Furnace Problem

Kashman

Mark Lawrence
Just picked up our 3670RL in November. Did a two night trial near the dealer. We started having problems with the propane system. We found an apparent leak at the tanks. The came out on that Sunday replaced the regulator and the tank. Things seemed to be working ok. When we got back home I could not get the furnace or stove to light. After checking the tanks, I found one empty. They were full when we parked it. However even with regulator switched over to the full tank, I still can't get them to light. The indicator on the regulator shows half red, half green. Has anyone had the same problem or have any ideas?:confused:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well I'll give this a shot. I too had some problems early on with our propane tanks. It seems that when they went to fill them, they neglected to properly purge the tanks before filling them with propane. May want to ask that question.

Mark

ChopperBill

After ours sits in storage for a period of time with the tanks off sometimes the fridge gets a little finicky to light. If I turn a burner on the stove for a while it seems to start working OK. Guess it gets the propane moving along.

vangoes

Kashman,
I had some issues with my propane that seems to mimick yours. I found a cracked brass nipple where the flexible hose joins the galvanized propane pipes so check these if you are still having leak issues.....you should be able to smell the propane around this area. As far as the half red/half green regulator guage.....I had that once in freezing temperatures and the regulator seemed to have frozen up because of moisture in the tanks (not purged properly). Had to take a hair dryer to the regulator. If you have not had the system is use for a while (in storage) open the propane tank and then turn on a burner on the stove and hold a lighter over it until it lights before you try lighting off the refrig or the furnace. This will get the air out of the lines and the refrig/furnace will light.

pickuphunt

Two years ago when we got our 3670 (traded 2 months ago for a new 3600) our furnace would ignite briefly and then quit (only3-4 seconds) We found the problem with the propane tank valve. I was used to just spinning the valve handle on the tank in the old style tank. I found that I had to close the valve, take the hose off the tank to relief the pressure, reconnect the hose and then open the valve S L O W L Y. It seemed that opening the valve too quickly didn't allow the internal valve to fully release. From now on, I slowly open the valves. Haven't had a problem with our 3600.

Kashman

Mark Lawrence
Thanks to all for the advice. Tried all of the ideas posted to no avail. However I did swap the tanks around and got a very small flow of propane flowing, enough to lite the stove, but it wouldn't come up to a full flame. I never did get the furnace to light. I'm sttarting to think the regulator might be bad. Hopefully Butch from RV's for Less gets back to me soon.....

cjbearden

Visitor
We initially had a bad regulator on our propane tanks. Dealer replaced and never even wrote up an order on it so not aware if HL ever heard about it. Then on a trip to CA, learned that tanks had not been properly purged initially so getting a lot of false readings and igniting problems. Once both tanks were purged and properly filled, no subsequent problems. Hope this helps.