Hitch weight from generator

This is my first post, I have been "lurking" here getting ideas from experienced owners, as I have narrowed my choice of a 5th wheel to Heartland. This is a great Forum for information and there is very little flaming that goes on!
I am looking to buy a 2009 3400 RL, and the listed hitch weight is either 1940#'s or 2180#'s depending on which part of the Heartland site you look at. The generators I am considering, are the Onan RV QG 5500 LP, or the RV QG 2500 LP (both LP gas powered)the listed dry weights of these are 290#'s, and 113#'s <!--StartFragment -->respectively We will probably get the 3400 RL with both air conditioners, but would only run one while dry camping. So multi-part question:

Anyone with experiences with generators on Heartlands, and recomendations?

How much of the added weight that far ahead of the axles would transfer to the hitch weight?

Do people add another tank for the generator, and if so where at?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Check it out 1st

Dottie and Frank, I have heard pros and cons on LP generators. They use a lot of propane. I would suggest that you get a gas powered one instead. I think right now gas is cheaper than propane and the gas ones seem to run longer on the same amount of fuel. As far as weight, anything you add forward of the axles will increase the pin weight. It may not increase the weight by the whole weight of the generator. Its called leverage or angles of the dangles. Bob :D:D:eek:

Last edited: