Do you Roomba?

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
When we first looked at our rig, the dealer said it had a built in vacuum but he was wrong, lol. We arranged to have one installed before we left Utah but they ordered or received the wrong one that wasn't suitable. Right now, we have a stand up vacuum parked behind one of the dining room chairs, not the best situation. With all that being said, does anyone have any experience with the Roomba? My initial thoughts are its small and wouldn't take up the space of a conventional vacuum but would really like to know if they take the place of one as far as cleaning power,,, all comments Greatly appreciated,,, Elizabeth

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Liz, dont know about a Roomba, Patty is teaching me to polka though. We had a Dirt Devil that worked pretty well in our other coach. It was a smaller up right. Bob

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
:(We bought a Dyson (DC14 Animal) not long before we decided to go full time and sell the house. No way were we going to give up the Dyson.We keep it parked up in the closet left side behind the hanging stuff. Heavy and big but man does it suck!:D I don't know how good the Roomba works but it's a pretty cool concept. I think if I were buying to replace or for the first time I would seriously consider the Oreck.

Last edited:

caokgafamily

Liz, we have the built in vac installed in our 3400. I'm not really impressed with it. It works great for the vinyl and stairs. But I don't think it does a good job on the carpet. I think the regular vacs that have a belt driven brush do a better job. I had an extra " wind tunnel kenmore" that I kept in the garage for the cars etc. I use it in the camper now, and keep it in the bedroom front closet. I would not buy a central vac or have one installed. Go spend a couple of hundred dollars on a good regular house vac.

Bob&Patty

Ray, is "suck" a good or bad one? BTW, Liz, What music do you play to do the ROOMBA? Bob

Bob&Patty

On top of my game today. Too much time on my hands:eek:. Some stuff is just too good to pass up. Just a carry over from harrassing Chopper Bill about his POO cart. Bob

linuxkidd

I agree with Ray above... The Dyson units are FAR superior to the built in vac.

Our Landmark has a Central vac, but since it doesn't have a powered beater bar in the head, it really doesn't work well for the carpet. Especially since we have dogs.

Pick up a Dyson DC18 Slim instead of a central vac. Nice and small, but VERY powerful. ( Our Dyson is from before our Full Time switch and is the Animal.. )

Also, they do make power heads for the Central Vac, but the ones I saw were $300 or more. For that cost, the Dyson is just a little bit more, and a better system all around.

One thing I'd *love* to do is convert the Dyson canister vac so that I can use it as a Central Vac! Oh the ideas, they keep a flow'n..

LK

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Michael know what ya mean about the dog hair. We have the Eureka central vac and really pleased so far. I ordered a couple sizes of those air powered heads from the internet and they do real well and are easy to take a part and clean out.....ken

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
Ok, so I titled my thread that for the funny responses and I got them, lol... Linux, Im looking at the Dyson slimline now. My DH is not thanking you, lolol. It has some really good reviews though, thanks for the heads up,,, Lizzy

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I definitely agree with the Dyson Animal. Brought it from home when we went fulltime...nothing works better, especially if you have pets.

The only thing I've found the central vac to be good for is an "automatic dustpan". Like the lift up feature on the hookup...when the kitchen needs a quick sweep, I just sweep to the vac, lift the lid, and it all disappears. Other than that I find it to be pretty useless.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
We don't Roomba either. We also have the central vac, which I wouldn't have gotten if we had ordered our Landmark. It fulfilled all of my low expectations and I gave up on it after about 6-8 uses. We had a fairly new Dyson in the house also (not the Slim) and I tried bringing it in the trailer, but found it to be too large for convenient storage, as well as the head size was a bit too large to get into the tight spaces in here. I settled on a Hoover Nano light (Wal-Mart) and have been very please with it. It's bagless, has a powered beater bar, smaller head, and collapsible handle so that it fits nicely in the closet.

Sheri

linuxkidd

Like Goldenwingers stated, the regular sized dysons are a bit wide for some areas.. Specifically in my coach, I can't get it down between the bed and the closet.

I think however that the Dyson slim would be better. You may want to measure the smaller spaces width and go down to Best Buy / Lowes to look at the Slim up close. They have them in stock. :) While you're there, check out their answer to the handheld quick vac... it's so darn cute!

LK

Hunter11

We have a Roomba for the house. We have wood and tile floors and it does a really good job of getting up under furniture and you just let it go and when it needs to recharge it goes back to the charger. We have tried it in or trailer and it does not work well on carpet.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
My 2 cents worth. We've had the built in Dirt-Devil in another unit and didn't think it was very good. I did like the power dust pan on the side, but we simply use an Oreck. They're lightweight and we stow ours in the basement. It's a better vacuum for sand and corners.

madigand

Another vote for the Hoover nano lite. We had the wind tunnel and was too big to get between the bed and closet. Really like the nano lite vac and it seems to suck as hard as the wind tunnel