Diesel Boys, check those batteries!

ChopperBill

While in Parker AZ. my DIC said "service 4 WD. Took it to the dealer and they said I had to have the computer re-programed. OK $177. Going home the cab rear view mirror went black. They are also computer controlled so I called them. Said to bring it in the next day. Next day mirror worked on its own. Two days later all the gauges quit working! Shut if off and on to no avail. Later that day they stared working. Was relieved. Leaving to come home I got in the truck and it wouldn't start! Boy was I *****! Got the batteries recharged and went to town and bought two new Interstates at $80 a piece. Work part time for an ag dealer that is an Interstate dealer and could have saved $60! Everything worked great since then and came to the conclusion that the low voltage messed with the computer. Lots of folks tell me their batteries only last 3-4 years on a diesel. Just some info for you folks with old batteries.

nhunter

I would love to get 3-4 years. I run a 400w inverter all day with the truck shut off a lot of the time and my batteries usually last 1-1.5 years. Usually find out when it gets cold.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Chopper, mine are going on 3 years now. So far so good. A word of caution to all of you. Never hook up jumper cables wrong, you will smoke everything in your vehical. All vehical computers are protected from over charge on the positive side, but NOT the negative side. POOF:eek: Bob

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Thanks Bill...thats really good to know. I'm a little over three years on mine and hoping for a few more. I have always got good service from my Delco's batteries from my previous trucks, the last gasser had a 7 year rating and didn't bite the dust till 7 yrs - 3 months.

BJ'sDad

I don't tow or camp as much as the rest of you, but my 01 Ram is still on the original batteries.

StevieWonder

Another warning to customers of The General:

The side post batteries GM uses are infamous for having the posts literally pull out of the battery, allowing acid to splash out. I had this happen a year ago on my 2005 GMC Duramax and the acid severely corroded everything below it including my driveway. NO indications of battery issues in the cab until I noticed the acid on the driveway. Battery was less than 2 yrs old at the time. Warranty covered it but the fix for the acid damage was a coat of spray paint that lasted a few weeks at best.

IF YOU HAVE SIDE POST BATTERIES, CHECK THEM OFTEN.

nhunter

Father in-law has a 07 Tahoe and they no longer use the side post terminals. His has the normal style post.

cmart

I changed out my factory batteries in 07 on my 02 Duramax, wasn't having any problems but also didn't want any on the road, then I changed out my factory tires and upgraded there, then my DW comes out and says "ok, since you have new tires and batteries I suppose your going to trade it in".

Uncle Rog

Dead Batteries?

Howdy, 2 weeks ago I had to charge the batteries to get going. They are only 8 mos old as the dealer tried to rip me off and replaced the batteries with out fixing the truck. They fixed the truck and I basically got some free ones. My dilemma is I have no idea what burned them down, never had a problem before or since. I was using the TPMS for a day or so, and had it plugged in, but it had been unplugged for a couple of days when the truck wouldn't start....bugs the * out of me.........!

Uncle Rog

Dead Again!

I have the charger back on the batteries, same thing as last April. I have had the hood open for a day as I was cleaning the air filter / collection chamber. Since there is no hood light how could this happen? The doors were not ajar as far as I can tell and the interior lights were off.................

DennisZ

i just had to replace my 1 1/2 year old batteries. Went to the battery shop where I got them and they told me I must have a drain on the system. When they checked it, there was NO drain. Every time it got a little cold, the batteries would struggle, they finally gave out all the way last Friday. Went to Costco and got 2 new ones, cost about $150 for the pair with a 3 year 100% replacement and another 4 year pro-rated. The pro-ration on the old batteries would have cost me more than the new ones from Costco.

BTW, in a recent survey of batteries that I saw, the Costco batteries were rated as one of the best available.

Dennis

Uncle Rog

Baffled........

I must have had a door ajar or something, the charger only took 5 minutes to get the engine to turn over and fire right up.........I let it run for 10 minutes just to see if it would start, fired right up, charging is good, must be pilot error, never mind..........

Uncle Rog

I had to jump the truck again this AM, somrehing is going on....................Two weeks of perfect performance then zippo, the clock even stopped!

Shadowchek

I had that problem on my 98 dodge it turned out to be the light in the glove box. The switch occasionally would not shut the light off . It was very frustrating to find.It only takes one little thing.

Greg