Apollo 1/2 time oven microwave function not working

Ellie

We have the original Apollo Model AAC24BIB in our 2008 3670RL Bighorn. The microwave function quit today, but all other modes work. We are located in Saskatchewan, so I doubt we have a nearby repair dealer. Has anyone suggestions about troubleshooting? I would consider replacing with just a microwave if anyone can suggest a model that will fit. This forum has been a huge help to me over the years, and I am hoping all the helpful people will chime in with ideas!
Thanks so much!!

Birchwood

We replaced our convection oven with a nice microwave at half the cost.We never used the convection part of our oven.We just carefully measured for a replacement size and installed it myself.Very happy with our choice and decision as my wife only uses the propane oven.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I just did a Google search and came up with Apollo. There's also this thread from the Heartland Owners site.
Please let us know how you make out as a lot of our rigs still have the Apollo units installed

Garypowell

We had a 2008 with this combo unit and replaced it with another brand with the same combo features.

you are probably smart to just go with microwave. Once you remove the trim you will see there is a seperate blower assembly that the Apollo controls. With the convection mode the small space gets too hot so they designed in this blower.

I was was able to make it work but every time we wanted to use the convection we had to flip the switch I installed to turn this blower on.

Not a a big deal but by going with microwave only I don't think you'll need the blower.

We we were very fortunate that we found a unit that fit the cavity AND the trim piece still worked.

jimtoo

Hi Gary,

Could you post the brand and model of the microwave you replaced the apollo with.

Might help someone else.

Jim M

Ellie

I KNEW you folks would help me out!!! I have taken measurements of the actual unit, as well as the size of the opening with the trim piece so I will now search for a microwave that fits. I rarely used anything but the microwave mode so that is all I will look for as a replacement. I am assuming the brackets in the cabinet can be modified to hold it. We are going to be away for several weeks and I will get back to you once I get my husband to drag this 59 pound beast (according to the specs) out of the cabinet and load it into the truck! Thanks again, for all the helpful input. I will keep you posted with results.

wdk450

Hi Gary,

Could you post the brand and model of the microwave you replaced the apollo with.

Might help someone else.

Jim M

Jim:
I am not Gary, but i replaced my Apollo with a Sharp R-309Y microwave, which fits the bezel correctly, but needs some modifications to the plastic base adapter screwed inside the opening. Specifically, I had to saw the horizontal connecting arm of the "H" shape apart to get the two foot seat assemblies (the 2 vertical arms of the H) to get the right foot spacing for the Sharp R-309. I fooled around with the placement of the footings and bezel before finally screwing the footings down to the wood. I also built a retainer assembly from a right angle metal brace and a flattened right angle metal brace (to make a flat plate). The flat plate attached to the bottom rear of the microwave center screw. and the angle brace was positioned on the bottom of the cabinet to mate with it. I drilled a hole through both metal pieces so I could install an attaching screw and nut to hold them together.

When I want to bake, I either use the oven or a DeLongi countertop combination oven/convection oven/broiler/rotisserie I carry with me.

jimtoo

Thanks Bill,

I just wanted to get some information maybe for future use for myself and now being posted it might help some other Heartlander also.
Thanks for the info in modifying the base bracket.

Jim M

Garypowell

Jim,

that rig was traded in 2 years ago. The OP is on the right track by taking measurement and seeing what is available.

Ellie

Okay...Ellie (OP) is back with an update on my deceased Apollo Half Time Oven. I found a black Panasonic Genius (Inverter model) that fit very closely in the black bevel surrounding the Apollo. After my husband heaved the Apollo beast into the back of my truck for me to take to the recycler, I spent some time following the instructions from the helpful posts above and was using my new microwave in about 50 minutes. The trickiest part of the modification was prying those little plastic caps off the decorative bevel without scratching it. Use a teeny, tiny flat blade screwdriver and pry very carefully! After accessing the H-shaped frame under the Apollo, I took out all the screws and used my husband's zip-cut to cut it down the middle. The sides that hold the microwave feet needed to be moved about an inch to each side to accommodate the new feet. I put everything back together, and realized that the frame (bevel) needed to be moved very slightly off centre to accommodate the door swinging open. Everything went back together nicely, and it looks almost the same as before, except the microwave works now! Many thanks for all the help!

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have that 1/2 time oven too I just love it . my microwave quit too but my husband fixed it he was gonna take it out but I told him no I wanted the 1/2 time oven I would have done without the microwave part but he fixed and all is good. Glad you got it a new one ..

wdk450

Ellie:
Congratulations of your repair!!! You sound like a pretty useful lady to have around!!!