Fuel Filter replacement on Onan 5500 Gen

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Ok - so I've decided to do some long over due maintenance on my rarely used Generator. So tracking down filters and such via this forum and on the internet ... I'm getting there. Now I reviewed the docs that I have found and it shows one of two fuel filters ( my unit does not have the two filters as the second was bypassed at the factory ) so I decided I will go out and crawl under and locate the filter on my unit for a visual verification before I order...

Always a good thing. This is what I found when I looked ...

Gen-Fuel-filter.jpg

the new replacement filter ( the correct image this time )

onan-fuel-filter.jpg

with no play in the Fuel Line how does one go about reconnecting the new filter?
One thing that does not show up here is they used a hose clamp not a spring clamp that I would expect for a gas line

part will be ordered now that I know which one it is - but it will be fun to get it replaced - any trick to getting this done - or do I just need to find a teenager with small hands to do it for me... cause I don;t think my bear claws are going to fit up there...

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you take out the bolt on the left will it loosen the assembly behind it enough to get your fingers in there better?

porthole

Retired
Makes you wonder Kevin - why did the manufacturers not cut the plate out just a little tiny bit more.

Loosen the clamp, unscrew the filter, then just pull it out of the hose. I use a small needle nose pair of vice grips to squeeze the line a bit (not too much) to stop from siphoning of the tank (on the outside of the gen box). If it is hot out, open the tank cap and close, relieve any pressure in the tank.

An angle head wrench helps. But channel locks work just as well.

Working from memory here, I think the clamp is a 9/32. I use 1/4" drive and a universal.

I just changed my filter while at Dover. I think the next time I do it at home I just might get the sawzall out :rolleyes:

porthole

Retired
but it will be fun to get it replaced - any trick to getting this done - or do I just need to find a teenager with small hands to do it for me... cause I don;t think my bear claws are going to fit up there...

You could wait two weeks - might be able to find someone to help :p

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Duane,

Funny you should say that, I may not get to the fuel filter before the rally. the Oil change and oil filter and air filter, and even the sparc plugs ( if I can figure out how to get a plug socket back there ) will get done

I just took on a project to build 100 additional bike racks for the PMC event, and due to my camping and family schedule I will need to get those done in the next 7 days because my camping starts on 7/11 though 7/21 and then I have family coming to down to say with me for a week.

So priorities ... the fuel filter may not get done.

porthole

Retired
Takes longer to unpack the air filter then to change it. I have plugs, haven't even looked to see what is needed to change them.
I do the oil at the end of the season.

Last edited: