Looking for advice/assistance on misc issues after a long trip in a 2013 37 ultimate

JeromyS

We just took a 2 week trip from Seattle WA to San Diego CA and back (3200 miles round trip). Everything was going great for the first part of our trip except some odd issues with the molding which is covering the screws. There was a small bulge which allowed air to get inside the covering and blew it out of the channel. This ended up beating the side of the coach. I ended up duct taking it up so it wouldn't blow off for the rest of our trip. It exposed a screw which is not fully seated which caused the bulge. The second issue we had was a broken flashing brace under the off-door side wheel well. It looks like a simple screw head broke off. Both of these are easy fixes. The largest issue that we hit was on the rear off-door bunk slide. It developed a crack on the rear upper corner and what appears to be a delamination on the forward upper corner.

Sadly we're beyond our 1 year factory warrantee and it looks like I'll need to foot the bill to fix this. Even my extended warrantee does not cover anything but mechanical issues. This happened on our return trip home driving north on I5. We didn't hit anything or do anything drastic or crazy. All other slides are fine. Has anyone seen this type of damage before? We love our Elkridge and are wondering what we could have possibly done to cause this damage during travel.

Thanks for any advice/assistance
Jeromy & Family

Attachments

• WP_20140703_003.jpg
    WP_20140703_003.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 173
  • WP_20140703_002.jpg
    WP_20140703_002.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 177
  • WP_20140703_010.jpg
    WP_20140703_010.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 170
  • WP_20140703_005.jpg
    WP_20140703_005.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 164
  • WP_20140703_008.jpg
    WP_20140703_008.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 160
  • WP_20140703_006.jpg
    WP_20140703_006.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 159

jnbhobe

I would call Heartland and ask what caused this, have pictures ready along with your serial number.

johnpsz

That almost looks like there might have been to much weight in the slide, but with that being a bunk it would have to be a heavy person jumping on the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

X2 on calling Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

After discussing possible causes and an approach to fix it, you should ask whether Heartland is willing to help with the repair even though out of warranty.

JeromyS

Thanks everyone. I'll give them a call in on Monday. They are EST and I'm PST so I missed them yesterday (today being the 4th Happy 4th of July BTW) they are closed. This happened while traveling down the freeway with the slide completely closed. No one jumping around or anything and no more weight than a few sleeping bags in the bunks. It baffled DW and I when I noticed it.

JeromyS

Just to follow-up. I've been in contact with Heartland and they are going to repair the damage and cover this shipping of the unit from WA to IN and back! Have I mentioned how amazing Heartland is? The unit is out of warrantee and they are going above and beyond to help us out with this issue! Really an amazing company dedicated to customer satisfaction. Might just have to have the 6 point leveling system installed while it's back that way.

JeromyS

To close out this thread in case it get's searched up. My 2012 37 Ultimate was supposed to be built with a 12" frame behind the axles. It was built with a 10" frame behind the axles which left it underspec'd for the weight of the two rear slides. Lippert added an additional 2" steel square tubing to the bottom of the existing frame after lifting it and repairing it and welded it the length. I drove back home 2200 miles and am happy to report no cracks on the rear slides. Heartland was amazing to work with on this issue and with a coach that was out of warranty. They have done so much for me it's hard to thank them enough! I'm just not sure how folks have such horrible stories with them and their issues. I called fully expecting having to pay and heartland covered everything (except some upgrades I wanted done while it was in IN).

As long as I'm in 5vers they have a customer for life!

Wmnmy

thank you for the updates nice to see great customer service and hear about good things happening happy camping keep enjoying your rig ....