JT Stabilizer Jacks

Superduty

Grand Canyon
Over the past weekend the family and I visited the local sport show.. On one 5th wheel RV they had these www.jtrv.com I was very impressed.

I was just wondering if anybody else has had any experience with these?

Any input is greatly appreciated...

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I've had JT Strongarms on a 33' TT and two 5er's. Wouldn't be without them...they stop almost all the front/back and side to side movement and are easily transfered from vehicle to vehicle. All you need is the proper brackets based on the type of frame on your RV. One of the best investments we've ever made, especially since we fulltime.

linuxkidd

I agree completely. We have been full timing in our Landmark since Dec 15th. Installed the JT Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers about a month ago. HUGE difference!

Pretty much the only movement you feel after this install is some vibration from the washer when it's on the spin cycle. All the rest is gone!

Well worth every penny spent on them. I did the install myself, not that hard. Only tough spot was where the rear jack stabilizers meet up with the frame.

LK

Superduty

Grand Canyon
Thanks for the input...
I checked out our Camper, and noticed that I do not have a place to mount the stabilizer's at the very front. Will have to add a piece of angle iron across the front to get them mounted... Everything else looks fairly straight forward... Or I might have the dealership install... Either way I am going to make the purchase. With 5 in the family getting the RV more steady will make everyone happy...

Thanks

linuxkidd

Superduty: On your big horn, I believe it'll be the same as my Landmark install... You don't need another cross memeber... You end up putting stiffening bars on the top and bottom of the steel floor of the front compartment where the Generator would go. The instructions available here (PDF) go into explicit detail on the full installation.

Superduty

Grand Canyon
Thanks,

I have looked at the installation instructions... I just thought it might be a bit stronger if I just welded the angle iron between the frame. But I will take a good look at stiffening up the floor. Probably will end up going that route...

One more question.

On the rear jacks, do you have the stabilizer arms positioned to the front of the coach, or are they to the side??

I ask because the instructions show them going to the center of the coach, and the RV that I saw at the sport show had the rear stabilizer arms at an angle going to the front of the coach.

The dealership was out of the specific ones that I needed.... They are ordered and paid for... Should be in by tuesday of next week...

linuxkidd

The rear stabilizers actually go toward the center behind the Electric jacks.

Here's a few photo's of my install:
DSCF9003.JPG
DSCF9004.JPG

Click HERE for a few more photos

I tried the method they list in the instructions for the rear install when the C channel cross member is covered by insulation. ( Drill smaller holes, use the self tapping bolts through the stand-offs). A few problems with this setup.
1. The self tapping bolts were a major pain in the rear to get going. I had to use my screw gun on 'Drill' speed to get it to finally catch.
2. One of them stripped completely.
3. The ones that did hold, didn't seem to provide movement free mounting.

So, I took those out and went a different route. I used a utility knife to cut a flap out of the insulation material ( corrugated plastic cardboard look'n stuff ). Leaving one side attached. I cut this flap starting at the back edge of the C Channel cross member (found by poking holes through with a small drill bit), toward the front and big enough for me to get my hand into with a wrench. I then followed the instructions provided for installing with an Exposed C Channel ( swivel bolts up through the C Channel, with washers and a lock nut on top ). If you go this route ( which I recommend ), I strongly suggest that any tool you put up inside the 'belly' be attached to a safety line. I dropped one boxed end wrench in there twice and had to fish it out with a magnet...

Once you finish the install with the above method, fold the flap back down and cut out just enough of it to allow the flap to close securely. I've thought about sealing it with some sort of tape, but I don't really think it's necessary as long as you have a tight seal that will hold the flaps closed.

Hope this helps!
LK

Superduty

Grand Canyon
Thanks a ton for the pictures....

They will really help me out...

Will get started on the project sometime next week...

linuxkidd

np... The biggest suggestion I have is... Read all the instructions about twice before you start... Then, when you actually start, follow the instructions word for word. Use a pen or pencil and actually place a check mark beside each step when you complete it..

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I get instant email notices to my phone when new posts are made (well, from 7am to 9pm they're sent to my phone.. the off hours notices get synced up in the mornings). So, I can normally respond pretty quickly on the forums.
LK

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We ordered ours from Tweety.com today. It is one of several sites we found that have them for under $300 and free shipping. We also ordered a DEMCO Glide Ride King Pin for $90 below MSRP and free shipping.

JT Accessories that makes the Strong Arm also makes things called Elephant Feet and Elephant Shoes to replace the stock feet on the telescoping jacks both front and back. They increase the surface area of the feet a lot and the "shoes" are rubber to reduce the chance of the "feet" slipping on smooth surfaces and inclines you have to set up on. We found those at RV Wholesalers online and decided to get those as well. All this stuff should stop the trailer from moving while we are parked and help it absorb motion when we are moving.

Kristy

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Glad To Hear These Jacks Are So Good! Out Tripod On Our 3400rl Is Not Too Helpful

jpmorgan37

Wayne;

If you have a Trail Aire hitch, the air bag kinda nullifies the benefit of the Tripod, unless you let all of the air out of the air bag and crank it up hard. (At least, so I've been told.)

John

Superduty

Grand Canyon
Finally got them installed....Everything went very well with the install. No big problems... Just takes time to get the measurements right...Now I just have to remember to tighten the T handles when I lower and raise the landing legs....

Do they make a big difference??
I will not be able to give a solid yes or no until we are able to go out and try them... It has been to cold. My initial feeling is yes... But it has to pass the wife test....

Sold the Bi-Pod already so no turning back...

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Another option for the stabilizer system

I attended a meeting this week with the Turbo Diesel Register (TDR) group and Dutch and Diane Irrgang were demonstrating their own brand of RV stabilizers. They sell for $250 for front and back and $150 for front ones only - both with free shipping. They will install for $100 if they happen to be in your area. They are full timers with a 38' Carriage and the total weight of both units is 28,000#, but I'm not sure how much the trailer was of the total package. Anyway, I could not budge the unit with the stabilizers locked down. Very convenient. I plan to order a set for the front and rear. Here is their website...

www.plugitright.com

Fordsd250

StesadyFast.com

I was reading the new and improved Highways Mag and found a ad for Steadyfast.com and was wondering if anyone has tried are seen demo of this brand???

kognito

I've had JT Strongarms on a 33' TT and two 5er's. Wouldn't be without them...they stop almost all the front/back and side to side movement and are easily transfered from vehicle to vehicle. All you need is the proper brackets based on the type of frame on your RV. One of the best investments we've ever made, especially since we fulltime.

How well do they work with the winds in Mission??? None