2014 Gateway 3200RS

OntarioRV

Purchased my 2014 Gateway 3200RS in Ontario.

Besides a host of issues from the dealer the below items were / are still problems. Would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who could comment on my main two items below ... THE HEATING and the KITCHEN SIDE POP-OUT BOTTOM SEAL.

I am presently in contact with Heartland warranty and must say to date, have been very satisfied with the attention given ... however issues are yet to be resolved ... largely due to my work schedule and inability to keep on top of matters.

SMALL/MEDIUM ISUES / INCONVENIENCE

- rear jack / switch not operational - missed in dealer pdi but was replaced

- shower doors leak water / no silicon / had to put a bead of silicon myself

- Genesis entertainment system mismatched with TV. Genesis is not HD/TV and thus only has the 3 basic RCA cables / the TV on the other hand is HDTV but only has component and HDMI inputs .... thus my Genesis is only a lower end sound quality radio/music cd player. I will have to purchase a DVD player - and cut holes in the panelling to access 110V power.

MEDIUM ISSUE

30-40% of visible main frame, axle, and pop-out mechanisms are very rusty. Although the dealer likely had on his lot over the winter season, the amount of rust on painted surfaces to me shows inadequate paint preparation and/or film thickness issues ( I have experience with industrial paint standards / application ).
- so far, the thought mentioned by Heartland ( without having the benefit of a detail report by service tech ) is that this is normal.
- undercoating with oil will likely be what I do with the issue, but after spending the money, I just would not have expected this. I don't think one should have to crawl thru a new trailer like a full blown house inspection.

MAJOR ISSUES

1/ HEATING - raised issue with dealer service but was told my heating was 'normal'. The heat from the bathroom duct supplies about 50% of total air flow - very hot - to the point where the flooring becomes so soft that my foot imprint remains behind - can not walk on it without shoes. The bedroom duct supplies about 35% of the total air volume. It too is very hot - to the point that you can't sleep there when the heat comes on.
The two living room ducts have a combined 15% of the remaining air flow. Basically for what is supposed to be an 'all season trailer' ... I am unable to sleep in it on cooler nights. There is a 10-15C temp difference between the bedroom and the living area. The same is reflected in air temperatures coming form the vent.
I'm thinking perhaps the heating ducts are damaged leading to the living room

2/ KITCHEN POPOUT - very disgusted with this. The overall impression of Heartland attention to detail is good, but on the major things ... I don't have the same opinion. I have double seals on all pop-outs EXCEPT the bottom seal of the KITCHEN popout. The dining room popout goes out properly - and sinks down in. This and the bedroom popout have double seals top and bottom.
The Kitchen popout sits high - the rollers are easily visible standing in the trailer. The support rollers are mounted on top of plywood. The outer seal is a very basic rubber flap - single seal only! Dust and insects come in - not to mention issues of drafts!
From online photos - I have seen the same on one trailer ( bottom roller visible ) but on all other models ( especially US models of the 3200RS ) the gap is small and can not see the roller. What I have not been able to tell is whether these trialers have a single seal at the bottom or double.
It's designed this way, HEARTLAND should be shameful ... it's a real lack of basic requirements in what is a relatively expensive trialer. In my park, I've not see one other trailer with a single rubber gasket seal - including units half the price I paid.
I'D GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK FROM CUSTOMERS - I've lost all faith in the objectivity of my dealer and at a lost how to prove otherwise.
I'm guessing the pop-outs were not made to spec - and while on the assembly line ... what I have was their 'quick fix' ... shameful on Heartlands part to put out a trailer with this!

WARRANTY
Local jobbers inform me they couldn't undertake warranty jobs ... all have had bad cases with such ... also something about liability for repeat service? - but I should point out that none have serviced a Heartland trailer.
The closest 'competent' technician is 5 hrs one way by car. Heartland doesn't cover mileage/time driving.
Furthermore, with the scope of work, I'm almost certain he'd want in his ship. All in all - I will have to pay out of pocket about $2000 to have all this done. On this point - I'm also not impressed - it would have influenced my decision on purchase if I'd have known. My belief ... I paid good money for a 'finished' product ... if Heartland stands behind their product as 'quality', as they frequently mention, ... I fully expect them to cover all costs with warranty issues - or mention such in the warranty and/or include maximum caps on certain services.

All in all - I've been happy with the treatment of the warranty/service help desk so far .... still yet to see how far they go to rectify the problems. I still remain however thoroughly disgusted with the major defects on my purchase ( in a perfect world .... Heartland should have replaced the entire unit - it is just that bad! ).

I have the only Heartland RV in my local park / camp ground ... and can confidently say none of the 'regular / seasonal' campers aware of the issues will purchase a Heartland product in the future. They're all very much interested to see how it's resolved. :(

The first impression of the trailer is that it looks very good - and does have some very good features and workmanship for it's price point. But on the 'important things' they've certainly made serious and careless blunders.

danemayer

Hi OntarioRV,

I'm not sure whether your trailer is supposed to have a double seal on the slide, but I would think Heartland would be able to tell you the answer and if it needs a seal or adjustment, I'm sure they'll cover it under warranty.

Uneven heating is pretty typical but your uneven heating sounds worse than what most people experience, so you may have ducts that are damaged or not connected properly. The coroplast underbelly may have to be dropped to find the problem.

The closest 'competent' technician is 5 hrs one way by car. Heartland doesn't cover mileage/time driving.
Furthermore, with the scope of work, I'm almost certain he'd want in his ship. All in all - I will have to pay out of pocket about $2000 to have all this done.

If the issue here is that you've lost confidence in the local selling dealer, perhaps Heartland can work with them to get you better service. Or perhaps they can recommend an independent repair shop closer to you that's willing to accept warranty work. In any case, it's not at all obvious why repair of your 2 issues would take more than a few hours of dealer labor.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don't think one should have to crawl thru a new trailer like a full blown house inspection.

Actually, that is exactly what you should expect in the RV industry. To hit a price-point, often the assembly line is rushed to produce a product with what I'd call "sacrifices". These sacrifices could be the quality of building materials, internal components, appliances, features, and yes, construction techniques. You may think it is a "high-end" product because it's expensive in your eyes. But in the RV gamut of products, it's not truly in the "high-end". And thus, sacrifices were made to meet that price point.

I'm not making an excuse, just explaining how the RV industry works.

That said, yes, prior to purchasing you have to go through the unit with a fine-tooth comb, holding the dealer accountable -- and don't sign the papers until it's fixed.

After you sign, it gets much harder to make a dealer do anything in your favor. This is where Heartland seems to be different than many other manufacturers. They will work with customers to help solve warranty issues, often sending parts to owners so they can fix, avoiding dealer hassle. They can also authorize independent RV techs to do the repairs (trip charges are not covered, but you get faster, usually more competent service).

I would contact HL and be as nice as possible, they can get you fixed up. None of your issues seem worthy of trashing the brand or giving up on your rig, but I know they seem big right now. This will pass and soon you can begin to enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OntarioRV

Thanks - appreciate your reply.

Odd thing - I've had reply from two separate people - one in MN and one in IL.
One indicates their 3200RS has the double seal ( bulb seal + flap ) and the other only the flap, same as mine.

Now - don't know what to think?

Hi OntarioRV,

I'm not sure whether your trailer is supposed to have a double seal on the slide, but I would think Heartland would be able to tell you the answer and if it needs a seal or adjustment, I'm sure they'll cover it under warranty.

Uneven heating is pretty typical but your uneven heating sounds worse than what most people experience, so you may have ducts that are damaged or not connected properly. The coroplast underbelly may have to be dropped to find the problem.

If the issue here is that you've lost confidence in the local selling dealer, perhaps Heartland can work with them to get you better service. Or perhaps they can recommend an independent repair shop closer to you that's willing to accept warranty work. In any case, it's not at all obvious why repair of your 2 issues would take more than a few hours of dealer labor.

dsilbe2

New Heartland 3200 RS owner here -
Purchased unit 12/22/14 headed South on 12/28/14 - 14 days it this month long trip - with openings under the kitchen slide -
there are openings about 1.5 inches square on each end - bottom corner-
What have you or the dealer done to correct ?