canyon, TX, and if you know the canyon, you know that's a steep grade to pull. The old Dodge didn't even grunt!

jimpav

We just got our 2015 Gateway 3200rs and the out-the-gate as configured dry weight listed by Heartland is 11,400. With my 2009 Dodge Quad Cab 2500, 6.7l diesel, seems to pull and stop nicely. Our first outing was Palo Duro Canyon, TX, and if you know the canyon, you know that's a steep grade to pull. The old Dodge didn't even grunt!
The big question is, which tires are on it???? Hope it's not the Towmax like was on mine..........

1tandem

I believe that steep grade is known as Ranger Hill. Recently pulled our 3200 up that hill with my 2500 Silverado with Detroit/Allison, was pleasantly surprised how well truck handled the load. The Gateway tracked perfectly for 1400 miles, even on narrow roads with no shoulder.

Birchwood

I agree with Dan buy your tow vehicle to handle the GVWR of your trailer.
If you don't you will go crazy watching everything you throw into your truck and trailer.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I believe that steep grade is known as Ranger Hill. Recently pulled our 3200 up that hill with my 2500 Silverado with Detroit/Allison, was pleasantly surprised how well truck handled the load. The Gateway tracked perfectly for 1400 miles, even on narrow roads with no shoulder.

Not sure about Palo Duro Canyon's steep grade (btdt) but "Ranger Hill" typically refers to the grade on I-20 just east of Ranger, TX. It has a 6% grade.

http://wikimapia.org/143346/Ranger-Hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk