CY 4200 - Getting closer to Perfect!

Eurastar

I've been eyeballing the 4200 and really impressed with the floor plan; it has all my major requirements. But, I see some "minor" things I don't like that I've experienced in my previous RVs, and hoped to get away from with my next rig. Why did Heartland use the rain catcher type awnings on the right side of this RV? I understand the angle is somewhat adjustable, but with no slide out to clear, awnings that have a decent slant to let the rain run off with ease would make sense. Is headroom on the side patio the issue? Also, does it make any real sense to put awnings over almost the entire right side, and leave the main entry doorway without cover? Really?
I would personally prefer no gas oven and use a convection microwave instead. Can use the extra storage space the oven takes up.
How about an induction cooktop option? Or at least a cover of the gas cooktop flush with the counter top, so portable induction cooktop could be placed over it? Counter space issue.
The 4200 I viewed at a dealership had dump valves that appeared identical (Black/Gray). It would be so simple to make the black dump valve handle Black, and the other one Gray (or white, or red, anything but black! So minor, yet y'all didn't do it, and it appeared they were not labeled either. At the 4200's price level, the tanks should be able to dump themselves - almost. Maybe all Heartland RVs have his easily fixable flaw. Weird! While I'm on tanks, one more gripe that both my previous RVs had, and I hear almost everyone RV does, the tanks needs a sharp mind to come up with a better concept for the level sensors. I've always had black tanks that constantly gives incorrect level readings. Electronic sensors don't seem to work very well with black tanks. Hoping someone will figure out a better way someday.
As a single full-timer, I would've preferred a queen, or even smaller bed to allow a little more room around the bed in the Master. I was unable to stand normally between the bed and closet, they are too close. Would also be helpful if all the major beds were the same size to cut down on extra sets of bedding. Queen in the garage, so put a queen in the bedroom too!
I didn't see an area where the Satellite TV connection comes in, where the DVR would fit. What's up with that? There is no space big enough for a DVR between the LR TV and the fireplace. Space in between is just too small for normal TV connected boxes. Even the Xbox wouldn't fit there.
A major complaint, which applies to most 5th wheel trailers, not just Heartland's, is the Power Cord connection. In my last 5th wheel, I was always concerned about how the sidewall of the RV started to slightly bend outward at the top of the Connection with the weight of the power cord constantly pulling down on it. It would be so simple to hardwire the power cord inside the rig and provide a cord storage area, or better yet a powered roll up cord reel. Something in the 4200's price range should have that convenience. Just thoughts based on my experience of previously owned RVs. Looking for one that is just right to be my 3rd and final RV.

John287

We just got back from our second trip in the 4200. there is no headroom issue with patio and I am 6'2". We also just had all the rain 2+inches from the last storm and no issues with the awnings. I do agree that the main door should be covered by the awning. We just use the back door. Our dump tanks were marked on the door that opens for them. Do not buy this camper if you want to stay unnoticed. We are constantly having people cruse by on golf carts or walking just to check it out. We just had a family come over from the other side of the campground in their truck to check it out because they have heard about it. They have 4 boys and need the space. Overall great camper. Keep in mind there are always compromises to be made but this has the least amount.

BLHFUN

Agreed on the golf carts and.... "Can we take a look?" Heck yeah, come on up! I think I sold at least 4 units on the last 10 day trip. She's a looker for sure! We love ours, even with the small problems we have encountered.

scottyb

Eurastar, your wish for a smaller bed is just beyond me. In 2012, we purchased the 4100 KING, because ................. it was the only toy hauler on the market with a King bed at the time.

Some friends of ours visited us last year in Lake Havasu and saw our 4100, patio, and our dogs enjoying it. They are now the proud owners of a 4200. Everybody is in awe of their rig and they too have many visitors.

John287

Agreed on the golf carts and.... "Can we take a look?" Heck yeah, come on up! I think I sold at least 4 units on the last 10 day trip. She's a looker for sure! We love ours, even with the small problems we have encountered.

The only time I told someone no was either we were on our way out for the day or getting loaded up to leave. We love ours also. What issues have you had we have had few small ones also.

BLHFUN

The only time I told someone no was either we were on our way out for the day or getting loaded up to leave. We love ours also. What issues have you had we have had few small ones also.

The small issues are the inverter was not strong enough to support the fridge (known issue) the middle recliner switch will not retract the recliner once it's extended. That one took about an hour to disassemble the motor so I could manually close it. Couldn't put the slide in once it's extended. Stripped out door hinges, water leak in the bathroom and the legs were two inches too short on the couches in the garage. The typical stuff we all complain about with quality control.

Not happy with the service company at all. Reliable imports and RV's in Springfield Missouri. Worst service ever! However, Scott at Heartland has been awesome! Finally someone that knows how to return phone calls. He is handling a few issue the reliable just can't seem to understand.

This is is our second new purchase. When I tell you "small issues"... These are Small issues! The above is a drop in the bucket from our last lemon that cost almost 3 times what my Cyclone cost. We are happy!

scottyb

tripped out door hinges, water leak in the bathroom and the legs were two inches too short on the couches in the garage
Seriously, I thought that was a 2013 problem and I was not the only one back then. After 6 mo of trying to get the correct ones from the dealer, I finally contacted HL and they shipped them directly to my office.

Cmon and share what the lemon was.

BLHFUN

Cmon and share what the lemon was.

LOL! It was a Fleetwood Discovery. Worst purchase ever! Live and learn I guess. I raced motorcycles and used it almost every weekend. It was a running joke to pick up the RV on Friday and booked it Back on Monday for service. Every weekend without fail, something went wrong!

John287

The small issues are the inverter was not strong enough to support the fridge (known issue) the middle recliner switch will not retract the recliner once it's extended. That one took about an hour to disassemble the motor so I could manually close it. Couldn't put the slide in once it's extended. Stripped out door hinges, water leak in the bathroom and the legs were two inches too short on the couches in the garage. The typical stuff we all complain about with quality control.

Not happy with the service company at all. Reliable imports and RV's in Springfield Missouri. Worst service ever! However, Scott at Heartland has been awesome! Finally someone that knows how to return phone calls. He is handling a few issue the reliable just can't seem to understand.

This is is our second new purchase. When I tell you "small issues"... These are Small issues! The above is a drop in the bucket from our last lemon that cost almost 3 times what my Cyclone cost. We are happy!

We have had a few small issues up until this last trip broken vent fan,screws canvas sections for the back deck and one aluminum backing block to secure the back patio rails. However this last trip the side deck got rained on and water got under the black deck surface and ran down the seams. This lifted what looked like two black snakes under the black surface. I just got the phone with Lipert who makes the deck and they are replacing the deck. Steve our contact at Heartland is great and they have never given us any push back on our issues. I knew buying a new model that there would be issues so if anyone is looking at one of these units go ahead and order it as long as you don't mind being the center of attention at the campground. One last tip. Check your keys to make sure they all work in the doors before you leave the lot. Our dealer never used our keys and always used their universal keys. When we got to the campground our keys did not work the main door. I forgot to lock the sliding glass door and that is how I got in. Lowered the side deck and went through the sliding glass door. Still waiting for the new lock to show up with keys that work.